[comp.misc] What's Amoeba?

ee88sbp@surrey.ac.uk (Sean Broderick Purdy) (12/12/90)

In article <309@audfax.audiofax.com> arnold@audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins) writes:
>Ah well.  It's time the world moved on to something
>like Amoeba, anyway.
:

  ...WRT the various ``UNIX''s. Now I may only be a fledgling sparky
  & a read-only-user, but I've never heard of Amoeba. Any info wud be
  appreciated. Please cross-post to comp.misc 'cos my site doesn't get
  the Alt groups [ :-( ], or via E-mail. (Sorry, I can't reply to
  overseas [ex-UK] messages 'cos my site can't afford the stamps.)

  TNX in advance,

  luv SEAN xxx

  ee88sbp@ee.surrey.ac.uk  } Subject to change without notice.
  ELE838@SYSI.SURREY.AC.UK }

  P.S. Loved the Jargon File - made a hard-copy on a laser printer
  (or should that read ``I LASED a copy'') for perusal by myself & friends.

  P.P.S. Does anybody use ALGOL 68 in the `real' world? I ask merely for
  information... 'cos we get taught it as part of our undergrad course.
  (BEng/MEng Elec & Elec Eng, & BEng/MEng Information Systems Eng,
  except I think the ISE guys get to do Pascal & other stuff as well.
  And this year's First Year intake now gets taught Pascal instead.
  (...well, it was that or Modula-2...)).

  P.P.P.S. Also our UNIX (well, Sun-OS) accounts are being transferred
  from some SUN machines in the ElecEng Dept to a HP machine running
  HP-UX. Now I read some derogatory comments in the aforementioned
  Jargon File about HP-UX (ie HP-SUX). Is it really that bad?

  OK, time to go. Comments & answers much appreciated, even if I can't
  reach you personally to say thanks.

  SEAN.

  **********************************  Of course these are my personal
  **** HELP, I'VE GOT EXAMS!!!! ****  opinions. I mean, who gives a
  **********************************  XXXX about anybody else's??!!!

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/15/90)

}
}  ...WRT the various ``UNIX''s. Now I may only be a fledgling sparky
}  & a read-only-user, but I've never heard of Amoeba. Any info wud be
}  appreciated. ...

I don't know how accessible it is in the UK, but this month's issue of the
"Communications of the ACM" (December 1990, vol. 33, #12) includes a
farily extensive article about Amoeba.  It's the first I've heard of it
and I haven't read the article yet, so the pointer will have to do for
now.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, M.A., CDP, aka: hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)
Head Robot Wrangler at Citicorp(+)TTI             Illegitimis non

fuchs@it.uka.de (Harald Fuchs) (12/15/90)

ee88sbp@surrey.ac.uk (Sean Broderick Purdy) writes:

>In article <309@audfax.audiofax.com> arnold@audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins) writes:
>>Ah well.  It's time the world moved on to something
>>like Amoeba, anyway.
>:

>  ...WRT the various ``UNIX''s. Now I may only be a fledgling sparky
>  & a read-only-user, but I've never heard of Amoeba. Any info wud be
>  appreciated. Please cross-post to comp.misc 'cos my site doesn't get
>  the Alt groups [ :-( ], or via E-mail. (Sorry, I can't reply to
>  overseas [ex-UK] messages 'cos my site can't afford the stamps.)

Amoeba is the new distributed operating system of Andrew Tannenbaum,
the inventor of MINIX. A collection of the Amoeba papers is available
via anonymous FTP at many European sites, e.g. iraun1.ira.uka.de
(129.13.10.90) under pub/doc.
--

Harald Fuchs <fuchs@it.uka.de> <fuchs%it.uka.de@relay.cs.net> ...
<fuchs@telematik.informatik.uni-karlsruhe.dbp.de>   *gulp*

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (12/15/90)

In article <21871@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) writes:
>In article <1990Dec11.223529.21782@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK> ee88sbp@surrey.ac.uk (Sean Broderick Purdy) writes:
>}In article <309@audfax.audiofax.com> arnold@audiofax.com (Arnold Robbins) writes:
>}>Ah well.  It's time the world moved on to something
>}>like Amoeba, anyway.
>}  ...WRT the various ``UNIX''s. Now I may only be a fledgling sparky
>}  & a read-only-user, but I've never heard of Amoeba. Any info wud be
>}  appreciated. ...
>
>I don't know how accessible it is in the UK, but this month's issue of the
>"Communications of the ACM" (December 1990, vol. 33, #12) includes a
>farily extensive article about Amoeba.  It's the first I've heard of it
>and I haven't read the article yet, so the pointer will have to do for
>now.

If you look in the July UKUUG Proceedings, theres a fairly extensive paper
on Ameoba. Contact the UKUUG for details.

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell                 | Email: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk
The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360,|        ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (12/19/90)

fuchs@it.uka.de (Harald Fuchs) writes:
>Amoeba is the new distributed operating system of Andrew Tannenbaum,
>the inventor of MINIX. A collection of the Amoeba papers is available
>via anonymous FTP at many European sites, e.g. iraun1.ira.uka.de
>(129.13.10.90) under pub/doc.

as far as i remember there was a big (>10 articles) source posting
in comp.os.minix some time ago?!
--
      Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93
                    public source archive [HST V.42bis]: