[comp.misc] Doctor!

marx@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL (Michael M. Marx) (11/26/90)

Hi,

About 20 years ago, there were the Alpha-Micro computers, nice computers,
today considered...primitive,
anyhow - with those computers came a bundle of softwares, and one of them
was called "Doctor", this Lisp or Snobol program was a stupid psychiatrist
expert system, a somewhat humoristic program.

Did anyone bother to re-write it for Unix, VMS or for the PC?
does anyone at least got the source?

Thanks,
Michael.
  Michael M. Marx      marx@hujivms                  Voice: +972 2 663667
  P.O.B 4004           marx@hujinix                  Data:  +972 2 634203
  Jerusalem 91040      marx@shum.huji.ac.il          Telex: G 9312132257
  ISRAEL               marx@vms.huji.ac.il
          "...They lost france and made his England bleed..."
            (Closing act of Henry The Fifth by Shakespeare)

ewoods@hemel.bull.co.uk (Eoin Woods) (11/27/90)

marx@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL (Michael M. Marx) writes:

>About 20 years ago, there were the Alpha-Micro computers, nice computers,
>today considered...primitive,
>anyhow - with those computers came a bundle of softwares, and one of them
>was called "Doctor", this Lisp or Snobol program was a stupid psychiatrist
>expert system, a somewhat humoristic program.

>Did anyone bother to re-write it for Unix, VMS or for the PC?
>does anyone at least got the source?

I've seen it on a few UNIX systems - Pyramids among others - I don't know
where the source is.

Eoin.
~    Eoin Woods, Software Development Group, Bull HN Information Systems,   ~
~                Maxted Road, Hemel Hempstead, Herts HP2 7DZ                ~
~                   Tel :   +44 442 232222 x4823                            ~
~                   Fax :   +44 442 232222 x4335                            ~
~                   < Eoin.Woods@hemel.bull.co.uk >                         ~
~          < When do we start news group comp.os.emacs ?  :-) >             ~

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (11/27/90)

The GNU Emacs distribution includes a doctor.el.  It also includes a
yow.el, which caused some poor soul with too much time on his hands to
create psychoanalyze-pinhead.

rcpieter@svin02.info.win.tue.nl (Tiggr) (11/27/90)

marx@VMS.HUJI.AC.IL (Michael M. Marx) writes:

>anyhow - with those computers came a bundle of softwares, and one of them
>was called "Doctor", this Lisp or Snobol program was a stupid psychiatrist
>expert system, a somewhat humoristic program.

Try `\M-x doctor RET' in GNU Emacs.

Tiggr

dmpol412@nmt.edu (Poly God) (11/29/90)

In article <BOB.90Nov26153945@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>The GNU Emacs distribution includes a doctor.el.  It also includes a
>yow.el, which caused some poor soul with too much time on his hands to
>create psychoanalyze-pinhead.

For the benefit of the person who queried the existence of Doctor, let
me add that if you happen to have too much time on your hands as well,
don't listen to the Styx song by that title, but try performing
psychoanalyze-pinhead, save it to a file, then make a copy that is
piped through a translator called jive.  This may only be on my system,
I'm not sure (source available--somewhere), but the final file yields
quite humorous results for those of you looking to have fun with emacs.
Also, try typing ESC-x followed by the word:  hanoi <n> .  This produces a
display of the solving of the Towers of Hanoi right in emacs!!  The
argument is optional, and specifies the height of the stack.

Enjoy, and have FUN WITH EMACS!

|  dmpol412@jupiter.nmt.edu  |  "Ask not what your country can do for you... |
|  MOSH activist             |  ask what your country WILL do for you.  It   |
|  The Dragon Immortal       |  will no doubt be a short answer."            |