[comp.misc] fast cash

zippy@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Patrick Tufts) (09/18/90)

Yes, I _am skeptical.  This is _not_ the place for this garbage.

If you're really interested, you can do the math and find out
just how many people need to be involved _after_ you sign up for
you to get $50,000.

People who post this stuff should be _strongly_ flamed.

People (like Leny) who post this stuff in COMP.MISC should be
strung up by their data lines.
In article <27139@usc.edu> lfreeman@phad.hsc.usc.edu (Leny Freeman) writes:

>Fellow Debtor:                              November 13, 1989
>
>    The following document is going to sound EXACTLY like a
>mail order con.  The fact is that none of us want to get ripped
>by some jerk with nothing else to do but dream these things up.
>BUT - if you will take the 5 minutes it took me to read this,
>you will see that it really can work - it's all based on the
>multiplication factor.  Take this week off from Lotto America
>and put it here.  Your HONESTY and $5.00 WILL get you those
>computer upgrades you've been wanting for Christmas.......
>
>                        BIZMAN DAVE THE MODEM SLAVE
>                        Takoma Park, MD 20912
>                        Can be reached on the best BBS:
>                        DC Follies BBS (202) 232-3379
>                        (Not the Dave mentioned below...)
>

>Dear Friend,

Hook line - we're all in this together.

>     My name is Dave Rhodes.  In September 1988 my car was
>reposessed and the bill collectors were hounding me like you
>wouldn't believe.  I was laid off and my unemployment checks
>had run out.  The only escape I had from the pressure of
>failure was my Apple computer and my modem.  I longed to
>turn my advocation into my vocation.

Yada yada yada.

>     This January 1989 my family and I went on a ten day
>cruise to the tropics.  I bought a Lincoln Town Car for CASH
>in Feburary 1989.  I am currently building a home on the
>West Coast of Florida, with a private pool, boat slip, and a
>beautiful view of the bay from my breakfast room table and
>patio.  I will never have to work again. Today I am rich!  I
>have earned over $400,000.00 (Four Hundred Thousand Dollars)
>to date and will become a millionaire within 4 or 5 months.
>Anyone can do the same.  This money making program works
>perfectly every time, 100% of the time.

Unless you run out of people for your pyramid, that is.

>I have NEVER failed
>to earn $50,000.00 or more whenever I wanted. Best of all
>you never have to leave home except to go to your mailbox or
>post office.
>
>     In October 1988, I received a letter in the mail
>telling me how I could earn $50,000 dollars or more whenever
>I wanted.  I was naturally very skeptical and threw the
>letter on the desk next to my computer. It's funny though,
>when you are desparate, backed into a corner, your mind does
>crazy things. I spent a frustating day looking through the
>want ads for a job with a future.  The pickings were sparse
>at best.  That night I tried to unwind by booting up my
>Apple computer and calling several bulletin boards.  I read
>several of the message posts and than glanced at the letter
>next to the computer.  All at once it came to me, I now had
>the key to my dreams.
>
>      I realized that with the power of the computer I could
>expand and enhance this money making formula into the most
>unbelievable cash flow generator that has ever been created.
>I substituted the computer bulletion boards in place of the
>post office and electronically did by computer what others
>were doing 100% by mail.  Now only a few letters are mailed
>manually.  Most of the hard work is speedily downloaded to
>other bulletin boards throughout the world.  If you believe
>that someday you deserve that lucky break that you have
>waited for all your life, simply follow the easy
>instructions below.  Your dreams will come true.
>
>                          Sincerely yours,
>
>                          Dave Rhodes
>

>                       INSTRUCTIONS
>
>Follow these instructions EXACTLY, and in 20 to 60 days you
>will have received well over $50,000.00 cash, all yours.

Remember, kids, since every participant pays $1, for you to receive
$50,000 means that at least fifty thousand different people are
sending you one dollar each!

Does this seem unlikely?  Well, not if you _start_ a pyramid.
But if you're the 100000th member, you're gonna have
some problems finding recruits.

>This program has remained successful because of the honesty
>and integrety of the participants.  Please continue its
>success by carefully adhering to the instructions.
>
>Welcome to the world of Mail Order!  This little business is
>a little different than most mail order houses.  Your product
>is not solid and tangible, but rather a service.  You are in
>the business of developing Mailing lists.  Many large
>corporations are happy to pay big bucks for quality lists.

