[comp.misc] C vs. Fortran: I don't care

prentice@hydra.unm.edu (Colston Chandler PHYSICS) (12/13/90)

In article <246@locke.water.ca.gov> rfinch@caldwr.water.ca.gov (Ralph Finch) writes:

>To all the people who are trying to convince me to learn and use C:
>
>I appreciate your concern.  But, for whatever reasons, I program a lot
>in Fortran.  I read comp.lang.fortran to learn about Fortran, not
>other languages.  I do not post stuff to comp.lang.c to convince you
>to program in Fortran or Basic or whatever because the comp.lang groups
>are for discussions on that particular language, not to proselytize
>converts.  So how about moving this somewhere else?

Since there is no usergroup for scientific computation and since most of
such computation is done using Fortran, this newsgroup seems to me doubles
as a forum for those types of discussions.  Certainly questions of what
are appropiate scientific languages are appropiate to discussions of
scientific computation.  Failing there being a more appropiate newsgroup,
I really don't have any problem with these battles being played out here.
If you don't like to read about these issues, just skip those articles!
In any case, this particular discussion has migrated over to comp.lang.misc
for the most part.  I would agree that this particular battle has really
been wrung out to extremes and if people want to continue it, comp.lang.misc
is probably the better place for it now.

John Prentice