[comp.misc] Response to Mark Crispin, proffering an olive branch

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (12/27/90)

In <13438@milton.u.washington.edu> Mark Crispin writes:
>What I need to do to the jargon file is much more than "contribute"
>with you as a filter.  As an *original author*, I feel the file needs
>major editing before it can be put forth as representative of the
>community.

No problem.  That major editing is now and has been going on.  As I
have emphasized before, *I am not an autocratic editor* -- and several
contributors have been willing to affirm that publicly, here.

However, `non-autocratic' does not equal `doormat'. If you want
changes made in a document I am editing, it is your responsibility to
formulate them and send them to me.  None of the other five First
Edition authors have a problem with this, nor have any of the three
hundred and fifty or so other people who've submitted entries,
corrections, and criticism.

>It isn't just the numerous inaccuracies or flat-out wrong statements
>(e.g. the alleged death of TECO).  It's also gratuitous insults such
>as your anti-vi flame.  What is there now myopic towards a very narrow
>group, and is thoroughly offensive to other groups including the
>original one that the jargon file represented.

Well then, help me fix it!  You saw my open letter to the ITS people.
You may have noticed they've been publicly quiet since.  What you
don't know, I guess, is that several of the people who flamed me
publicly are now cooperating with me privately, and that I'm now
on the unix-haters mailing list.

I am *actively seeking* input from cultures other than my own; some of
the Multics fans and ITS purists on here can testify to that.

>As an *original author*, I am offended that you announced your intent
>to publish this with several editorial decisions as a fait accompli.

I'm genuinely sorry you were offended.  I assumed you'd received the
manifesto I sent to the jargon-friends list, because I never got a
bounce message.  You may check with any of the other five about the
date and ask them for a copy, or just take my word for it.  I did
*not* so announce until I'd already been in consultation with Guy
Steele for months, and it'd become apparent that no one else was
able or willing to do the editing job.

I suppose this is as good a time as any to explain that I got into
this almost by accident.  Originally, what I wanted was to add a small
amount of UNIX jargon to the file and nudge the maintainer (Guy) into
distributing a revision.  Before I knew it, I found I had doubled the
length of the File.

It was *Guy* who first suggested paper publication, because Terry
Ehling at MIT Press had been noodging him for a revision of
Steele-1983 for years.  I liked the idea. For months after *that*, though,
I still thought of him as the maintainer and assumed it'd be his name
on the book (with a credit for assistance to me).

I only mentally assumed the `maintainer' position after 2.1.5 (note
that the jargon submissions address didn't change until 2.2.1).  At
this point it had been clear for a while that Guy had essentially no
time or energy to co-edit and was willing to trust my judgement.  I
had become maintainer in all but name, and *after checking with him*,
I assumed the mantle.

My point is that you came in late in the process of a gradual transfer
of responsibility.  I did not hijack the File, but having assumed the
responsibility I intend to carry it through according to maximum input
from the net *and my best judgement*.

>I was never consulted prior to these decisions; you made not attempt
>to verify that I was receiving any of your alleged mailings; and now
>you are taking the arrogant attitude that I must beg you to avoid
>being stricken from the record.  How Orwellian!

Not at all.  You are free to abuse me as vociferously as you like and
edit your own update of the File.  I'd think that rather silly, but I
wouldn't dream of trying to stop you.

What I *do* demand is that, if you want to be a part of the effort,
you express your willingness to criticize with contributions to the
effort and specific change proposals, rather than by ad-hominem
attacks on me, flamage from the sidelines, and statements that
observers other than myself have condemned as an apparent attempt
to hijack editorial control for yourself.

>I am willing to conceed that you have done a fair amount of good work.

Thank you.

>But you do *not* have the right to take the jargon file away from any
>of the original authors or from the community which gave it birth.

Nor am I attempting to do so.  All of the First Edition authors except
you have been consenting partners in the effort, and representatives
of the ITS-purist crowd are climbing on board now.

At this point, *you* are the only person I know of who is still
willing to complain in public that the File has been hijacked -- and
we can fix that if you're willing to work with me rather than against me.

>It should be possible to come up with something that everyone is happy
>with, but NOT until you give up the idea that you are The Boss.
>Before publication, your version of the jargon file must be returned
>by you to the rest of us for editing and amendment.

Of what `rest of us' are you speaking?  If it's the First Edition
authors, all but you are already involved through jargon-friends.  If
it's any group larger than that, it would be impractical to do as you
suggest.

Observe that it's not egotism or reluctance to work hard that causes
me to demur.  I have, after all, accepted revisions from *the entire
net*.  But that process has only worked because of everyone's consent
to use me as a clearing house and (in effect) send diffs in a format
relatively easy for me to merge.

Too many cooks would definitely spoil this broth.  I would hand control
to another sole editor rather than see the job botched by a committee.

>                                                    You do not have
>the final or sole say on the jargon file, much less the published
>version.

