[comp.misc] Me, a manager??

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (06/05/90)

Right off the bat I'd like to say this probably doesn't belong here, but I can't
think of a better place to put it.  Straight from one of my worst nightmares
I seem to have been assigned 2 worker bees.  I have never managed anyone else,
I feel fortunate to be able to manage myself.  Before I give the wrong
impression, I'm at the point in my career where I either start managing people
or hit the ceiling of the proverbial career ladder.  (I won't bring up the
complaint of why, now that I'm at my peak of technical brilliance, I can no
longer do technical work).

Anyway, how did those of you out there who have done this do it?  Can anyone
give me some advice, tips, whips, er, uh, wrong century.  Any good books I
can buy?  As you can probably tell I have a lot of misgivings about this, but
I don't see how I can get out of it.  If I blow it for me thats one thing, but
I really don't want to screw up 2 people just getting started in the field.

Guess I should mention I'm a 'computing professional', which means 10 years
ago I started playing with computers and now I get paid megabucks to do it.
And re-reading this I feel I could give some people the wrong impression.
I'm not against managing 2 people, I'm just nervous as hell and don't want
to screw up too badly.

--
jim		jharkins@sagpd1

I hate to see you go, but I love to see you walk away.

  Here at Project Athena, our recent reorganization has placed a lot
more people than before in the position of being managers of other
groups of people.  Often, the newly created managers are technically
oriented individuals (i.e. "hackers" :-) who have little interest or
experience in managing; also, the new managers are often managing peers
rather than people lower than they are on the "corporate ladder", and
peer management is usually more difficult than managing people lower in
the chain of command than you are.

  Athena's upper management responded to this by hiring an outside
consulting firm to design a two-day management course tailored to
Project Athena's environment, and asking staff members who are likely to
need this kind of experience to participate in the course.  I was one of
the people who did the course, which is why I know about it.  (The
course just happened last week, so it's convenient that you've asked
about this now :-)

  Although it may not be convenient or cost-effective for your employers
to arrange for a management course given on-site, you may be able to
find such courses offered in your area for general enrollment; you may
even be able to get your employers to pay for you taking the course.
Unfortunately, such a generalized course won't be quite as beneficial as
one tailored specifically to the needs present in your environment;
however, it will certainly be useful to you, and may reassure you and
give you a better idea of how to proceed with your managing.

  At the very least, such a course looks good on a resume.

  Hope this helps.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710

tjo@its.bt.co.uk (Tim Oldham) (06/06/90)

In article <802@sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) writes:
>[How do you manage?]

Start with Drucker's ``Management: Tasks, Responsibilites, Practices''
and go from there. It pays to start at the top and understand what the
aims of management are. Personal opinion: everybody should read this book.

Of course, some people don't agree with Drucker, but I'd say he's pretty
right on.

	Tim.
--
Tim Oldham, BT Applied Systems. tjo@its.bt.co.uk or ...uunet!ukc!its!tjo
Living in interesting times.

rhill@ncrws1.Peachtree.NCR.COM (Dick Hill) (06/06/90)

In article <802@sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) writes:

Several years ago I too was "promoted" into this non-dead-end position. Luckily
I had been placed in charge of my own kind. The only reason I was chosen was
I was dumb enough to do it, and my brain was becoming cluttered and unusable. SoI had to make the best of a situation and educate myself in creative whip
wielding.

>Anyway, how did those of you out there who have done this do it?  Can anyone
>give me some advice, tips, whips, er, uh, wrong century.  Any good books I
>can buy?  As you can probably tell I have a lot of misgivings about this, but
>I don't see how I can get out of it.  If I blow it for me thats one thing, but
>I really don't want to screw up 2 people just getting started in the field.

Something important to me was not desturbing the flow of ideas and infringing
on the creativeness of my group. I had to manage without managing. Some good
books are: The One Minute Manager, there is also a film on the book that is
very good; How to Win Frends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie, old but
impressive.

>And re-reading this I feel I could give some people the wrong impression.
>I'm not against managing 2 people, I'm just nervous as hell and don't want
>to screw up too badly.

Get into some management classes at you corner college. With the legal
hassles that a manager can get into these should contain some simple law
courses. This primarily will deal with descrimination problems, promotions
demotions and actions that can be taken with employees so you and your company
don't put yourself in a legally vulnerable situation.

        The best of luck to you...

R.Hill@peachtree.ncr.com

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (06/07/90)

In article <_'`$'1+@masalla.fulcrum.bt.co.uk> tjo@its.bt.co.uk (Tim Oldham) writes:
>In article <802@sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) writes:
>>[How do you manage?]
>
>Start with Drucker's ``Management: Tasks, Responsibilites, Practices''
>and go from there. It pays to start at the top and understand what the
>aims of management are. Personal opinion: everybody should read this book.

