[comp.misc] BIX Gateway?

lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) (07/04/90)

Is there a way to send mail to people on Byte Magazine's BIX
service?

Lar

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (07/05/90)

In article <14187@venera.isi.edu> lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:

>Is there a way to send mail to people on Byte Magazine's BIX
>service?

I don't know of one.  But you can find people who have accounts on
both systems, and they can do it manually...

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (07/06/90)

In article <12241@asylum.SF.CA.US> sharon@asylum.UUCP (Sharon Fisher) writes:
>In article <14187@venera.isi.edu> lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
>>
>>Is there a way to send mail to people on Byte Magazine's BIX
>>service?
[stuff omitted]

I understand that there is a gateway operating.  I don't know how to get email
from bix to internet, but to get from internet to bix, try the following:

	user@dcibix.das.net

The bad news is that DASnet is a commercial gateway service, and someone has
to pay for it.  I understand that bix subscribers can ask for the service,
and can be charged for it by Byte Magazine who in turn pay DASnet.

For more information, check out the "Inter-Network Mail Guide".  I don't have
a publisher or author.

Disclaimer:  This is information I read elsewhere on Usenet, confirmed by
reliable parties about one year ago.  Please check it out for yourself to
be sure these resources are still available.
--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822  | Wisdom is beyond price, my son.  Be
paul@Atherton.COM                  | grateful that you have it.

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (07/06/90)

In article <26657@athertn.Atherton.COM> paul@Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) writes:
>In article <12241@asylum.SF.CA.US> sharon@asylum.UUCP (Sharon Fisher) writes:
>>In article <14187@venera.isi.edu> lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
>>>Is there a way to send mail to people on Byte Magazine's BIX
>>>service?
>[stuff omitted]
>
>I understand that there is a gateway operating.  I don't know how to get email
>from bix to internet, but to get from internet to bix, try the following:
>
>	user@dcibix.das.net
>
>The bad news is that DASnet is a commercial gateway service, and someone has
>to pay for it.  I understand that bix subscribers can ask for the service,
>and can be charged for it by Byte Magazine who in turn pay DASnet.

Oh.   I thought the person had been asking about a direct gateway.
Yes, DASnet does indeed have such a service.  I understand it's kind
of expensive, but if you *have* to send stuff between the two
services, it does work.