And what clearing house wouldn't pay for a list of suckers?
People willing to part with five bucks to a random posting.
People _just_ _like_ _you_.

> [...]
>      to the BBS's message base or to the file section.
>      Name it FASTCASH, and use the file description to call
>      attention to the great potential this has for all of us.
>
>  4)  Within 60 days you will receive over $50,000.00 in
>      CASH.  Keep a copy of this file for yourself so that you can
>      use it again and again whenever you need money. As soon as
>      you mail out these letters you are automatically in the mail
>      order business and people are sending you $1.00 to be placed
>      on your mailing list. This list can than be rented to a list
>      broker that can be found in the Yellow Pages for additional
>      income on a regular basis.  The list will become more
>      valuable as it grows in size.  This is a service.  This is
>      perfectly legal.  If you have any doubts, refer to Title 18,
>      Sec. 1302 & 1341 of the postal lottery laws.
>
>       NOTE: Make sure you retain EVERY Name and Address sent
>             to you, either on computer or hard copy, but do not
>             discard the names and notes they send you.  This is
>             PROOF that you are truely providing a service and
>             should the IRS or some other Government Agency
>             question you, you can provide them with this PROOF!
>
>   Remember as each post is downloaded and the instructions
>   carefully followed, five members will be reimbursed for
>   their participation as a List Developer with one dollar
>   each.  Your name will move up the list geometrically so that
>   when your name reaches the number five position you will be
>   receiving thousands of dollars in cash.
>
>   REMEMBER - THIS PROGRAM FAILS IF YOU ARE NOT HONEST - PLEASE!!
>
>  1. S. Alexander       4371 Varnum Pl. N. E.
>                        Washington, DC.
>                        20017
>
>  2. P. Czajko          161 Westway #203
>                        Greenbelt, MD.
>                        20770
>
>  3. Darryl McGinnis    P.O. Box 34431
>                        Phoenix, AZ
>                        85067
>
>  4. David Larson       2802 E. Shangri-la Rd.
>                        Phoenix, AZ
>                        85028
>
>  5. Brian A. Miller    10270 Ft. Churchill
>                        Reno, NV
>                        89506
>
>  6. Steve Simmons      P.O. Box 91154
>                        Washington, DC.
>                        20090-1154
>
>  7. Clifford Arms      P.O. Box 3215
>                        Arlington, Virginia
>                        22204
>
>  8. David Walton       8302 Garland Avenue #2
>                        Takoma Park, MD
>                        20912
>
>  9. Steve J. Frank     1519 48th ST SW #101
>                        Fargo, ND
>                        58103
>
> 10. Leny Freeman       237 S. Kenilworth Ave.
>                        Glendale CA
>                        91204
>
>The following letter was written by a participating member
>in this program.
>
>To Whom It May Concern:
>
>     About six months ago I received the enclosed post in
>letter form.  I ignored it.  I received about five more of
>the same letter withIn the next two weeks.

From people desparately looking for suckers who weren't
already in the game.

>I ignored them
>also.  Of course, I was tempted to follow through and
>dreamed of making thousands, but I was convinced it was just
>another gimmick and could not possibly work.  I was wrong!
>About three weeks later I saw this same letter posted on a
>local bulletion board in Montreal.  I liked the idea of
>giving it a try with my computer.  I didn't expect much
>because I figured, if other people were as skeptical as I,
>they wouldn't be too quick to part with Five dollars.  But,
>I BUY LOTTERY TICKETS WEEKLY IN MY PROVINCE AND HAVE NOTHING
>TO SHOW FOR IT BUT TICKET STUBS!  This week I decided to
>LOOK AT THIS AS MY WEEKLY LOTTERY PURCHASE. I addressed the
>envelopes and mailed out one dollar in each as directed.
>Two weeks went by and I didn't recieve anything in the mail.
>The fourth week rolled around and I couldn't believe what
>happened!  I can't say I received $50,000, but it was
>definitely well over $35,000!  For the first time in ten
>years, I got out of debt.   It was great.  Of course, it
>didn't take me long to go through my earnings so I am using
>this excellent money opportunity once again.  FOLLOW THE
>INSTRUCTIONS AND GET READY TO ENJOY.
>
>     PLEASE send a copy of this letter along with the
>enclosed letter so together we can convince people who are
>skeptical that it really works!
>
>                             Good Luck,
>
>                             Charles Kust
>                             St Agathe Que.