Missed the original message by Jim, so this may be a bit off base.  The
best book I've read about managing programmers was: Managing Software
People by Phillip Metzger (the title may be a bit off).  The book is short,
readable, and obviously by someone who has actually managed software
people (i.e. matches many of my own experiences).  A book for putting the
whole software PROCESS together is: Managing the Software Process by
Watts Humphrey, again by someone who obviously had done it for a living.

Too many books/articles on software management are *academic* where 100
businesses/projects/etc are studied and generalized from.  While this
is interesting and useful, sometimes I would rather hear a complete story
from one individual who has done well in the field.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8496    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force

ray3rd@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ray E. Saddler III) (06/08/90)

There's always: The One Minute Manager

	    By: Kenneth Blanchard, Ph.D.
		Spencer Johnson, Ph.D.

          ISBN: 0-425-09847-8

     Publisher: Berkley Publishing Company
		200 Madison Avenue
		New York, NY. 10016
--
Ray E. Saddler III                 UseNet            ___ ___ ___ ___     ___
CAD System/Network Admin  uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ray3rd  /__//  //__  /  /\ //  _

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (06/08/90)

In article <7459@fy.sei.cmu.edu> bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) writes:

> Too many books/articles on software management are *academic* where 100
> businesses/projects/etc are studied and generalized from.  While this
> is interesting and useful, sometimes I would rather hear a complete story
> from one individual who has done well in the field.

A former roommate of mine (an excellent software-engineer and "hacker"
in the best sense of the term) commented to me a few months ago:

	"Managing senior programmers is like herding cats."

--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (06/08/90)

I'd like to recommend a couple of good books for software
managers.

1.  ``Peopleware---Productive Projects and Teams,'' Tom de
    Marco and Timothy Lister (Dorset House, 1987).

    Overtime for salaried workers is a figment of the naive
    manager's imagination.  Oh, there might be some benefit
    in a few extra hours worked on Saturday to meet a Monday
    deadline, but that's almost always followed by an equal
    period of compensatory ``undertime'' while the workers
    catch up with their lives. (p. 15)

    American office workers have barely looked up while their
    work quarters have been degraded from sensible to silly.
    Not so long ago, they worked in two- and three-person
    offices with walls, doors, and windows....  In such space,
    one could work in quiet or conduct meetings with colleagues
    without disrupting neigbors.  Then, without warning,
    open-plan seating was upon us like a plague upon the
    land.... (p. 52)

    During single-minded work time, people are ideally in a
    state that psychologists call FLOW.... Unfortunately,
    you can't turn on flow like a switch.  It takes a slow
    descent into the subject, requiring fifteen minutes or
    more of concentration before the state is locked in.
    During this immersion period, you are particularly
    sensitive to noise and interruption.... Once locked in,
    the state can be broken by an interruption that is
    focused on you (your phone, for instance) or by insistent
    noise (``Attention!  Paging Paul Portulaca.'')....  If
    the average incoming phone call takes five minutes and
    your reimmersion period is 15 minutes, the total cost
    of that call in flow time (work time) lost is 20 minutes.
    A dozen phone calls use up half a day.  A dozen other
    interruptions and the rest of the work day is gone.  This
    is what guarantees, ``You never get anything done around
    here between 9 and 5.'' (p. 63)

2. ``Up the organization'' by Robert Townsend (Fawcett, 1970).

    There's nothing fundamentally wrong with our country except
    that the leaders of all our major organizations are
    operating on the wrong assumptions.  We're in this mess
    because for the last 200 years we've been using the Catholic
    Church and Caesar's legions as our pattern for creating
    organizations.  And until the last forty or fifty years it
    made sense.  The average churchgoer, soldier, and factory
    worker was uneducated and dependent on orders from above...
    (``People,'' p. 119)

    A manager cannot take as an excuse for his mistakes in
    business an order given by his boss or his boss's boss,
    when the person giving the order is absent from the field
    of operations and is imperfectly aware or wholly unaware
    of the latest state of affairs.  It follows that any
    manager who undertakes to carry out a plan which he
    considers defective is at fault; he must put forward his
    reasons, insist on the plan being changed, and finally
    tender his resignation rather than be the the instrument
    of his organization's downfall. (``Disobedience and its
    necessity,'' p. 35, paraphrasing Napoleon)

    People have different metabolisms.  If you work better
    from noon to midnight and your job makes those hours
    appropriate, you should be able to do it. (``Office
    hours,'' p. 113)
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber