[comp.misc] Left Handed programmers

adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin) (08/16/90)

>geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) writes:
>norm is around 10%) often groups of hackers have >50% left handers.
>One group I am associated with has >70%

Now there's a thing ... I wonder how common this phenomenon is?

In my last job, in a development team of 4, 3 were left handed.
We always joked about how left-handers were superior ... I wonder what the
distribution is across the industry? Perhaps it could become part of the
recruitment process!

Adam
--
A. D. Curtin				Tel  : +44 438 753430
British Aerospace (Dynamics) Ltd.	Fax  : +44 438 753377

Doug Sewell <DOUG@ysub.ysu.edu> (08/16/90)

I've noticed that peculiar perversity, as well - quite a few DP
people I know (more than the average societal average) are left-
handed.

Just don't misread this the 'backwards way' and assume that left-
handed people are doomed to a career in DP/MIS ;)

(It happened in soc.singles... there, it was lh vs gay, and started a
brief shouting match when someone misread it 'backwards' and says
"Wait!  I'm left-handed and resent you saying...")

Doug (a lefty)

jdarcy@encore.com (Mostly Harmless) (08/16/90)

adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin) writes:
-In my last job, in a development team of 4, 3 were left handed.
-We always joked about how left-handers were superior ... I wonder what the
-distribution is across the industry? Perhaps it could become part of the
-recruitment process!

Actually, there's a simple explanation.  You see, hackers like to use EMACS,
and many important keystokes in EMACS (ESC, ^X, etc.) are left-hand-intensive.

For the humor-impaired:  :-) :-) :-)
--

Jeff d'Arcy, Generic Software Engineer - jdarcy@encore.com
      Nothing was ever achieved by accepting reality

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (08/17/90)

In article <jdarcy.650814205@zelig> jdarcy@encore.com (Mostly Harmless) writes:
>adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin) writes:
>-In my last job, in a development team of 4, 3 were left handed. [...]
>-I wonder what the distribution is across the industry?

>Actually, there's a simple explanation.  You see, hackers like to use EMACS,
>and many important keystokes in EMACS (ESC, ^X, etc.) are left-hand-intensive.

>For the humor-impaired:  :-) :-) :-)

Well, I don't think you are far from the truth (assuming there is truth).
The QWERTY keyboard favors lefties since it contains the most commonly used
letters as well as the bulk of the control keys. In fact, the original
carriage return (a lever on the carriage) was operated by the left hand
as well.

It could be that left-handed people are naturally attracted to the keyboard.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply
(I'm right handed)

cloader@kean.ucs.mun.ca (08/17/90)

In article <jdarcy.650814205@zelig>, jdarcy@encore.com (Mostly Harmless) writes:
> adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin) writes:
> -In my last job, in a development team of 4, 3 were left handed.
> -We always joked about how left-handers were superior ... I wonder what the
> -distribution is across the industry? Perhaps it could become part of the
> -recruitment process!
>
> Actually, there's a simple explanation.  You see, hackers like to use EMACS,
> and many important keystokes in EMACS (ESC, ^X, etc.) are left-hand-intensive.
>
> For the humor-impaired:  :-) :-) :-)
> --
>
> Jeff d'Arcy, Generic Software Engineer - jdarcy@encore.com
>       Nothing was ever achieved by accepting reality

The escape key might be on the correct side BUT the key pad
certainly isn't!

Does such a thing as a left handed keyboard exist?

How about left handed 3-key mice?

Charles

stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter) (08/17/90)

From article <1990Aug16.080332.1572@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk>, by adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin):
>>geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) writes:
>>norm is around 10%) often groups of hackers have >50% left handers.
>>One group I am associated with has >70%
>
> Now there's a thing ... I wonder how common this phenomenon is?
>
> In my last job, in a development team of 4, 3 were left handed.
> We always joked about how left-handers were superior ... I wonder what the
> distribution is across the industry? Perhaps it could become part of the
> recruitment process!

