[comp.misc] The word "recurse"

zweig@IDA.ORG (Johnny zweig) (07/13/90)

I recently saw the following (abbreviated) pseudocode for a tree-traversal:

	procedure PRINT-LEAVES ( node )
	if node is a leaf then print node's name;
	else node must have children, so recurse once for each one;

My dictionary (-ies -- I tried 5) does not define the word "recurse", and
every definition of "recursive" just mentions a procedure/function that is
able to "call itself".  I have heard "recurse" used synonymously with "call
myself" often enough, but it seems like "recur" might be a more correct
choice.  Or maybe "recursivate" or "recursivize" (wink!).

Any language-lawyers (for Standard Computational English) out there know
whether "recurse" is really a word?

-Johnny English

jmlake@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (John Michael Lake) (07/13/90)

From the on-line version of the Oxford English Dictionary, which I know
you have access to, Johnny.

1 match
recurse, v. Obs. rare [-1 ]. [ad. L. recurs-are: see prec. ] intr.   To recur.
  1638 COWLEY Love's Riddle II. i, My father, mother, and my brother Recurse
unto my thoughts, and straight plucke downe The resolution I had built before.

Mike
"I'm not a lawyer, but I used to fancy one"

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (07/13/90)

John Michael Lake (jmlake@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu) writes:
+--
| From the on-line version of the Oxford English Dictionary...
|   recurse, v. Obs. rare [-1 ]. [ad. L. recurs-are: see prec. ]
|     intr.   To recur.
+--              ^^^^^

There's your answer.  Recursive functions may be said to recur.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

jeffd@ficc.ferranti.com (Jeff Daiell) (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jul12.181205.6868@IDA.ORG>, zweig@IDA.ORG (Johnny zweig) writes:

> Any language-lawyers (for Standard Computational English) out there know
> whether "recurse" is really a word?
>
> -Johnny English

Yes.  It means "to condemn again".

Jeff Daiell

PS - {|8^)]

--
              "Buy land.  They've stopped making it."

                                 -- Mark Twain

swsh@midway.uchicago.edu (Janet M. Swisher) (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jul12.181205.6868@IDA.ORG> zweig@IDA.ORG (Johnny zweig) writes:

>I have heard "recurse" used synonymously with "call
>myself" often enough

So, if I leave a message for myself on my own answering machine, am I
recursing?  :-)

Janet

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (07/14/90)

In article <1990Jul12.181205.6868@IDA.ORG> zweig@IDA.ORG (Johnny zweig) writes:

>Any language-lawyers (for Standard Computational English) out there know
>whether "recurse" is really a word?

Why not? For instance:

	Curse!		Damn!
	Recurse!	Damn again!

--
Anders Thulin       ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath
Telesoft Europe AB, Teknikringen 2B, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul13.154216.26858@midway.uchicago.edu> swsh@midway.uchicago.edu (Janet M. Swisher) writes:
>In article <1990Jul12.181205.6868@IDA.ORG> zweig@IDA.ORG (Johnny zweig) writes:
>
>>I have heard "recurse" used synonymously with "call
>>myself" often enough
>
>So, if I leave a message for myself on my own answering machine, am I
>recursing?  :-)
>
>Janet

    No, but if you call yourself at home, and you answer, then you are.
--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

ilanc@microsoft.UUCP (Ilan CARON) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul13.154216.26858@midway.uchicago.edu> swsh@midway.uchicago.edu (Janet M. Swisher) writes:

>So, if I leave a message for myself on my own answering machine, am I
>recursing?  :-)

That would depend on whether you used foul language or not...

--ilan (ilanc@microsoft.UUCP)