[comp.misc] HELP: moulds on floppy disks

smagt@fwi.uva.nl (Patrick van der Smagt) (11/14/90)

Hi,

My sister who works in the Philippines for the VSO (Voluntary Services
Overseas; the British development work organisation) decided to buy an
AT there with 5 1/4" floppy drives.  However, due to the local climate
all her floppies start to grow moulds!  Is there any cure (prevention)
for this problem which is feasible in her environment?  Of course,
she doesn't have airconditioning, her fridge only works half the time,
and her house doesn't have any windows.  She lives 100 miles or so
from Manila which is a twelve-hour drive.

Thanks for any suggestions.

					Patrick van der Smagt

P.S. she has the same problems with colour slides.

jmoore@cidmac.ecn.purdue.edu (James D Moore) (11/15/90)

In article <1461@carol.fwi.uva.nl> smagt@fwi.uva.nl (Patrick van der Smagt) writes:
>Hi,
>
>My sister who works in the Philippines for the VSO (Voluntary Services
>Overseas; the British development work organisation) decided to buy an
>AT there with 5 1/4" floppy drives.  However, due to the local climate
>all her floppies start to grow moulds!  Is there any cure (prevention)
>for this problem which is feasible in her environment?  Of course,
>she doesn't have airconditioning, her fridge only works half the time,
>and her house doesn't have any windows.  She lives 100 miles or so
>from Manila which is a twelve-hour drive.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>					Patrick van der Smagt
>
>P.S. she has the same problems with colour slides.

Maybe this is not the solution but here goes.... The problem here if
I understand is the amount of humidity that is present (at least that
is what my limited memory of moulds and biology tells me). Why not
have her store her diskettes (and slides) in some small enclosed area
with a light bulb to keep the humidity low. We used to do this for
welding rods when I worked for a machine shop. We simply put a light
bulb in an old refrigerator that did not work so that it would stay on
all of the time. We also built something similar to dry out MACs
that the hard drive stops working because of high humidity in one of
our building. We call it the "MAC incubator". One other suggestion
is to use the Silica Gel pellets (if you can get enough of them) at
a low heat the peletts can be dried in an oven. Hope this helps.

Jim Moore

--
James D. Moore				jmoore@ecn.purdue.edu
Computer Engineer 			Phone:(317) 494-2686