Now there's  a good one.

I remember when I was a student, 5 of the 6 of us in our house were left
handed and we used to go to lectures and sit taking notes together -
life's easier that way.

For the record, in our household I'm lh, my wife is, and so isour
daughter(6).  No info on the cat or the hedgehog :-), and we're still
wating to see if our 9month old is.  His new nanny is....lh

Stephen Carter, Systems Manager, The Administration,
The University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9RH, UK
Tel: +44 273 678203  Fax: +44 273 678335     JANET: stevedc@uk.ac.sussex.syma
EARN/BITNET  : stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk      UUCP: stevedc@syma.uucp
ARPA/INTERNET: stevedc%syma.sussex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

shurr@cbnews.att.com (Larry A. Shurr) (08/17/90)

In article <1990Aug16.080332.1572@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk> adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin) writes:
}}geoff@actrix.co.nz (Geoff McCaughan) writes:
}}norm is around 10%) often groups of hackers have >50% left handers.
}}One group I am associated with has >70%

}In my last job, in a development team of 4, 3 were left handed.
}We always joked about how left-handers were superior ... I wonder what the
}distribution is across the industry? Perhaps it could become part of the
}recruitment process!

I hope not since my "other left hand" :-) is the dominant one.

Larry
--
Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
The end of the world has been delayed due to a shortage of trumpet players.

ash@pawl.rpi.edu (Arthur Hyun) (08/18/90)

   Actually, my high school physics teacher said that he knew a man
   who owned a programmer/consultant place.  Apparently, the owner
   of the place would ONLY hire left handed people, making exception
   only for quite exceptional people.

   Believe it, or not!

   cheers,
   arthur
--
            ash@pawl.rpi.edu                    76 College Avenue, Apartment 1
  sammael@clotho.acm.rpi.edu    Arthur Hyun     Troy, New York  12180

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (08/18/90)

In article <jdarcy.650814205@zelig> jdarcy@encore.com (Mostly Harmless) writes:
>adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin) writes:
>-In my last job, in a development team of 4, 3 were left handed.
>-We always joked about how left-handers were superior
>Actually, there's a simple explanation.  You see, hackers like to use EMACS,
>and many important keystokes in EMACS (ESC, ^X, etc.) are left-hand-intensive.

If this is true, then inferior programmers write CAD software, because
they all must be right-handed.  I'm tired of bozo programs which expect
you to have a right hand on a mouse and a left hand on the keyboard...

Reminds me of a story many years back...  A VLSI test equipment company
showed us the whizzy prototype of their new multi-million dollar tester.
One of the features a nifty UNIX workstation as the system controller -
complete with rodent and everything.  The workstation was setup on a cute
little roll-around cart.

Forget the multi-megabit test pattern depth and sub-nanosecond timing
accuracy.  I took one look at the thing and said, "you need a left-hand
mousepad option on the cart."

They all just dropped their jaws, scratched their heads, and said,
"oh yeah..."

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean

turner@webb.psych.ufl.edu (Carl Turner) (08/19/90)

In article <7968@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) writes:
>The QWERTY keyboard favors lefties since it contains the most commonly used
>letters as well as the bulk of the control keys. In fact, the original
>carriage return (a lever on the carriage) was operated by the left hand
>as well.
>
>It could be that left-handed people are naturally attracted to the keyboard.
>
>Tom Almy

As I understand it, the QWERTY keyboard was created in such a way as to
make it somewhat difficult to use.  Typewriters (some of you youngsters
may not believe this) used to be purely mechanical devices; the early models
jammed easily if they were struck too quickly.  An optimal keyboard would
put the most-used letters in the language (ETOANISHRDLU) within easy
reach of the first two fingers of each hand.

Question: what would be the problems involved in offering both an optimal
computer keyboard (for the people who haven't yet learned to type) and
the old QWERTY?

