[comp.misc] Computers on the shuttle

jjoshua@remus.rutgers.edu (J. Joshua) (11/08/90)

I need a bit of information about the main computers on the space
shuttle.  A small wager rides in the balance.

1.  how many?
2.  what kind?
3.  how old?
4.  more powerful than a PC/XT?

Thanks,
JOn.
--
 ________

ardai@bass.bu.edu (Michael Ardai) (11/09/90)

In article <Nov.8.01.48.28.1990.23791@remus.rutgers.edu> jjoshua@remus.rutgers.edu (J. Joshua) writes:
-
-I need a bit of information about the main computers on the space
-shuttle.  A small wager rides in the balance.
-
I am sure someone over in sci.space.shuttle would have a better answer, but
this is what I remember.  (Someone is sure to correct me if I am wrong :-)

-1.  how many?
-2.  what kind?
-3.  how old?
-4.  more powerful than a PC/XT?

5 computers (4 IBM AP101's and one Raytheon?? one); about 1972 technology,
96K core, tape drive (to page different software for various phases of the
mission.  Definitely a lot less powerful (and larger) than a PC, but which
would *you* stake your life on?  They are planning an upgrade to 256K of
semiconductor RAM in the near future.

Lately, they have been taking up a GRiD 386 laptop for various housekeeping
chores on board...

/mike

--
\|/ Michael L. Ardai     ardai@bu-pub.bu.edu
--- ---------------------------------------------------------------

hthomas@irisa.fr (Henry Thomas) (11/09/90)

Here is form my archives:
From: eugene@AMELIA.NAS.NASA.GOV (Eugene Miya)
Subject: Frequently asked SPACE questions
Date: 10 Dec 89 12:00:19 GMT

[... various interesting things]

2) Where can I learn about space computers: shuttle, programming,
core memories?

%J Communications of the ACM
%V 27
%N 9
%D September 1984
%K Special issue on space [shuttle] computers

Other various AIAA and IEEE publications.

Computers in Spaceflight: The NASA Experience
James E.  Tomayko
1988?

--
-- E-mail: Henry.Thomas@irisa.fr
Henry Thomas - IRISA Campus Universitaire de Beaulieu 35042 RENNES CEDEX FRANCE