[comp.misc] Optimal keyboards

turner@webb.psych.ufl.edu (Carl Turner) (08/25/90)

In article <24152@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> I wrote:
>Question: what would be the problems involved in offering both an optimal
>computer keyboard (for the people who haven't yet learned to type) and
>the old QWERTY?

Thanks for all the responses.  I had not planned to summarize the replies,
but there seems to be enough interest in the subject that a short summary
is appropriate.  I can summarize briefly by PROs and CONs.

PROs:  *  An optimal keyboard exists--the Dvorak keyboard, named after
          its designer, August Dvorak.

       *  It's currently implemented in hardware on Apple //c and
          available as a keymap on other machines: amiga, maybe IBM's.

CONs:  *  No one would use it.

       *  Switching from QWERTY to an optimal keyboard would  be
          difficult especially for people who use many kinds of
          equipment: they would have to wait until ALL the machines and
          keyboards are reconfigured.

I take no responsibility for the information contained herein.

Carl Turner
turner@webb.psych.ufl.edu

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/25/90)

Carl Turner (turner@webb.psych.ufl.edu) writes:
+--
| PROs:  *  An optimal keyboard exists--the Dvorak keyboard, named after
|           its designer, August Dvorak.
|        *  It's currently implemented in hardware on Apple //c and
|           available as a keymap on other machines: amiga, maybe IBM's.
+--
I will take some credit for the availability of the Dvorak keyboard
on the //c.  I've been using this keyboard for some time, and I
tend to rant about it with little provocation.  One day I was ranting
about it to my friend Tom Root, who just happened to be working on
the operating system for the //c.

+--
| CONs:  *  No one would use it.
|        *  Switching from QWERTY to an optimal keyboard would  be
|           difficult especially for people who use many kinds of
|           equipment: they would have to wait until ALL the machines and
|           keyboards are reconfigured.
+--
I don't know how many people use the Dvorak arrangement, but *I*
use it, and I'll continue to use it because it makes typing much
faster and less error-prone.  I also disagree with the second
point, as I constantly use QWERTY keyboards as well, and I still
retain a reasonable amount of touch-typing speed on them as well.

I have three Heath H19's with remapped keyboard encoder ROMs,
and also an aftermarket Dvorak keyboard for my PC-XT.  If I
ever get a workstation, a little tinkering with the /dev/kbd
driver will take care of remapping that too.  I am a contractor
and have to use customer equipment a lot.  I do about 35-40 wpm
on the QWERTY keyboard and 70-80 wpm on Dvorak, touch typing
in both systems.  I don't believe that learning an improved
system will decrease one's speed in the inferior system.

The QWERTY keyboard layout is WORSE THAN RANDOM.  Scholes, the
inventor of that keyboard, was a lousy mechanical engineer, so
he ANTI-ENGINEERED his keyboard to compensate for problems in
his typewriter.  I would be happy to correspond with anyone
who wants to find out more about the incredible story of
these two keyboards.

Here is the Dvorak keyboard layout I have been using.  This
layout replaces a 10 x 3 rectangular area of the normal
keyboard bounded by the Q, P, Z, and / (slash) keys of the
QWERTY layout:

     left hand    |    right hand

?   <   >   P   Y | F   G   C   R   L
/   ,   .   p   y | f   g   c   r   l

 A   O   E   U   I | D   H   T   N   S
 a   o   e   u   i | d   h   t   n   s   <--home row

  :   Q   J   K   X | B   M   W   V   Z
  ;   q   j   k   x | b   m   w   v   z
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

paul@tucson.sie.arizona.edu (Paul Sanchez) (08/25/90)

If you want to get a Dvorak layout for IBM PC's and compatibles, I
believe Fansi-Console (a commercial ansi.sys replacement) has a Dvorak
option.  This also means that you can use Dvorak when you're away from
your own machine by taking along a bootable floppy, since the mapping
is done in software.

Std Disclaimer -- I have no connection with the makers of
Fansi-Console.

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (08/29/90)

Where can I get a chord keyboard?  This is the one-handed keyboard; you
hold down 2 or more keys at once for different character combinations.

Historical note: Douglas Englebart invented the mouse for use with the
chord keyboard to make the perfect workstation: mouse with one hand,
type with the other.  This obviously superior system was ignored by
certain micro-computer architects who have a habit of horribly mangling
good ideas :-(

Lance

"We have plain muffins, whole wheat muffins, oat bran muffins,
corn muffins, and blue corn muffins."

"Let a hundred flours bloom."