Back to the subject of left-handers....I'm pretty sure (which means I
could probably track it down in the lit if someone paid me to do it) that
artists and poets are disproportionately left-handed.  This would fit
with the idea that was voiced in a previous post that hackers are as much
artists as they are techs.

As far as EMACS being left-hand intensive, I never really noticed that.
It just seems to me to be not right-hand intensive.  I wonder if RMS and
the others who have worked on it are left-handed.

By the way: nice pun on the words "left-handed" and "sinister."  If you
don't get the joke, look up the etymology of the word "sinister."

Carl Turner
left-handed sinister poet/artist/non-hacker
turner@webb.psych.ufl.edu

ekalenda@cup.portal.com (Edward John Kalenda) (08/19/90)

EMACS is left hand intensive because the control key is on the left side
and it's easier to type control characters with one hand than two. You
just press control with your left pinky finger and then there are twelve
easily reached keys to bind commands to. If there had been a control key on
the right side, there would be left and right control key commands in EMACS
with the middle group of keys unused since they would be the only ones
difficult to reach.

Remember, EMACS was designed to run on keyboards with NO extra keys other
than cursor arrows. Keyboards with function keys were quite modern and
innovative at the time. Hence the use of control keys for common commands.

Ed
ekalenda@cup.portal.com

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (08/20/90)

In the referenced message, chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) wrote:
}I'm tired of bozo programs which expect
}you to have a right hand on a mouse and a left hand on the keyboard...

And bozo keyboard designers too, like the ones at Xerox who put the
function keys on the left side of the keyboard.

Actually, there's a bright side.  Since I was forced by this misdesign
to learn to mouse right-handed, I can now write Post-It notes and mouse
at the same time.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
     Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.

stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter) (08/20/90)

Does anyone know if Craig Shergold is left handed?

adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk (Adam Curtin) (08/20/90)

In article <1488@chinacat.Unicom.COM> chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>... inferior programmers write CAD software, because
>they all must be right-handed.  I'm tired of bozo programs which expect
>you to have a right hand on a mouse and a left hand on the keyboard...

I'm left handed, but I use the mouse on the right. I find it harder to work
the keyboard than the mouse, so I need the superior coordination of my good
hand.

Sometimes it's just a question of giving in ... you can't get cars or
motorcycles with different controls for left handers, you just take what there
is and learn to like it.

		EQUAL RIGHTS (!) FOR LEFTIES
Adam

--
A. D. Curtin				Tel  : +44 438 753430
British Aerospace (Dynamics) Ltd.	Fax  : +44 438 753377
PB 230, PO Box 19, Six Hills Way,	Email: adam@ste.dyn.bae.co.uk
Stevenage, SG1 2DA, UK.  		UUCP : ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!bae-st!adam
	Arse-covering  :   <This disclaimer conforms to RFC 1188>
	Fun-to-be-alive:	"My other car is an FJ1200"

scott@kong.gatech.edu (Scott Coulter) (08/20/90)

[continuing discussion about Lefties and keyboards/mice/etc.]

OK, time for a brief survey; please respond (through e-mail) to the following:

	handed-ness : LEFT  /  RIGHT
	mouse hand:   LEFT  /  RIGHT

I've always been curious about how many people use their left hand for a mouse,
and how many of those are lefties.  E-mail replies to me, and I'll throw
together a quick-and-dirty summary to post.
Thanks,
Scott D. Coulter				uucp: ...!gatech!ics!scott
Software Engineering Research Center		InterNet: scott@ics.gatech.edu
Georgia Institute of Technology
"Everybody's talking to computers, they're all dancing to a drum machine..."

howell@bert.llnl.gov (Louis Howell) (08/20/90)

First, the opinions:  I tend to react to all the left brain/right
brain BS the same way I react to people who sharpen their razor
blades with a pyramid.

I write with my left hand, but I don't think there's a deep reason
for it, just an accident when I was learning to write that grew
into a habit.  I use scissors with my right hand because virtually
all scissors are built that way.  I use a mouse with my right hand
because the default placing on a public terminal is to the right.
A pencil, however, has no preferred orientation.

