[comp.misc] What's a dink? Potential candidate for the JARGON file

daveb@ingres.com (When a problem comes along . . . you must whip it) (12/14/90)

In article <13219@vpk3.UUCP> craig@vpk3.ATT.COM (Craig Campbell) askw me:
>In article <1990Dec11.182328.27849@ingres.Ingres.COM> I wrote:

>>still be valid now.  They are essentially that the machine is too much
>>of a dink to handle a full news feed happily, that it was handy to have
>      ^^^^
>       -  Huh???   Double Income No Kids????
>
>	  Is this some local slang?  All the definitions I know for "dink"
>          don't fit in the sentence.  Whatcha mean?? (Really.)

DINK, n., adj.

    A machine too small to be worth bothering with, sometimes the
    current system you're forced to work on.  First heard from
    an MIT hacker (BADOB) working on a CP/M system with 64K in reference
    to any 6502 system, then from people writing 32 bit software about
    16 bit machines.  "GNUmacs will never work on that dink machine."
    Probably derived from "dinky", which isn't sufficiently perjorative
    as required by usage.

-dB
--
"If it were easy to understand, we wouldn't call it 'code'"
David Brower: {amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, sun}!rtech!daveb daveb@ingres.com