[comp.misc] NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS POLICIES

seaotter@athena.mit.edu (Stacy L Ramirez) (07/12/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>>POLICIES
>
>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.
>
>The man's hypocracy is astounding!
>
>Major
>major@pta.oz.au
>
>--
>Major
>major@pta.oz.au

The man is no longer at Lotus.  He left the company he founded after tiring of
the day-to-day business decisions of a firmly entrenched company.  Kapor now
works on his new company, On Technology(ies?).

The head honcho at Lotus now is Jim Manzi, whose business experience Kapor
sought in starting up Lotus.  If you want to point fingers, point them at
Mr Manzi.

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/12/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au>, major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
> geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>>POLICIES
>
> If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
> the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
> company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
> a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.
>
> The man's hypocracy is astounding!

To be fair, I don't think that Mitch Kapor has much, if any say, in
the running of Lotus Corp. these days, he may still own some stock but
I don't think he's in charge. Admittedly, he should make Lotus first
on the lawsuit list, but hey ....

Of course, I don't know precisely what I'm talking about, but I seem
to remember Mitch being ousted from control at some point.

--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

dgh@Unify.Com (David Harrington) (07/12/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>>POLICIES
>
>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.

I'm not commenting on the Lotus "look and feel" suits, but I think you are
flaming the wrong person.  Kapor left Lotus several years ago to start another
company, ON Technology.  There was an extensive article on the front page of
the Wall Street Journal several months back about his efforts to bring ON's
first product to market.

I doubt he had anything to do with the litigation.

--
David Harrington                                      internet: dgh@unify.COM
Unify Corporation                              ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!dgh

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (07/12/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>>POLICIES
>
>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.
>
>The man's hypocracy is astounding!

First of all, Mitch Kapor hasn't worked for Lotus in several years.
Second, he has testified before Congress about how companies should
not use lawsuits to keep their positions in the marketplace.  I have a
200-line eloquent statement from him on the subject.  Believe me, he
doesn't like Lotus' actions any more than you do.

major@pta.oz.au (Major) (07/12/90)

I, major@pta.oz.au (Major) wrote:

| If Mitch [Kapor] is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
| the electronic age' perhaps he could start by pressing on his
| company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
| a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.

I am informed that Kapor sold Lotus, thanks to the folks that
e-mailed me about this.

I will issue a 'cancel' for the original message.

I wish the foundation well, we will all be poorer if its goals
are not met.

--
Major
major@pta.oz.au

dsp@polari.UUCP (Don Smith) (07/13/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au>, major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
> geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
> >[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
> >NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
> >POLICIES
>
> If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
> the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
> company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
> a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.
>
> The man's hypocracy is astounding!
>
> Major
> major@pta.oz.au
  I assume that you're refering to the lawsuits brought by Lotus in
 response to the recent ruling that the copyright on the command
 structure of 1-2-3 has been infringed upon.C

  I disagree with the Major about any hypocracy (sic). When dealing
 with patents, trademarks and copyrights the one word that I sort of
 disagree with is the "intellectual" in "intellectual property". If
 you should invent something or create a piece of art it certainly is
 the product of you intellect but many other things that you've done are
 only expressed intellectually.

  There are property laws concerning real estate and personal property. Laws
 which keep for instance a family from creating a productive farm through
 the labour of generations only to have that farm declared public property.
  I'm no computer programmer but I'd hate to spend years of my time working
 on a project and have it declared to be in the public domain or perceived
 as being in that domain so that other's will create derivitive works from
 my years of effort.

  I believe that the thoery concerning patents is that a basic contract
 exists between you and the Government. In exchange for making your invention
 public in the form of the patent itself you are granted remedies in court
 should someone else use your invention and for instance degrade it's
 inherent itegrity by changing a few things. I believe that the exchange of
 information concerning the state of the art in all fields is in the requesting
 and reading of the issued patent itself.
  I know that for myself it seems quite slow to write the Patent & Trademark
 office (PTO) for a copy of a patent that has just been granted. This really
 hit home since I've been on the net but there does exist a commercial service
 which will find the most recent patent you're interested in and fax a copy to
 you.

  Free speech is one thing and admire the support of Lotus and Apple in regard
 to the recend Operation Sun Devil. Having someone steal or use your property,
 your car, your real property, your house, your personal property is something
 that I disagree with in the same way that I would hate for someone to steal
 the product of my mind, soul, knowledge and "intellect".