Here's my theory about left-handed hackers.  These people are
drawn from a pool which tended to be early achievers.  Most of
them were encouraged to draw, and may have actually learned to
write, before they entered school.  Their "handedness" is
therefore essentially random, 50-50.  The unwashed masses,
however, mostly learned to write in school and, lacking any clear
preference, were encouraged to use their right hand, the default
choice.

That's all.  A simple explanation that doesn't require any New
Age psychobabble about which side of the brain you pick your nose
with.  It could well be wrong, but without strong evidence I'll
prefer the explanation which doesn't postulate some mysterious
neurological tendency, every time.

Louis Howell

#include <std.disclaimer>

ps@fps.com (Patricia Shanahan) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug20.084113@bert.llnl.gov> howell@bert.llnl.gov (Louis Howell) writes:
>First, the opinions:  I tend to react to all the left brain/right
>brain BS the same way I react to people who sharpen their razor
>blades with a pyramid.
>
>I write with my left hand, but I don't think there's a deep reason
>for it, just an accident when I was learning to write that grew
>into a habit.  I use scissors with my right hand because virtually
>all scissors are built that way.  I use a mouse with my right hand
>because the default placing on a public terminal is to the right.
>A pencil, however, has no preferred orientation.

>Louis Howell
>
>#include <std.disclaimer>

I think there is more to the left/right handedness business. I am the same
general way as you. I tend to do things either with the hand that I first
learned to use for that activity, or with the more convenient hand if there
is one. I write right-handed, draw equally badly with both hands, started
using a mouse with it on the left because there was more room on my desk
that way, but switched to right handed because it was easier to work out
which button is which that way. (I actually first learned to write left
handed, using a pencil. When I was switched from pencil to dip pen and ink
I decided to switch to right hand writing.)

However, I know a lot of people who will go out of their way, even when it
is obviously inconvenient, to use a particular hand. They always learn new
activities with the same hand in the leading role. They will do an awkward
backhand throw rather than throw something with the wrong hand. It is
especially obvious when someone is strongly left-handed, because they
have trouble using commonly occuring right handed equipment. They look
for and buy special scissors, rather than just using ordinary ones right
handed.

This seems to be a much deeper dependence on using a particular hand than
the tendency I have to stick with the hand that I used when I learned to
do something. Although it is difficult to understand without having
experienced it, I think there is a genuine phenomenon of physiological
handedness, that affects most, but not all, of the population.
--
	Patricia Shanahan
	ps@fps.com

zwicky@pongfs.itstd.sri.com (Elizabeth Zwicky) (08/21/90)

In article <1990Aug20.084113@bert.llnl.gov> howell@bert.llnl.gov (Louis Howell) writes:
>First, the opinions:  I tend to react to all the left brain/right
>brain BS the same way I react to people who sharpen their razor
>blades with a pyramid.

You're throwing out the baby with the bath water. Handedness is a
bona-fide neurological phenomenon, which real neurologists believe in.
It comes in three flavours, not two; left-hemisphere dominant,
right-hemisphere dominant, and non-dominant. (Left-hemisphere dominant
people are right handed.) Approximately 10% of the population is
non-right-handed; of those, a much smaller percentage are actually
right-hemisphere dominant, and an even smaller percentage simply have
the two hemispheres swapped in function. Some non-dominant people (for
instance, me) appear to be right-handed for most purposes.

Obviously, the left brain/right brain stuff cannot possibly be true
for people who are left-handed because of a functional swap. For
people who are non-right handed for other reasons, there are
known effects of that, but they are mostly uninteresting to people
who are not otherwise neurologically impaired. Non-dominance is
associated with dyslexia, for instance, and is known to increase
chances of full recovery from head trauma and strokes. Some research
suggests that non-dominance may make small but theoretically
interesting changes in language processing; however, these are in no
way noticeable in day-to-day life.

