[comp.misc] Standardized version numbering system

add@sciences.sdsu.edu (James D. Murray) (09/21/90)

	Is there a standardized version numbering system used
for computer software?  It seems there are so many different
formats of version levels (e.g. 3.0, 3.03, 3.0.3, 3.0-1, 3.03f,
B3.03, etc.) that I have no idea which one to use for my own
software.  I suppose most people just use the format that their
their source code librarian uses, but I am not using one.

	References? Ideas?

James D. Murray, Ethnounixologist	"Riker!  Stop that smirking!"
Anaheim, California, U.S.A.                    -- J-L. Picard

Internet: add@sciences.sdsu.edu    (130.191.224.2)
Bitnet:   bardic@calstate.Bitnet   (130.150.102.1)

alanw@ashtate (Alan Weiss) (10/06/90)

In article <1990Sep21.051542.23913@ucselx.sdsu.edu> add@sciences.sdsu.edu (James D. Murray) writes:

>	Is there a standardized version numbering system used
>for computer software?  It seems there are so many different
>formats of version levels (e.g. 3.0, 3.03, 3.0.3, 3.0-1, 3.03f,
>B3.03, etc.) that I have no idea which one to use for my own
>software.  I suppose most people just use the format that their
>their source code librarian uses, but I am not using one.
>
>	References? Ideas?

Well (smirking), here goes (note position of tongue):

A "1.0" version of anything == beta quality product.
A "1.1" version of a product == a first release that actually works
 (often referred to as a 1.1.1, in which case its called an "in-line").
A "2.0" version of a product == major functionality added.

OK. Seriously, a x.0 version is a major new version of a product
with major features/functions added.

A 1.1 (or 1.2 or 1.3 or 4.5) is a major bug-fix version with limited
function added.

A 1.1.1 or 2.1.3 is a minor bug fix version (or patch) with no new
function added.

A 1.0 version is still Beta quality  :-)

|	Alan R. Weiss     |
|	213-538-7584      |
|       alanw@ashton      |
|!uunet!ashtate!alanw     |