[comp.misc] Summary: Public Domain, Shareware, etc.

magnus@THEP.LU.SE (Magnus Olsson) (07/30/90)

Thanks to all the people who responded to my question. I've received
about 15 e-mail messages, all of them more or less identical to the ones
that got posted here, so

PLEASE don't send me any more email on this issue - unless you have
something truly novel to contribute, in which case you'd better post it
here anyway.

I apparently used too narrow a definition of 'Freeware' - obviously most
people interpret it as meaning "everything that's free" while I used it for
"Free software that's not Public Domain".

One of the emails pointed out that you may not register a copyright in your
own name for someone else's PD programs. That sounds rather reasonable, and
is about what I meant by "you can't pass PD programs off as your own".
Apparently, it's not legally forbidden to do it, though - but I imagine you
*might* end up in rather a mess if you do it *too* aggressively (maybe even
it could count as fraud in some cases).

It was interesting to hear that it obviously isn't clear whether it's
allowed to keep Shareware without paying. I've never liked the kind of
shareware where the documentation says something like "You may use this
program for two weeks without paying. If you decide to keep it after that
period, you MUST pay $400. Otherwise, you are not allowed to keep the
software". After all, it's clear that the authors have no way of enforcing
this - I doubt any court would issue a search warrant just on the
*suspicion* that someone is using unpaid shareware!

IMHO, I think that if the authors really want *all* their users to pay,
they should distribute a "crippled" demo version for free and sell the full
version. "Crippleware" may be annoying - but nobody's forcing you to use
it, after all

Magnus Olsson		     	| \e+ 	   /_
Dept. of Theoretical Physics 	|  \  Z	  / q
University of Lund, Sweden	|   >----<
Internet: magnus@thep.lu.se	|  /	  \===== g
Bitnet: THEPMO@SELDC52 		| /e-	   \q

In article <9007300856.AA19891@thep.lu.se> magnus@THEP.LU.SE (Magnus Olsson) writes:
> I've never liked the kind of
>shareware where the documentation says something like "You may use this
>program for two weeks without paying. If you decide to keep it after that ....

While it's easy to see why people say they don't like this kind of shareware
when it is contrasted with the "Pay if you feel like it" shareware, I still
find it odd that it generates such negative feeling, even contrasted with
regular software which is "you may not open the box and use it even once unless
you pay."

In fact, It almost seems that that former type of shareware generates more
negative feeling than regular commercial software, and I would venture that
the *vast* majority of people own far more commercial programs than shareware
type I programs.   Even though the Shareware type I authors are being far
more reasonable and far nicer to the customer than the regular authors.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons that the Shareware concept is a failure.
You don't remind people strongly enough about payment and they don't pay.
You remind them strongly and they resent it and don't pay.