Most left brain/right brain stuff is massive overgeneralization and
wild theorization, but there is a kernel of truth there; handedness
exists, and many brain functions are lateralized. High order functions
like "creativity" are not likely to be among them. Functions that are
known to be lateralized tend to be at a particular somewhat odd level
of precision; for instance, the ability to recognize tunes, the
ability to recognize faces, vocabulary, and grammar all have specific
brain sites. They also interact in ways that are not particularly well
understood.

Disclaimer: I am not a neurologist, nor do I play one on television. I
have a casual interest in non-dominance, and a few college courses in
neurology.

Elizabeth Zwicky

mdb@ESD.3Com.COM (Mark D. Baushke) (08/21/90)

On 20 Aug 90 19:33:02 GMT, ps@fps.com (Patricia Shanahan) said:

ps> I think there is more to the left/right handedness business. I am the same
ps> general way as you. I tend to do things either with the hand that I first
ps> learned to use for that activity, or with the more convenient hand if there
ps> is one. I write right-handed, draw equally badly with both hands, started
ps> using a mouse with it on the left because there was more room on my desk
ps> that way, but switched to right handed because it was easier to work out
ps> which button is which that way. (I actually first learned to write left
ps> handed, using a pencil. When I was switched from pencil to dip pen and ink
ps> I decided to switch to right hand writing.)

ps> [...]
ps> --
ps> 	Patricia Shanahan
ps> 	ps@fps.com
ps>         uucp : ucsd!celerity!ps
ps> 	phone: (619) 271-9940

I find that my experience matches that of Patricia. I do not have a
strong preference for either hand, but the one that I learned with is
slightly more proficient than the other hand.

I usually consider myself to be ambidextrous rather than right or left
handed, but that appears to be an even smaller group than being a left
handed person.

I can print with either left or right hand, but never bothered to
practise cursive writing with the left and am not able to use the left
for cursive writing.

My mouse pad? Well, it is on the right because it is heavily biased
for a right hand user and inconvient to use left handed (Control-Left
mouse button is tough to do with the mouse on the left).

--
Mark D. Baushke
mdb@ESD.3Com.COM

mpw@planet.bt.co.uk (Mike Wood) (08/21/90)

Try buying a left-handed guitar :-)

I started from scratch and it felt unnatural to play right-handed.

Mike. a Leftie

mct@praxis.co.uk (Martyn Thomas) (08/21/90)

Back in 1974, I was designing telephone switches for ITT (128 Z80
microprocessors, state-of-the-art!).

ITT held phase reviews: a group of high-powered reviewers flew in from New
York and we presented the project for three days - at the end of the review
they either cancelled the project or let it proceed. It was nerve-racking,
and I was due to talk fifth on day one.

We had a flip-chart set up in a corner of the room, which each presenter
used. The first four presentations went fine. Then I stood up, talked for
five minutes, went over to use the flip-chart, and walked straight into the
wall!

That's how I found out that *all* my colleagues in the design team were
left-handed.

--
Martyn Thomas, Praxis plc, 20 Manvers Street, Bath BA1 1PX UK.
Tel:	+44-225-444700.   Email:   mct@praxis.co.uk

tsnider@enint.Wichita.NCR.COM (Tim Snider) (08/21/90)

In article <10964@celit.fps.com> ps@fps.com (Patricia Shanahan) writes:

>However, I know a lot of people who will go out of their way, even when it
>is obviously inconvenient, to use a particular hand. They always learn new
>activities with the same hand in the leading role. They will do an awkward
>backhand throw rather than throw something with the wrong hand. It is
>especially obvious when someone is strongly left-handed, because they
>have trouble using commonly occuring right handed equipment. They look
>for and buy special scissors, rather than just using ordinary ones right
>handed.

