[comp.misc] Sinister Hackers 8-)

geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) (08/07/90)

Well I have read all the previous threads on the social and
gastronomic preferences of the hacker community, and now I'd like to
know if my observations are globally applicable.

In the groups of hackers I have been associated with there seems to
be a much larger than average number of left handers (I think the
norm is around 10%) often groups of hackers have >50% left handers.
One group I am associated with has >70%

Is this trend common in other places? Does anyone have any theories
as to why?

I would expect hackers to be 'left brain' predominant (Analytical &
logical thinkers), yet my understanding of left handedness does not
support this. Could it be that hackers tend to be creative thinkers
rather than analytical types?

Your comments etc, most welcome.
Geoff McCaughan        Email: geoff@actrix.co.nz  Phone: +64 3 539545 or 852101
Amiga/Hardware/Unix/Quantum Mechanics Hacker      Phax : +64 3 539567
"Anarchy: Think of it as evolution in action."            ^ NEW ZEALAND!

tok@stiatl.UUCP (Terry Kane) (08/15/90)

geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) writes:
>norm is around 10%) often groups of hackers have >50% left handers.
>One group I am associated with has >70%
>
>I would expect hackers to be 'left brain' predominant (Analytical &
>logical thinkers), yet my understanding of left handedness does not
>support this. Could it be that hackers tend to be creative thinkers
>rather than analytical types?

I'd say that you've answered your own question.  Hackers _are_ (imho)
primarily people with strong creative ability with above average
analytical talents... a hacker tends to have a sublime combination of
left and right brain thought processes.
--
The above opinions are the opinions of (unless otherwise noted)
Terry Kane                                                   gatech!stiatl!tok

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (08/18/90)

geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) writes:

>I would expect hackers to be 'left brain' predominant (Analytical &
>logical thinkers), yet my understanding of left handedness does not
>support this. Could it be that hackers tend to be creative thinkers
>rather than analytical types?

Actually, the left side of your body is controlled by the right side of
the brain, and the right side is controlled by the left. Thus, I would
expect right-handed people to be more "analytical" as they are using
the predominent (left) side of the brain....

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan #  mpd@anomaly.sbs.com  # ...!uunet!rayssd!anomaly!mpd --
-- Author, SCO Ported Software Compendium, and Maintainer of Online Archives --