[comp.misc] WANTED: database for multiple platforms

akcs.erk@tronsbox.xei.com (Erk) (08/22/90)

Does anyone have any ideas about an existing database that is supported on
multiple platforms?

Ideally, I would like it to AT LEAST support PC-DOS and AT&T Unix.
If it were shareware, that would be a plus, as the project that I would be
working on would be share/free ware.

I am open to all and any suggestions or comments.

! Eric Glenn - akcs.erk@tronsbox.xei.com !
! Be alert!  The world needs more lerts. !

ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/22/90)

In article <26d1ba9c-46comp.misc@tronsbox.xei.com> akcs.erk@tronsbox.xei.com (Erk) writes:
>Does anyone have any ideas about an existing database that is supported on
-------------------------------------------------|
At the risk of being pedantic, I would suggest that what you probably
want is a database manager rather than a database (a collection of
information)....  Maybe because it's 0100 here, by my first thought for
a database "supported on UNIX and PC-DOS" conjures up images of two
sets of the SF phonebook, one on top of a PC, one on top of a VAX.

>Ideally, I would like it to AT LEAST support PC-DOS and AT&T Unix.
>If it were shareware, that would be a plus, as the project that I would be
>working on would be share/free ware.

My Bibliofile runs under various flavors of **DOS and **IX.  It is a
group of programmes to manage files made up of free format cards
(variable field size, variable number of fields).  Add some data and
you will have a data base.  It is primarily for text although the
format programme does support double precision floating point.

Currently it is free although I should charge for the **DOS version
since I had to write so much extra code to get around the criminally
stupid "features" of **DOS.  If you want full functionality under
**DOS, you will need the MKS Toolkit since Bibliofile calls vi for
screen editing (this can be modified, but I do not have time).

Earl H. Kinmonth

History Department          Centre for Japanese Studies
Univ. of California         Univ. of Sheffield
Davis, California 95616     Sheffield, England S10 2TN

ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu