[comp.misc] Gavilan - Alive or Dead?

alanw@ashtate (Alan Weiss) (10/09/90)

Does anyone know if Gavilan Computers (Silicon Valley) is still
alive?  Where can I go for repairs?

(I just bought a really interesting little laptop that does not
(work - for $20.00 at a disposal sale.  The screen displays
(nice little LCD garbage.)

If Gavilan no longers exists, does anyone know a good general
laptop computer fixer-upper-er?

Thanks!

-- Alan R. Weiss --
alanw@ashton
alanw@ashtate.A-T.COM
!uunet!ashton!alanw
213-538-7584

johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) (10/09/90)

<<<
< Does anyone know if Gavilan Computers (Silicon Valley) is still
< alive?  Where can I go for repairs?
----------
One wonders if Gavilan was ever alive. They made a big splash in
the 1983 COMDEX with their portable but it was obsolete before
they could get it into production. They are believed to be
responsible for the invention of the term "Vaporware".

Put it in your attic and your grandkids may find it a useful
collectors item.

John Eaton
!hpvcfs1!johne

fzsitvay@techbook.com (Frank Zsitvay) (10/18/90)

In article <1410002@hp-vcd.HP.COM> johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) writes:
><<<
>< Does anyone know if Gavilan Computers (Silicon Valley) is still
>< alive?  Where can I go for repairs?
>One wonders if Gavilan was ever alive. They made a big splash in
>the 1983 COMDEX with their portable but it was obsolete before
>they could get it into production. They are believed to be
>responsible for the invention of the term "Vaporware".

  Actually, i think Ovation was responsible for the creation of the
term.

--
fzsitvay@techbook.COM - one of these days i'll get it right...

Version 2 of anything is usually the version that works.