  Perhaps the problem is that programmer's don't view themselves as the
 artists that they are.

                              Don

 dsp@polari.UUCP
 uw-beaver!sumax!polari!dsp

archer@elysium.sgi.com (Archer Sully) (07/13/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:

>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:

>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>>POLICIES

>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.

>The man's hypocracy is astounding!

Mitch Kapor left Lotus several years ago to pursue new interrests.

Archer Sully 	      |  Ask not what you can do for you country,
(archer@esd.sgi.com)  |  But what your country's been doing to you.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (07/13/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au>, major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
> geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
> >[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
> >NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
> >POLICIES
>
> If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
> the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
> company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
> a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.
>
> The man's hypocracy is astounding!
>
> Major
> major@pta.oz.au

Interesting you should mention that.  He made mention of that very thing
at the press conference I attended in Washington.  I don't have the
exact quote but, he basically said that he found it interesting that some
people in the industry think that certain litigation is good until it gets
turned against them or someone they "like".  It seems that when someone whom
we don't like (like Hackers or some company we don't like) is being sued
it is ok, and nobody stops to think of what effect this is going to have
on law in general.  His example being that in general people in the industry
felt that Paperback Software getting sued by Lotus was good, and didn't bother
to help Paperback out.  Now that Borland is getting sued they feel that this
is bad, but now Lotus has 200 pages of court opinion supporting them, which
makes their case much stronger.  His idea, it seems, is to help out those
cases where there is a "wrong" being commited that has far ranging implications.
Hence the help to the so called Hackers.  He made special mention that EFF
is not a "Hacker Defense Fund" but rather putting their money up to help
out those cases where obvious wrong is being done, such as the SS abuse of
the constitutional rights of Steve Jackson in their search of Steve Jackson
Games.

For further information read their press releases.
--
InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890

peter@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) (07/13/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>>POLICIES
>
>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.

He doesn't own Lotus anymore as far as I know.  He has a new company
in Mass. somewhere...

>Major
>major@pta.oz.au

PQ?

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (07/13/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.

"his" company?

Don't confuse Jim Manzi with Mitch Kapor.

Mitch is the one with the technical background!  :-)

(For those that do not know, Mitch Kapor is now CEO of a startup
 called ON Technology and apparently has little to do with the
 day to day operations of Lotus beyond some stock ownership.)

Tom Rombouts
tomr@ashtate.A-T.com
Voice: (213) 538-7108

Disclaimer:  The above opinion is mine and mine alone.

mnemonic@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Mike Godwin) (07/13/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:

>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.
>
>The man's hypocracy is astounding!

Kapor, who left the management of Lotus Development Corp. some years ago,
is currently the president of On Technology. He has publicly opposed
the outcome of the Lotus/Paperback Software lawsuit, and opposes Lotus's
decision to sue Borland as well.

It takes minimal research to uncover this information, Major. When you
choose to flame someone, take pains to get your facts right.

I was flown to Washington D.C. this week by Computer Professionals for
Social Responsibility to attend the press conference announcing the
Electronic Frontier Foundation, as well as other meetings relating to
the current government crackdown on so-called "hackers." Kapor remarked
at several of these meetings that he regarded the Lotus/Paperback lawsuit
as setting a bad precedent.

--Mike

Mike Godwin, UT Law School  |"... and first I put my arms around him yes
Just another bar-exam nerd  | and drew him down to me so he could feel my
mnemonic@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu | breasts all perfume yes and his heart was
(512) 346-4190              | going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (07/13/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>>POLICIES
>
>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.
>
>The man's hypocracy is astounding!

So's your ignorance.  Mitch Kapor is not an active part of Lotus, and has sold
all of his stock in that company.  It's not his company anymore, the suits are
running it these days and have been for some time (which may be why 1-2-3 2.2
and 3.0 have been met with yawns).  He's also given money to defend people in
cases involving freedom of e-mail.

Check your facts before you flame ...

--
jamesd@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}!techbook!jamesd
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

fozzy@bhpese.oz.au (Andrew Steele) (07/13/90)

major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:

>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:

>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>>POLICIES

>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.

>The man's hypocracy is astounding!

Whilst I couldn't agree more with what Mitch is trying to achieve, I think
that this is also a valid comment.

