[comp.misc] Why do 2.0 meg diskettes only hold 1.44 meg ??

chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) (11/01/90)

The subject says it all...   But is there a way to utilize the full
2 meg, or is this taken up by the DOS formatting ??

Thank You.

Chris Behrens
ChrisB @ {Hubcap||Gemini||Prism||Eureka||Clemson}.Clemson.Edu
Clemson University       /  Senior in Computer Science needs job !!!
Clemson, S.C.            /  Hire ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccplumb@spurge.uwaterloo.ca (Colin Plumb) (11/02/90)

In article <11290@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) writes:
> The subject says it all...   But is there a way to utilize the full
> 2 meg, or is this taken up by the DOS formatting ??

Basically, no.  The actual capacity is 16,000,000 bits (slightly under
the usual definition of a megabyte), and then some is eaten allowing
for variation in the rotation speed of the drive and the bit-clock
rate, and then you need some sort of sector header, and then comes the
big killer..  the gaps around the data blocks to give the read head time
to switch to writing and back.  It looks like:

During a read, you wait for the header sync mark, read the header to see if
it's the desired sector, and if it is, you wait for the data sync mark, then
read the data and check the trailing checksum, and usually return
with the data.

During a write, you do the same thing, except after the header, you check its
checksum for validity, then you switch to writing, write a few 0's, a sync
mark, the data (and checksum, etc), a few more 0's, and stop writing.
The leading 0's are required to make sure your sync mark is sufficiently
delayed that it will be overwritten by the next writer, even if you were
as fast as the spec allowed to start writing and it is as slow as spec allows.
The trailing 0's are just so the last few bits of the block are properly
written.  You also need more gap after the data block so that even if you're
slow to start writing the data, the data clock is a bit slow, and the disk
is spinning a bit fast, you don't overwrite the next header.

It is possible to fit 10 512-byte sectors on a "1.0 MB" floppy, for 800K
effective, due to tighter tolerances these days, and I assume this would
let you get 1600K on a "2.0 MB" floppy.

The Amiga fits 880K (907.5K if you use some extra space) on a "1.0MB"
floppy by writing the entire track at once, requiring only one gap at
the end of the track.  Then I figured out a really sneaky way to get
1.2 MB ("1.2 MB" 5.25" floppies are 1200K; I got 1.2*1024 K) on a
"1.0 MB" floppy.  See "Magnetic Recording" Vol.2 by C. Denis Mee and
Eric D. Daniels for details.
--
	-Colin

me@dude.pcs.com (Michael Elbel) (11/12/90)

ccplumb@spurge.uwaterloo.ca (Colin Plumb) writes:
> In article <11290@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) writes:
> > The subject says it all...   But is there a way to utilize the full
> > 2 meg, or is this taken up by the DOS formatting ??

> It is possible to fit 10 512-byte sectors on a "1.0 MB" floppy, for 800K
> effective, due to tighter tolerances these days, and I assume this would
> let you get 1600K on a "2.0 MB" floppy.

It is possible to fit 11 512-byte sectors on a track reliably if the drive
spins not over 302 rpm (300 is the norm). By using 85 tracks (you have to try
how far your drive can step) I can format disks to hold 935K on my Atari ST.

Michael
--
Michael Elbel 		|  Wollen haetten wir schon moegen
 me@dude.PCS.COM 	|  aber duerfen haben wir uns nicht getraut.

bakke@plains.NoDak.edu (Jeffrey P. Bakke) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov1.194908.12296@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ccplumb@spurge.uwaterloo.ca (Colin Plumb) writes:
> In article <11290@hubcap.clemson.edu> chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) writes:
> > The subject says it all...   But is there a way to utilize the full
> > 2 meg, or is this taken up by the DOS formatting ??
>
> Basically, no.  The actual capacity is 16,000,000 bits (slightly under
> ... Explaination about extra information and gaps, etc...

In addition to all the needed sector markings, gabs and other informatio
that must be included on a disk in order to utilize it, it must also be
realized that the original media is never "perfect" in that any errors on
the media or faults on the disk surface are taken care of by formatting which
simply allows some extra room to account for possible errors.
--
Jeffrey P. Bakke                      |   There are a finite number of
  INTERNET:   bakke@plains.NoDak.edu  |   jokes in the world...