I am left handed also and I'll agree with Pat.  A majority of the tools I
use put me in the HIGHLY unsafe catagory because of the way I'm forced to
use them.  E.G. the circular saw is a good example, I want to cut on the left
side of the wood.  I am forced to hold the saw up it will be somewhat square
since the motor is on the left.  Otherwise the cut would be at some undesirable
angle.  I also have looked at chain saws and can't buy one since the guards and
general design is exclusively for righthanders.  For me to use it my leg would
be place on the unprotected side of the chain.  I am a 'heavy' lefthander and
things would definitely be a lot easier for me if I were not.  But there is a
small contridiction, my mouse is on the right hand side.  Keyboard configura-
tions don't bother me unless the keys are tiny/placed strangely.
my .02.
Tim Snider				316-636-8736 or 8048
NCR Peripherial Products Div.
3718 N Rock Road.
Wichita Ks.  67226
tim.snider@wichita.NCR.COM

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug20.084113@bert.llnl.gov> howell@bert.llnl.gov (Louis Howell) writes:
>I write with my left hand, but I don't think there's a deep reason
>for it, just an accident when I was learning to write that grew
>into a habit.

Handedness is physiological, not psychological.  In left-handed people, the
right side of the brain is "dominant"; the reverse is true for right-handed
people.

(This is diverging from comp.  Anybody really interested in it should move
the converstaion to, say, sci.med.)

"Handedness" is a bit hard to define.  Very few people use one hand
exclusively.  I, for example, generally classify myself as "left-handed,"
but am, for the most part, ambidextrous.  I can write with either hand,
although the left-hand is much more legible, I can use a mouse with either
hand (although I have more practice with the right), I can shift with either
hand (manual transmission, that is), etc.  Some things I do one way only,
such as, oh, playing baseball or bowling (right-hand).

Most "left-handed" people are like that, but that's where the psychology
creeps in.  They prefer to use their left hand for lots of things, but,
because of society, they tend to get taught to use their right-hand (I was
taught, for example, to throw a baseball with my right hand; when I tried it
left-handed and did miserably, I was told that was to be expected, go back
to throwing right-handed [even though that didn't change things]).

>Here's my theory about left-handed hackers.  These people are
>drawn from a pool which tended to be early achievers.  Most of
>them were encouraged to draw, and may have actually learned to
>write, before they entered school.  Their "handedness" is
>therefore essentially random, 50-50.  The unwashed masses,
>however, mostly learned to write in school and, lacking any clear
>preference, were encouraged to use their right hand, the default
>choice.

Not meaning to be overly snide, but there are dozens of studies which
"prove" you wrong.  Handedness is *not* random, at least not in the sense
you mean.  The odds are more like 90-10, instead of 50-50.  There seems to
be some indication that it's genetic, but, if it is, it isn't related to a
single gene, but, rather, to a whole slew of them.

>It could well be wrong, but without strong evidence I'll
>prefer the explanation which doesn't postulate some mysterious
>neurological tendency, every time.

Go down to a library or, better, yet, a university, and try to find some
articles on the subject.  Some of the studies are really quite
fascinating...

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "let's face it, finding yourself dead is one
seanf@sco.COM    |   of life's more difficult moments."

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz.au (Allan Duncan) (08/22/90)

Well, I find that the keyboard is not hand sensitive like writing is.  I
happily use my right (non-writing) hand for the mouse which gives me the
option of using a pen at the same time!
As a left hander in a right handed world I find that in other than writing
there are advantages (my left-handedness is not pathological) since I
find that using most tools where gross motor skills only are needed I am
equally at home with either hand (if my right hand gets tired, I can
change the hammer to the left).  Makes using the left side in billiards
easy too!

Big bitch on keyboards:
	Who was the sod who fixed the control key at the left side only?
In the early days of tty's there was one each side, so when the Wordstar
people decided to lay out a sensible mapping for cursor movement the
left hand made the moves whilst the _right_ little finger held down the
control key.  Loss of that right hand key has slowed down touch typists
for a decade and cost multi-millions in lost time.
Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

DN5@psuvm.psu.edu (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug20.084113@bert.llnl.gov>, howell@bert.llnl.gov (Louis Howell)
says:

>First, the opinions:  I tend to react to all the left brain/right
>brain BS the same way I react to people who sharpen their razor
>blades with a pyramid.