	 WHEN ARE SOFTWARE COMPANIES GOING TO STOP WITH THIS STUPID
	 LOOK AND FEEL RUBBISH? !!!!!!!

Aside:
I still can't see a flaw in the argument of the car analogy. That is, if
this applied to cars then no-one would have the pedals in the same place
etc.  However, dispite the fact that all cars have pedals in the same place
there are still plenty of people willing to buy all the different types of
cars available.  Put simply, let the market place rather than the court
room decide which is the better product.

I feel better now. :-)

fozzy

--
Andrew STEELE                   | "When Science finally makes it to the top
BHP Information Technology,     | of the hill of learning it will find

clubmac@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Club Mac, Australia's Largest Mac Users Group) (07/14/90)

In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>
>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>>POLICIES
>
>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.
>
>The man's hypocracy is astounding!

What a sweeping statement! Don't blame Kapor for Lotus' sharp legal counsel.
Until someone comes up for a case to destroy petty cases of alleged 'look and
feel' piracy, lawyers will get rich from the workload.

The biggest problem I see is that information as a resource and commodity will
be controlled by a cartel of information services worldwide. When this
control is established, then anyone who keeps independent records of information
will be labelled a pirate.

Governments haven't caught up with the industrial revolution, how can you expect
them to keep up with the information revolution?

Today, the play is being made for the minds of the children of the information
revolution. Are there any underground movements for the truly free exchange
of information? Certainly USENET and ACSnet don't offer such freedom.

Jason Haines

terryl@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (07/14/90)

In article <12293@asylum.SF.CA.US> sharon@asylum.UUCP (Sharon Fisher) writes:
+In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
+>
+
+First of all, Mitch Kapor hasn't worked for Lotus in several years.
+Second, he has testified before Congress about how companies should
+not use lawsuits to keep their positions in the marketplace.  I have a
+200-line eloquent statement from him on the subject.  Believe me, he
+doesn't like Lotus' actions any more than you do.

     Then the question that goes begging is this: did he always believe this,
or is this just a recent "face-change"? If he always did believe this, then did
he try to change the way Lotus used lawsuits to "keep its position in the mar-
ketplace", and is this possibly why he is no longer associated with Lotus???

     No smileys here; these are legitimate questions, and since I have absolute-
ly no desire to use a Pee-Cee, I have no idea what was/is happening in the mar-
ketplace.....

jbickers@templar.actrix.co.nz (John Bickers) (07/14/90)

Quoted from - major@pta.oz.au (Major):
> I wish the foundation well, we will all be poorer if its goals
> are not met.

    There was an interesting article quoting Kapor on the subject of a
    "place" called "Cyberspace", in a special issue of comp.dcom.telecom.

    It seems to me that if what he terms cyberspace is without
    organization, and needs to be "civilised", this foundation is simply a
    method of filling a power vacuum.

    Which is not necessarily a good thing. Certainly isn't democratic.

--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.         jbickers@templar.actrix.co.nz ***
***           "Man, Machine -> Super Human Being" - Kraftwerk.          ***

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (07/14/90)

In article <7796@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> terryl@sail.LABS.TEK.COM writes:
>In article <12293@asylum.SF.CA.US> sharon@asylum.UUCP (Sharon Fisher) writes:
>+In article <1421@pta.oz.au> major@pta.oz.au (Major) writes:
>+>geoff@fernwood.mpk.ca.us (Geoff Goodfellow) writes:
>+>
>+>>[Mitch Kapor asked me to post the following]
>+>>NEW FOUNDATION ESTABLISHED TO ENCOURAGE COMPUTER-BASED COMMUNICATIONS
>+>>POLICIES
>+>
>+>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>+>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>+>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>+>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.
>+>
>+>The man's hypocracy is astounding!
>+
>+First of all, Mitch Kapor hasn't worked for Lotus in several years.
>+Second, he has testified before Congress about how companies should
>+not use lawsuits to keep their positions in the marketplace.  I have a
>+200-line eloquent statement from him on the subject.  Believe me, he
>+doesn't like Lotus' actions any more than you do.
>
>     Then the question that goes begging is this: did he always believe this,
>or is this just a recent "face-change"? If he always did believe this, then did
>he try to change the way Lotus used lawsuits to "keep its position in the mar-
>ketplace", and is this possibly why he is no longer associated with Lotus???

