[comp.misc] Is ACM broke?

sanjiv@hoss.unl.edu (Sanjiv K. Bhatia) (10/08/90)

In article <1990Oct7.205143.27609@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> newman@frith.msu.edu (Tim Newman) writes:

>I just got my ACM membership renewal form and noticed they have
>decided that all us members will be making a donation for a
>TV program they are co-sponsoring.
>
>This strikes me as a desperate measure to raise cash, so I would
>like to find out why the ACM has resorted to it.  The only
>explanation I can think of is that they volunteered to support
>the program without really having the financial resources to
>do so.

You are right about this one.  I crossed the amount of donation and sent in
just the regular fee.  I was actually surprised as I am a student and I did not
think they expected donations from students, because of the small amount of
money we survive on :-(.

>I don't understand why they didn't make a special appeal to
>their members for donations (either in a separate mailing or via a
>second form with a check-off box included in the membership renewal
>materials) instead of this desperate attempt to add a surtax on the
>annual dues.

Should we start a movement to write letters to ACM to disapprove this step?

>Also, should we expect this sort of behavior to become a yearly
>event for the ACM?

Hope not.  I'll cancel my membership if they force me to pay this *donation*.

>Looking forward to comments.
>Tim Newman

Sanjiv
--
Sanjiv K. Bhatia				Department of Computer Science
sanjiv@fergvax.unl.edu				Ferguson Hall 115

zaft@nswses.navy.mil (Gordon C Zaft) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct7.205143.27609@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> newman@frith.msu.edu (Tim Newman) writes:

>I just got my ACM membership renewal form and noticed they have
>decided that all us members will be making a donation for a
>TV program they are co-sponsoring.
>
>This strikes me as a desperate measure to raise cash, so I would
>like to find out why the ACM has resorted to it.  The only
>explanation I can think of is that they volunteered to support
>the program without really having the financial resources to
>do so.
>
>I don't understand why they didn't make a special appeal to
>their members for donations (either in a separate mailing or via a
>second form with a check-off box included in the membership renewal
>materials) instead of this desperate attempt to add a surtax on the
>annual dues.
>
>Also, should we expect this sort of behavior to become a yearly
>event for the ACM?

	I don't think it's a desperate measure.  A separate mailing
would cost too much money.  I think ACM decided the "Computer Chronicles"
(I *think* that's what it is) was a worthwhile thing to get involved
with and that since it was a 'special' sort of event that it should
have 'special' funding mechanisms.  I don't think this will be a yearly
event w/ACM, although I presume you've noticed there's always a 'suggested
donation' tacked on the bottom line, though it is (of course) optional.

Gordon Zaft
Ventura County ACM Chairman.

--
+  Gordon Zaft                        |  zaft@suned1.nswses.navy.mil         +
+  NSWSES, Code 4Y33                  |  suned1!zaft@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov      +

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (10/09/90)

> I just got my ACM membership renewal form and noticed they have
> decided that all us members will be making a donation for a
> TV program they are co-sponsoring.

You haven't been watching.  They've had this on the form for at
least a year now.

> This strikes me as a desperate measure to raise cash, so I would
> like to find out why the ACM has resorted to it.  The only
> explanation I can think of is that they volunteered to support
> the program without really having the financial resources to
> do so.

They sent you something some time back telling you all about the
fact that they were going to sponsor this program and that a
certain percentage was going to come from donations.  In fact,
they *did* make a special appeal for the ACMers to come forward
and support this endeavour.

> Also, should we expect this sort of behavior to become a yearly
> event for the ACM?

They indicated that this was a once-in-a-long-while opportunity
that they felt the ACM should not pass by.

                         - tom

--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu (home)
             : 4398613@mcimail.com (work)

--
The UUCP Mailer

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (10/10/90)

newman@frith.msu.edu (Tim Newman) writes:

> I just got my ACM membership renewal form and noticed they have
> decided that all us members will be making a donation for a
> TV program they are co-sponsoring.

Well, yeah, anyone who doesn't notice and cross it off will be making a
donation.  But you should have been forewarned about this sort of thing by
the "suggested donation" that's been there for several years now--already
added in for you.

> Also, should we expect this sort of behavior to become a yearly
> event for the ACM?

Pure speculation:  They found that the original donation sca^H^H^Htech-
nique worked, so they're going to expand it.

I don't know...I really have a strong negative reaction to this sort of
fund-raising.  If they asked for the donation, I might consider it.  When
they add it in by default and expect me to take an explicit action if I
don't want to contribute, I automatically reject it as underhanded.  But
then I'm a surly sort...I also regard ACM as devious for continually
sending me ads for insurance and credit cards when I've asked for my name
to be restricted to announcements from ACM and related professional
societies.  (I'd like a professional computing society to be circumspect in
avoiding this sort of game.)
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Worst-case analysis must never begin with "No one would ever want..."

nigel@modcomp.UUCP (Nigel Gamble) (10/10/90)

In <5597@suned1.Nswses.Navy.MIL> zaft@nswses.navy.mil (Gordon C Zaft) writes:
>                            I think ACM decided the "Computer Chronicles"
>(I *think* that's what it is) was a worthwhile thing to get involved
>with ...

It's a much more exciting project than that.  It's actually a series of
six hour-long programs entitled `The Information Age', scheduled for
prime time broadcast in the U.S. and throughout the world in 1991.
It is being produced by the WGBH Science Unit, producer of `Nova', and
the BBC.

From the letter that the ACM sent to all members about the project:

	`The Information Age' ... will show viewers ... why ``the computer
	story'' is as much about us as it is about our technology.

	From the first episode: `The Dawn of the Computer Age', - which
	chronicles the role of such visionaries as ACM founder John
	Mauchley, co-inventer of ENIAC, - to the final installment:
	`Inventing the Future', millions of people will learn about the
	scientists, engineers, industrial pioneers and entrepreneurs
	whose work and determination changed forever the way we process
	information and the way we think.

I'm looking forward to seeing this series and, yes, I've already made
my $15 contribution.
--
Nigel Gamble					uunet!modcomp!nigel
MODCOMP, an AEG company				modcomp!nigel@uunet.UU.NET

emery@linus.mitre.org (David Emery) (10/11/90)

I've protested ACM's "voluntary contribution" stuff on the form
directly to a previous ACM president.  ACM is now on line; I'll try to
get an email address of someone to complain to.  I personally think
this is a very poor policy by ACM.
				dave emery