[comp.misc] the Trackman botch

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (08/21/90)

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> ...I'm tired of bozo programs which expect
> you to have a right hand on a mouse and a left hand on the keyboard...

And now is about right for a brief-but-intense flame against Logitech's
"Trackman".  Somebody finally figured out how to make a pointing device
that really works.  It doesn't need a clean desk to be able to wander
around; it just sits there.  Unlike other trackball devices, they figured
out that there are uses where you have to be able to hold one or more but-
tons down while you move the pointer, which is at least clumsy with most
other devices and a two-handed or impossible operation with others.  It's
a great idea, but...

THE DAMNED THING IS F* RIGHT-HANDED--ABSOLUTELY, COMPLETELY, AND UNALTER-
ABLY!!  There is NO useful way to set it up for a left-handed person.  I
can't imagine how anyone smart enough to design a device which is so
natural for the right hand could blow it so completely for left-handers!
It would have taken at most a modest design effort to do a "refrigerator
door" trick--e.g., make some parts movable so you could unscrew them, swap,
and put them back to move the buttons to the other side--but no.  You'd
think a company whose products rely so much on "ergonomics" wouldn't have
screwed up like this.

Anyone have any inside info on how they blew this so badly?  Doesn't
Logitech have anyone left-handed in the company?  Now, it's not a fraud
like the Fiskars "left-handed scissors" which are really just left-handed
handles on right-handed scissors (a lose-lose combination), but it's enough
of a botch that I'd like to know how it happened.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Are you making this up as you go along?

steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug21.001217.28123@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>> ...I'm tired of bozo programs which expect
>> you to have a right hand on a mouse and a left hand on the keyboard...
>
>And now is about right for a brief-but-intense flame against Logitech's
>"Trackman".  Somebody finally figured out how to make a pointing device
>that really works.  It doesn't need a clean desk to be able to wander
>around; it just sits there.  Unlike other trackball devices, they figured
>out that there are uses where you have to be able to hold one or more but-
>tons down while you move the pointer, which is at least clumsy with most
>other devices and a two-handed or impossible operation with others.  It's
>a great idea, but...

[ justified flame removed ]

The other problem I have with the TrackMan is that I don't use my THUMB on
any trackball!  My index fingers (either hand) are much more agile than my
thumb, and don't tire nearly as quickly!

On the other hand...  (pun somewhat intended)
  The new FasTrac (I think) by MicroSpeed is *very* well laid out for doing
drags, using index fingers, and using either hand!  The layout looks something
like this:

            llllll dddddddd rrrrrr          d,^ = drag/lock button
            lllll  d^^^^^^d  rrrrr            l = left button
            llll    bbbbbb    rrrr            r = right button
            lll   bbbbbbbbbb   rrr            b = trackball
            lll   bbbbbbbbbb   rrr
            llll    bbbbbb    rrrr      If you press the drag/lock button, then
            lllllll        rrrrrrr      one of the left or right buttons, that
            lllllllllllrrrrrrrrrrr      button is effectively held down until
                                        any button is clicked.  After that,
pushing the drag/lock button is the same as holding down whichever button you
last activated it with.

It works *very* well!  (They also have an Amiga version, which I am using!)

No, I don't work for them, just a satisfied customer.

--
Steve Watt
...!claris!wattres!steve		wattres!steve@claris.com also works

ergo@netcom.UUCP (Isaac Rabinovitch) (08/28/90)

In <596@wattres.UUCP> steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) writes:

>  The new FasTrac (I think) by MicroSpeed is *very* well laid out for doing
>drags, using index fingers, and using either hand!  The layout looks something
>like this:

>            llllll dddddddd rrrrrr          d,^ = drag/lock button
>            lllll  d^^^^^^d  rrrrr            l = left button
>            llll    bbbbbb    rrrr            r = right button
>            lll   bbbbbbbbbb   rrr            b = trackball
>            lll   bbbbbbbbbb   rrr
>            llll    bbbbbb    rrrr      If you press the drag/lock button, then
>            lllllll        rrrrrrr      one of the left or right buttons, that
>            lllllllllllrrrrrrrrrrr      button is effectively held down until
>                                        any button is clicked.  After that,
>pushing the drag/lock button is the same as holding down whichever button you
>last activated it with.

The problem with *that* approach is that you only get two buttons.
But I suppose that's enought for most people.  Microspeed also makes
the FastTRAP (the model Steve describes is called the PC-Trac) which
has three buttons, and also a "z-axis" wheel, handy for CAD stuff.
But FastTRAP has a old-fashioned boxlike case, unlike the PC-Trac's
curved fit-in-you-palm design.

>It works *very* well!  (They also have an Amiga version, which I am using!)

>No, I don't work for them, just a satisfied customer.

>--
>Steve Watt
>...!claris!wattres!steve		wattres!steve@claris.com also works
>Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education.
--

ergo@netcom.uucp			Isaac Rabinovitch
atina!pyramid!apple!netcom!ergo		Silicon Valley, CA
uunet!mimsy!ames!claris!netcom!ergo

Disclaimer:  I am what I am, and that's all what I am!

steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) (08/28/90)

In article <12690@netcom.UUCP> ergo@netcom.uucp writes:
>In <596@wattres.UUCP> I scribbled:
>
>>  The new FasTrac (I think) by MicroSpeed is *very* well laid out for doing
			(I lied, it's a PC-Trac)
>>drags, using index fingers, and using either hand!  The layout looks something
>>like this:

[picture deleted]

>The problem with *that* approach is that you only get two buttons.
>But I suppose that's enought for most people.  Microspeed also makes

[...the FastTRAP... [slurp!]]

>But FastTRAP has a old-fashioned boxlike case, unlike the PC-Trac's
>curved fit-in-you-palm design.

Actually, I think that if you run the MicroSpeed supplied drivers for the PC-
Trac, you get all three buttons...  Since I only really use the Amiga one, I
only need two...

Also, I did not find the FastTRAP very easy to do drags with (almost
impossible!)...  But I do like the Z-axis wheel.  That's one of the
better ideas...