I want to be very clear on this.  I have not sought *sole* say; quite
the opposite, in fact.  But I have done the work, and it's going to be
my name on the book contract.  That makes the text my responsibility,
and I must therefore stand firm on my insistance that final editorial
control rests with me.

>Do you want to be like the theives who stole hacker-works in
>the 70's such as Adventure and profited on it?  If not, then you have
>to start *listening*.

I have been listening all along, as plenty of posters in this
newsgroup have been publicly willing to affirm.  Would you like a copy
of the three megabytes or so of submissions and comment I've received,
and of those of my responses that I still have on line?

The charge of thievery is neither fair to the facts nor a credit to you.
I have posted drafts with no restrictions on redistribution, and I have
committed to keeping the updated Jargon File on-line after paper publication;
in fact, the TeX for the ms is and will be generated from the *same* Texinfo
master which (massaged a slightly different way) yields the on-line version.
I am not stealing anything from anybody.

In <13439@milton.u.washington.edu> Mark Crispin writes:
>By the way, I have a marked-up copy of the jargon file.  My notations
>are probably too cryptic for anyone other than me.  Things range from
>new entries to philogical corrections (some linguistic references from
>the original jargon file are inaccurate) to historical/factual
>corrections to editing.

I'd love to have these.  The opinions of any First Edition author *do*
carry extra weight with me.

>I'd need at least a week, preferably a month, to get all that in.
>It's thoroughly marked-up.

Editing is hard work, isn't it?  *I've* been at it for at least seven
months.  If you want in, pay your freight.  Otherwise, kindly stop
complaining.

>And no, I am *not* going to try to write it up as a serious of e-mail
>messages.  I don't want to give you any more "lost e-mail" excuses as
>you have for not having gotten in touch with me sooner.

Fine.  Post it here, then. I think all will consider it a reasonable
use of bandwidth if that will end the dispute.

>It's going to have to go through an editing pass with me, preferably
>after you've finished, as well as editing passes with the other
>original authors and preferably also with the original MIT and
>Stanford hacking communities (assuming that the original author
>editing passes don't take care of everything that has led to so much
>offense).

The editing pass with the First Edition authors is going on now. You
are welcome to join the effort.

I post drafts to alt.folklore.computers and comp.misc regularly, and invite
corrections from anybody.  I think that discharges my obligation to
the MIT and Stanford communities.

One thing I will *not* do is develop a finished product and then
allow people who had no part in creating it and no investment in its
success to voluminously second-guess all my decisions.  This doesn't
include you personally, Mark, but it does mean I'm not going to allow
random old-timers to unilaterally `correct' me at the last second.

Even if I thought that were ethically appropriate, I'm not willing to
be hit with an unguessably huge requirement for more editing work and
change reconciliation just as I'm winding up to a publisher's
deadline!

There's a contract being drafted for me now with a Feb 15th
due date, and I am almost certainly going to sign it -- that's almost
the latest we can freeze a snapshot of the file and guarantee relase
by the 1991 holiday season.

If you or anybody else wants input into the paper edition, I *must*
insist (as a matter not of ego but of basic practicality) that you
submit incremental changes starting *now*.

I've done a tremendous amount of work already (more by far than I
expected and more than anyone on the outside could easily guess) and
I'm willing to do more; but I do not intend to devote the rest of my
life to this one effort.

Nor am I willing to finish the work on terms dictated by you or
anybody else.  I work hard not to have an obtrusive ego about my role;
I've written before about trying to function as a transparent
instrument of the hacker community, and I meant every word of that (as
I think my actions have demonstrated).  But I do have my self-respect,
and I won't abandon a working accommodation endorsed by the consensus
of the net to please even you.

If you want your changes in (and I emphasize that I would urgently like to
have your input), you'll have to negotiate with me about them
on the same footing as the other First Edition authors have agreed to;
on-line, with criticism unsparing but directed at issues rather than
personalities, and with fundamental consent that the person doing the
work and accepting the public responsibility gets the final decisions.

Though I didn't intend it as a concession, you may take encouragement
from the fact that I have decided to eliminate Appendix B (the
obsolescent-entries section) and the big jargon-friends debate
of the moment is over how much (if any) of the cruft I'd consigned to
it should be dropped.

Be assured that I will listen to what you have to say with attention
and respect.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (12/29/90)

Reading the ongoing debate between Eric and Mark has led me to the conclusion
that Eric has the true hacker nature, while Mark is merely burbling.

Eric has bent over backwards to include old terms and new, with the only
criterion being that they have relevance to the true hacker culture as it
exists *today*. The jargon file is, and should be, a living document, and
attempts to freeze it in the past do no good at all. If you don't like the
way something reads, or think a term belongs in there, suggest a change -
but don't demand it - unless you're prepared to take it over yourself, *and
can do the job as well as Eric has*.

Mark is trying to do exactly what he has accused Eric of with his unreasonable
demands: he's trying to steal the _current_ file. I'd much rather he crawled
back under the carcass of the PDP-10 he's been hiding under all these years.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.