>Louis Howell
>
>#include <std.disclaimer>

Good you you!  Most of the left-brain/right-brain tests were done
with people who had the connection between the left and right halves
of their brain cut.  Normally their is a connection between the
two halves, which allows them to communicate fully.

This connection is one of the reasons for the power of the human
mind and though.

Just my not-so-humble-opinion (and that of my Ed Psych instructors,
of course).

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
D. Jay Newman                !  All syllogisms have three parts,
dn5@psuvm.psu.edu            !  therefore this is not a syllogism.
CBEL--Teaching and Learning Technologies Group

zwicky@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com (Elizabeth Zwicky) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug21.154720.4513@sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
>Handedness is physiological, not psychological.  In left-handed people, the
>right side of the brain is "dominant"; the reverse is true for right-handed
>people.

It's truer to say that for right-handed people, the left side of the
brain is dominant, and for everybody else, it isn't. Most
"left-handed" people are actually people with no clearly dominant
hemisphere. It does depend on how you define "right-handed"; I
am usually considered right-handed, because I write with that hand,
although I am actually non-handed, so to speak. This is not uncommon,
because so many teachers insist that children write right-handed if
they can be forced to do so. You can be purely left-handed for some
tasks without actually being right-dominant, too, which confuses the
issue further for people who are trying to be exact. Generally, it
doesn't bother psychologists any, because they divide the world simply
into right-handed and not-right-handed, where "right-handed" really
means "left-hemisphere dominant". They have tests, although one once
told me that there was no point in scoring them, really; everyone who
has to pantomime things to answer the questions (which mostly ask
which hand or which foot you do things with) is not-right-handed, and
the scores are only a matter of degree.

	Elizabeth Zwicky

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (08/23/90)

In article <90234.141257DN5@psuvm.psu.edu> DN5@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>Good you you!  Most of the left-brain/right-brain tests were done
>with people who had the connection between the left and right halves
>of their brain cut.  Normally their is a connection between the
>two halves, which allows them to communicate fully.

Most of the *early* tests.  Now, some tests are done that way, others are
done while monitoring brain usage (CAT-scan and other, better methods), and
the use of some drugs which can, temporarily, disable one side of the brain
(or the communication between them; I forget which).

>This connection is one of the reasons for the power of the human
>mind and though.

Not really.  It allows for the *versatility*.

Dolphins' brains are even more seperated.  Usually, a dolphin will "sleep"
by letting one half dream at a time.  Physical rest is, as most people know,
the least part of sleep; it's mostly a time for the brain to rest and
"unwind."

Dolphins are rather intelligent; however, most of their intelligence is
dedicated to echolocation (an analogy:  a large portion of the human brain
is dedicated to language processing [or, more accurately, symbol
processing]; symbol plus vision would, I believe, account to the same
percentage in human beings as echolocation does in dolphins).

N.B.:  the above information is about 2 years out of date.  Sorry...

Back to humans:  the two sides do communicate, of course, and some functions
are spread throughout both sides of the brain, and need to work as a unit.
Other functions, such as language processing, or mathematical ability, seems
to (mostly) be concentrated in a single side of the brain, and which side is
dominant will determine how much it works.

For a computer analogy, think of the brain as a bunch of processors, all
operating independently, and in parallel.  Think of the BBN Butterfly 8-).
Consider the Language Center as a specialized function of some of the
processors; and side-dominance as a priority scheme for allowing one side to
grab more resources.  If the side the LC is in is dominant, than that side
will be able to grab more resources, and, as a result, the LC will be able
to do more than if that side *weren't* dominant.

You know, I shouldn't try doing physiology lectures at 5:30 AM 8-).