I believe he left Lotus before they started sueing people.  He's been
out of there for a couple of years.

karsh@trifolium.esd.sgi.com (Bruce Karsh) (07/15/90)

>If Mitch is so concerned to protect freedom of 'communication in
>the electronic age' poerhaps he could start by pressing on his
>company (Lotus) to stop sueing enveryone who thinks that 'P' is
>a good command for 'Print you spreadsheet'.

Is Mitch Kapor still at Lotus?

Why is it that some programmers think it's a good idea to plagiarize other's
work.  The Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet is old stuff and it's time to do new
things.  If Lotus has a copyright on its look and feel, then instead of
copying it, why not make something that's truely better.

It's tiring to see the same old programs over and over.  Print authors are
able to write new books despite copyright.  Why can't programmers?

Is cap-P really the best way to print a spreadsheet?  Is the argument that
they copied just cap-P, or is it that they copied practically the entire
user interface?  Why defend copying when there's so many new software
products which could be written, but aren't?

			Bruce Karsh
			karsh@sgi.com

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (07/15/90)

In article <64160@sgi.sgi.com> karsh@trifolium.sgi.com (Bruce Karsh) writes:
>...  The Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet is old stuff and it's time to do new
>things.
>
>Is cap-P really the best way to print a spreadsheet?  Is the argument that
>they copied just cap-P, or is it that they copied practically the entire
>user interface? ...

The real issue is that 1-2-3 is not just a spreadsheet, it is also a
programming language.  Spreadsheets can and invariably do include macros
that work by stuffing keystrokes, and a large fraction of those stuffed
keystrokes select things from menus.  If you change the menu picks or the
order of the menus, nobody's macros will work.

As far as I can tell, the VP-Planner judge didn't appreciate the dual nature
of software, as artwork and as machine.  It's true, the original choice of
the macro keywords in 1-2-3 was entirely arbitrary, but the existence of
millions of saved spreadsheets now makes those keywords the spec for a
machine that runs those spreadsheets.  It is well-settled in the law that
reverse-engineering machinery is entirely legal, and the appropriate
protection for the workings of a machine is a patent.

The visual appearance of the menus Borland's Quattro (I haven't looked at
VP-Planner) is quite different from 1-2-3 menus.  Only the letters that you
need to make macros work are the same.  Compare that to Borland's Paradox,
which has a menu with completely different picks from 1-2-3 but which looks
on the screen just like 1-2-3's.  The ads for Paradox even claimed that
Paradox was easy for 1-2-3 users to learn because the menus looked the same.
It seems to me that if Lotus is really interested in protecting their menus'
look and feel as opposed to their function, they would challenge Paradox.

By the way, I don't begrudge Lotus' attempt to protect their rights any way
they want to, but I am dismayed that the courts seem so sympathetic to their
claims.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

dab@Oswego.EDU (Dave Bozak) (08/15/90)

This message is empty.

dab@Oswego.EDU (Dave Bozak) (08/15/90)

In Forester & Morrison's book, "Computer Ethics: Cautionary Tales and
Ethical Dilemmas in Computing", there is the following:

"In turn, Lotus itself was sued for $100 million by the Software Arts
Procduts Corporation (SAPC), developers of the original VisiCalc program,
who claimed that Lotus had copied many of the command and keystrokes as
well as the screen displays of VisiCalc in 1-2-3.  SAPC claimed that Lotus
founder Mitch Kapor 'misappropriated' copyrighted and confidential aspects
of the VisiCalc program while he was an employee of the exclusive
marketing agent for VisiCalc.  SAPC further alleged that later, as a
product tester for an advanced version of VisiCalc, Kapor 'had access to
copyrighted and confidential aspects' of the program.  He 'deliberately
sought to make the 1-2-3 program look and feel like VisiCalc'."

The authors reference "The Australian", 21 April 1987 and "Business
Week", 31 August 1987 and 22 May 1989.

Does anyone know the status of this lawsuit?  Is it still alive?
Have they settled?  Has it been thrown out?

Given the Lotus win over Paperback Software, the result of this suit
would be very interesting.

         /\           David Alan Bozak, Computer Science Department
        /  \          SUNY College at Oswego, Oswego, NY  13126 (315) 341-2347
  _____/____\_____    Internet: dab@rocky.oswego.edu
 /    /      \    \          or dab%rocky.oswego.edu@nisc.nyser.net
/____/        \____\  UUCP: {cornell!devvax,rutgers!sunybcs}!oswego!rocky!dab