[comp.misc] Public Access in UK

gt1020a@prism.gatech.EDU (Ken Yousten) (10/01/90)

A frien of mine who lives in the UK (Wales specifically) has asked me
to look into public access unix stuff over there. Can anyone out there
tell me anything? (by email preferably)

  o   Ken Yousten                    "Oh my god...you're from the 60's! Back!"
o   o arpa: gt1020a@prism.gatech.edu
 o o  uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt1020a

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (10/02/90)

In article <ZMACX07.90Oct2001304@asun2.asunfs.doc.ic.ac.uk> zmacx07@asunfs.doc.ic.ac.uk (Simon E Spero) writes:
>Other sites are the IBM PC user group, who run a rn/mail service
>on an 80386 box with ~8 Hayes modems; mail dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
>who will give you the full spiel (Cue Matthew :-)

Well since you insist.
12 modems actually. rn/mail/mua/download areas. To avoid blatant advertising,
and to get more information, mail me

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan

sweh@tharr.UUCP (Stephen Harris) (10/06/90)

In article <ZMACX07.90Oct2001304@asun2.asunfs.doc.ic.ac.uk> zmacx07@asunfs.doc.ic.ac.uk (Simon E Spero) writes:
>Finally, there is tharr.co.uk. I don't know much about this side, since
>I've never been able to get a clean connection to it, but from the few
>characters I could read appears to be a Unaxcess BBS offering free
>access to the Unix shell, and providing rn/mail .
>The number is : 0234 261804

This is all perfectly true.  When I do get acces to it (it seems to be busy
quite a lot since only 1 modem) there is UA (with only a few conferences)
and if you ask the Sysop (Chris) nicely he will give you a login id for the
shell.  From there there is email and Usenet via uk.co.bt.axion.

I don't know how Chris manages to provide this service free, but I thank him for
it!

--
    			     Stephen Harris
Disclaimer: me have an opinion?     | Email: sweh%uucp.tharr@uk.co.bt.axion

     <-- tharr *free* public access to Usenet in the UK 0234 261804 -->