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/30/90)

Lance Norskog (lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com) writes:
+--
| Where can I get a chord keyboard?  This is the one-handed
| keyboard; you hold down 2 or more keys at once for different
| character combinations.... This obviously superior system
| was ignored by certain micro-computer architects who have
| a habit of horribly mangling good ideas :-(
+--

Obviously superior?  For people who have only one hand,
perhaps (or for people who are doing something else with the
other hand).  But I really don't think it would be possible
to type very fast on a chord keyboard.  For applications
where the typist is mostly thinking and not typing, it may
be a win, but for volume entry, I doubt that it is superior.

A two-handed keyboard allows one to ``play for position,''
that is, when one finger is stroking, other fingers can be
moving into position.  Some Dvorak keyboard typists can do
consistently over 120 words per minute; I usually do over
70, but I seldom type more than an hour or so a day.  Does
anyone have any performance figures for chord keyboards?
--

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug29.204351.27673@nmt.edu> john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
   moving into position.  Some Dvorak keyboard typists can do
   consistently over 120 words per minute; I usually do over
   70, but I seldom type more than an hour or so a day.  Does
   anyone have any performance figures for chord keyboards?

Try asking your local court reporter. They use chord keyboards. They
also keep up with the spoken word. I think that's a bit faster than
120 wpm.

	<mike
--
When all our dreams lay deformed and dead		Mike Meyer
We'll be two radioactive dancers			mwm@relay.pa.dec.com

In article <MWM.90Aug29170650@raven.pa.dec.com>, mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Real Amigas have keyboard garages) Meyer) writes:
|> Try asking your local court reporter. They use chord keyboards. They
|> also keep up with the spoken word. I think that's a bit faster than
|> 120 wpm.

  This comparison is relatively meaningless, because what court reporters type
isn't English, it's a particular form of typed shorthand.  Each reporter
develops a slightly different form as he gains experience; in fact, part of
the court reporter's job is transcribing what he has recorded, since often,
only the reporter is able to read it (Some reporters, however, hire permanent
secretaries and teach them to read their notation.).

  Furthermore, the method of using a court stenography machine is very
different from the method of typing on a chord keyboard.  On a stenography
machine, several letters are hit at the same time; usually, the stenographer
types an entire word with one downward motion of the hands.  Chord keyboards,
on the other hand, generate one character for every motion of the hand.

  In other words, I am fairly certain that court reporters do NOT use chord
keyboards of the type we are discussing.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710

Richard.Milward@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (08/30/90)

Does anyone have any information on court-stenographers and
their keyboards?  I believe they use some sort of "chord"
method for typing words, and I know it's a small number of
keys...

--Richard Milward / network tech
  U. of North Carolina / Chappa Heel
  "Service without slogans."

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (08/30/90)

An earlier posting of mine expressed skepticism that a
one-handed chord keyboard could make good speed.  Mike Meyer
(mwm@raven.pa.dec.com) responded:
+--
| Try asking your local court reporter. They use chord
| keyboards. They also keep up with the spoken word. I
| think that's a bit faster than 120 wpm.
+--

True, but that's a TWO-handed chord keyboard, and it also
does not produce English.  It produces a rather cryptic
code that must be re-transcribed later into English.

I have read that some Dvorak typists can take dictation
at full speed.
--

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (08/31/90)

john@nmt.edu writes:
> lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com writes:
> | Where can I get a chord keyboard?
> | This obviously superior system
>
> Obviously superior?  For people who have only one hand,
> perhaps (or for people who are doing something else with the
> other hand).
  Yes.  That's the point!  I'm talking about mice.

> Some Dvorak keyboard typists can do
> consistently over 120 words per minute; I usually do over
> 70,

"Obviously superior" if you're using a mouse.  Douglas Englebart's
prototype workstation had a chord keyboard in one hand and the mouse
in the other.  If you can type 70 words a minute while working your
word processor with a mouse, like MacWrite, you have a future in magic.

The mouse was this wooden monster with X & Y wheels.
You could tip the mouse up on either wheel and draw straight lines!

ath@prosys.se (Anders Thulin) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.163436.17881@nmt.edu> john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:

>True, but that's a TWO-handed chord keyboard, and it also
>does not produce English.  It produces a rather cryptic
>code that must be re-transcribed later into English.

There is also a keyboard called Velotype, invented by a Belgian whose
name I have forgotten (Berkelmans?)

I believe it is uses special keys for certain syllables. Of course,
different languages require different key sets.

This type of keyboard is often used by typists 'sublining' dialogues
on television.

--
Anders Thulin       ath@prosys.se   {uunet,mcsun}!sunic!prosys!ath
Telesoft Europe AB, Teknikringen 2B, S-583 30 Linkoping, Sweden

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (09/02/90)

   It doesn't matter how slow a chord keyboard is, because it's not
supposed to _replace_ the full keyboard; it's supposed to _supplement_ the
mouse. You still enter text the usual way; you use the chord-keyboard
(which its inventors at SRI called a "keyset") to make corrections and give
commands while your other hand is "mousing around" (or otherwise occupied).