--

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (08/24/90)

In article <32590@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com> zwicky@pterodactyl.itstd.sri.com.UUCP (Elizabeth Zwicky) writes:
>In article <1990Aug21.154720.4513@sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:
>>Handedness is physiological, not psychological.  In left-handed people, the
>>right side of the brain is "dominant"; the reverse is true for right-handed
>>people.
>
>It's truer to say that for right-handed people, the left side of the
>brain is dominant, and for everybody else, it isn't. Most
>"left-handed" people are actually people with no clearly dominant
>hemisphere. It does depend on how you define "right-handed"; I

In the "Mind-Brain Bulletin", there was a report of some research which
looked at the question of sinistral dominance.  It was found that there
is no significant statistical correlation between people who are left
handed, and who have the normal left/right brain associations reversed.
HOWEVER, it was found that a large percentage of left-handed children of
left-handed mothers do indeed have this reversal.  So being left handed
is not enough -- your mother also has to be left handed, and then you
have a better chance of being in your right mind.  :-)

--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

iann@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Ian Nicholls) (08/24/90)

I suppose I'm a mixed up person, because I use my right hand for writing and
other fine work, and my left arm for golf, archery, and ten-pin bowls.  I can
use either hands for things such as squash, tennis, chopsticks and table-
tennis, although I'm better with my left hand (it's a good show-off to swap
hands between every shot, especially when your opponent tries the same.)

Whenever I realise I've been using one hand for a task more often than the
other hand, or my hand gets tired doing something, I make a concious effort
to swap hands for a while.

Some studies I have read (ages ago!) suggest that most left-handers are somewhat
ambidextrous, while few right-handers are, and that there is a higher than
normal mental breakdown and suicide rate among left-handers.  This last
point I've seen from a few sources, and they all make the guess that
left-handers have more trouble coping with a right-hand world.

Left-handers might even run in families.  My father and I are left-handed,
but the other five in the family aren't.  I also know a family with two
girls, two boys, and two parents.  One of each pair are left-handed, so
they're a fairly balanced family.

--
"He who laughs, lasts."
Ian Nicholls         Phone : +61 3 829 6088   Fax: +61 3 829 6886

diamond@tkou02.enet.dec.com (diamond@tkovoa) (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug21.154720.4513@sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:

>I can shift with either hand (manual transmission, that is), etc.

Good for you.  Right-handed people in half the world have to shift with
their left hands.  Even in some countries where society discriminates
against the use of the left hand.

--
Norman Diamond, Nihon DEC       diamond@tkou02.enet.dec.com
Steering like a sports car:  I use opinions; the company uses the rack.

wsm@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Wayne Myles) (08/31/90)

cloader@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:

> How about left-handed mice?
>Charles

Yep, no worries.  DECwindows allows you to remap the buttons right-to-left!

:-)

Wayne Myles.

ge@wn3.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) (09/05/90)

cloader@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>Does such a thing as a left handed keyboard exist?

You can switch the keypad around on a Macintosh portable (or exchange it for
a trackball)

>How about left handed 3-key mice?

In many GUIs you can switch the function of the keys. Sunview does it, I believe.

>Charles

Ge'

--
Ge' Weijers                                    Internet/UUCP: ge@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science,   (uunet.uu.net!cs.kun.nl!ge)

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (09/05/90)

In article <2135@wn1.sci.kun.nl> ge@wn3.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) writes:
>cloader@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>
>>How about left handed 3-key mice?
>
>In many GUIs you can switch the function of the keys. Sunview does it, I believe.

As does MSWindows 3.0.  (Not sure about earlier versions)  OS2 1.2's PM
has the same ability, I believe.
* Internet: keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu *                           *         *
* Usenet:   ...!pyramid!rex!keating   * Seen hanging in window of * John W. *
* Bitnet:   CS6HECU@TCSMUSA (caps!!)  * Iraqi tank:               * Keating *
* CI$:      73737,733                 *     <BABY ON BOARD!>      *   III   *
* Flames:   /dev/null                 *                           *         *