[comp.misc] Where can I find.....

mikej@marob.masa.com (Michael Johnston) (07/18/90)

I have been asked by a friend to get a hold of a document apparently
published by the Department of Defense regarding 'Software Quality' or
something or other. The document # he gave me is of the form:

	DOD-STD-2167

Can someone tell me where I may FTP this from? Thank you.

--
Michael R. Johnston                          / mikej@marob.masa.com
System Administrator         Temporary Email:

jep@oldcolo.UUCP (Josep Pfauntsch) (07/28/90)

The DUD standard for Software Quality is not anything you want,
unless you're in the business of "ripping the govmt off" - the
Aerospace Industry.  It's good for a bunch of laughs, though, if
you've ever developed any real code.  My recommendation is to use
the standards described in the "C" programming language book, or
follow the format used for X-Windows, otherwise you'll soon have
an army of experts telling you what's right and what's wrong.

You know Ford Aerospace is up for sale (has been for six month)
and there aren't any buyers.  Kinney Shoes is said to be interested,
they want to expand their line of loafers.

You may also wish to investigate DoD-Std-2167A, while you're at it.
Any reputable Aerospace firm will have both in their technical
library.

rlk@telesoft.com (Bob Kitzberger @sation) (08/03/90)

In article <[574.1]comp.misc;1@oldcolo.UUCP>, jep@oldcolo.UUCP (Josep Pfauntsch) writes:
> The DUD standard for Software Quality is not anything you want,
> unless you're in the business of "ripping the govmt off" - the
> Aerospace Industry.  It's good for a bunch of laughs, though, if
> you've ever developed any real code.  My recommendation is to use
> the standards described in the "C" programming language book, or
> follow the format used for X-Windows, otherwise you'll soon have
> an army of experts telling you what's right and what's wrong.

There's no need to slander an entire industry.  The US Aerospace industry
produces some of the most sophisticated pieces of technology in the world,
many of which are "mission-critical", (MCCR) meaning that system failure means
loss of life or limb.  I would hardly use X-Windows or ANY C code I've
seen (or written, for that matter ;-) as an example of software
quality and reliability.  "Oooohhh... the system embedded in your airplane
just did a pretty core dump -- we'll just reboot at Mach 2!".   Unacceptable
for MCCR stuff, yet common practice in the Sun/UNIX development environment
I'm currently working in.

The problem domains faced by DoD and the UNIX/X-Windwos/C world aren't
the same -- don't expect the same standards or methods of quality to be
appropriate for both.

> You know Ford Aerospace is up for sale (has been for six month)
> and there aren't any buyers.  Kinney Shoes is said to be interested,
> they want to expand their line of loafers.

Come on, this has nothing to do with SQA practices in use at Ford Aero.

	.Bob.
--
Bob Kitzberger               Internet : rlk@telesoft.com
TeleSoft                     uucp     : ...!ucsd.ucsd.edu!telesoft!rlk