   It's interesting to see how often this request pops up these days; it's
about time something appeared on the market. The people at SRI reported
that it only takes about a week to become proficient (the microwriter
people claim 15 hours), and I've heard that IBM has studied the idea as
well.

   Actually, it could be done entirely in software-- with your right hand
on the mouse, lay your left hand on the 'home row' (ASDF), with your thumb
on the spacebar. That's not too bad a position for typing "chords"; you
just need a device driver to decode it properly (I'm assuming your keyboard
sends separate make/break signals). Maybe someone like Northgate could
build it into their keyboards.

==================
zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean)
{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!zaphod

In article <1523@madnix.UUCP>, zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) writes:
|>    It doesn't matter how slow a chord keyboard is, because it's not
|> supposed to _replace_ the full keyboard; it's supposed to _supplement_ the
|> mouse. You still enter text the usual way; you use the chord-keyboard
|> (which its inventors at SRI called a "keyset") to make corrections and give
|> commands while your other hand is "mousing around" (or otherwise occupied).

  This may be true of some chord keyboards, but certainly not all of them.
The only chord keyboards I've heard of were meant to produce the whole range
of characters available on the system, and were meant to replace the
traditional qwerty (or dvorak) keyboard, since the claim is that with a good
chord keyboard, it is possible for a user to type as fast as, or faster than,
he/she can on a qwerty.

--

In article <1990Aug25.015334.16702@nmt.edu> john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
> /   ,   .   p   y | f   g   c   r   l
>  a   o   e   u   i | d   h   t   n   s   <--home row
>   ;   q   j   k   x | b   m   w   v   z

Given that UNIX wasn't around when this was designed, it's understandable,
but I'd prefer to be hitting the "/" key with a bit stronger finger than
my left pinkie!
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

sanders@amber.rtp.dg.com (Lee Sanders) (09/06/90)

Has anyone seen or used a Maltron keyboard?  It was mentioned in the February
1990 issue of "Computer".  This is an excerpt from the article "Design of
a Bitmapped Multilingual Workstation" by Richard Walters UCD:

	"[..] The most promising recent design is the Maltron keyboard
	developed by Stephen Hobday and Lillian Malt (see [omitted]
	Figure 1)(3).  This design overcomes most of the Qwerty keyboard's
	design flaws.  It takes advantage of the dexterity of both thumbs
	by giving them control of a number of important keys, including
	the letter "e," space, period, and enter.  The keys are separated
	into two pods, one for each hand, and placed in a concave
	configuration that eliminates the need for users to move their
	hands to access all keys.  These last two features reduce two
	known causes of severe strain resulting from Qwerty keyboard use.
	The keys are also repositioned to increase alternate hand typing
	and to make greater use of the most dextrous fingers (giving a slight
	bias to the right hand).  This keyboard can increase the speed of
	any user, even professional typists.(3)"

	(3) S.W.Hobday, "Keyboards Designed to Fit Hands and Reduce Postural
	Stress," in _Trends in Ergonomics/Human Factors_, F. Aghazadeh, ed.,
	Vol. V, 1988, pp.321-330.

The missing picture looks really neat but the left half is mostly illegible
so I can't include the layout here (and I don't believe that I could do it
justice anyway :-).

Lee Sanders                     Usenet: ...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!sanders
Data General at RTP             CSnet:  sanders@dg-rtp.dg.com

adamsf@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Frank Adams) (09/12/90)

Is alternate hand typing (having consecutive characters entered by alternate
hands) really something to be encouraged?  I have no doubt that it is faster,
but I believe that it is also more error prone.  I know that a large fraction
of my typing errors are interchanged characters typed on alternate hands.
I wonder whether this is an appropriate tradeoff, especially for computer
input where accuracy is at a premium.

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (09/13/90)

In article <N5B%SS$@rpi.edu> adamsf@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Frank Adams) writes:
>Is alternate hand typing (having consecutive characters entered by alternate
>hands) really something to be encouraged?  I have no doubt that it is faster,
>but I believe that it is also more error prone.  I know that a large fraction
>of my typing errors are interchanged characters typed on alternate hands.
>I wonder whether this is an appropriate tradeoff, especially for computer
>input where accuracy is at a premium.

I was recently asked the same question about alternate finger typing. :-)

For most computer typing, accuracy is not at such a premium.  Consider:

Numbers (not really relevant to this discussion because keyboard layouts
don't affect which alternate hand use for random numbers):

   credit card numbers have a checksum which detects interchanged characters

Text -- use a spelling checker

If you are willing to pay the premium, type everything twice (by
different typists) and have the results automatically compared.

Ken