[comp.misc] Request for information - cracker tactics

mercer@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) (12/29/90)

Request for information - cracker tactics

First,  a proviso.  My intentions are purely literal,  not felonious.
I do not crack people's systems,  nor do I support people who do.  I
have no intentions of using any information provided to crack anyone's
system.  I expressly ask that no one provide me with information
detailed enough to allow me to crack someone's system (I am only
human,  after all.  Well,  at least on my mom's side of the family).
Since the information will be intended for general readership,
specifics are not necessary.

As a general background,  I have read Cliff Stoll's great book (Cliff
set the land speed record for Buffalonians working in a plug for the
old town).  What I'm interested in are:

	1. Phone phreaking - what are its parameters - capabilities,
	   limitations.  In John Camp's book _Fool's_Run_,  he outlines
	   some really strange capabilities,  like being able to place a
	   call that gets traced back to a phone booth in Kabul.  Seemed
	   pretty fanciful to me.

	2. Accessibility to public databanks - DMV,  NCIC,  etc.

	3. Accessibility to private databanks - TRW,  credit card
	   companies.  Having worked with the simplistic protocols used by
	   credit card readers,  I can easily believe that credit card
	   transactions would be very easy to spoof.  What else?

	4. Now the weird one,  use your imagination here.  I need ways in
	   which cracking could be used to bring about someone's demise.
	   Be real careful here.

	5. Leads to non-net experts would be greatly appreciated.

What do you get for your help?  My everlasting appreciation (big
deal!).  Ok, ok,  how about an acknowledgement if and when published.
And maybe a freebie copy,  if I can swing it.

Email,  of course,  unless you wish to draw the baleful ire of the NET
gods.

Thanks in advance,  and Happy New Year,

Dan Mercer

--
Dan Mercer
NCR Network Products Division      -        Network Integration Services

floyd@ims.alaska.edu (Floyd Davidson) (01/03/91)

In article <808@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> mercer@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:
>Request for information - cracker tactics
>
>First,  a proviso.  My intentions are purely literal,  not felonious.
>I do not crack people's systems,  nor do I support people who do.  I
>have no intentions of using any information provided to crack anyone's
>system.  I expressly ask that no one provide me with information
>detailed enough to allow me to crack someone's system (I am only
>human,  after all.  Well,  at least on my mom's side of the family).
>Since the information will be intended for general readership,
>specifics are not necessary.
>
>As a general background,  I have read Cliff Stoll's great book (Cliff
>set the land speed record for Buffalonians working in a plug for the
>old town).  What I'm interested in are:

Two of these are areas where I have considerable experience and
expertize.  The others (and how to spell), I know nothing about.
Someone else can clue you in on them.

>	1. Phone phreaking - what are its parameters - capabilities,
>	   limitations.  In John Camp's book _Fool's_Run_,  he outlines
>	   some really strange capabilities,  like being able to place a
>	   call that gets traced back to a phone booth in Kabul.  Seemed
>	   pretty fanciful to me.

There is only one safe way to do phone phreaking.  All others lead to
serious confrontations with the judicial system.  Note that it is
very easy to have your call traced to Kabul.  Call from there.
Otherwise that is a joke on todays network.  But to be safe and
not need to exagerate your exploits, go to work for the phone
company.  Sheesh, man, I get paid to phreak all kinds of trunks.
I even get to write down what I did and file it away forever.

>	2. Accessibility to public databanks - DMV,  NCIC,  etc.

Don't know.

>	3. Accessibility to private databanks - TRW,  credit card
>	   companies.  Having worked with the simplistic protocols used by
>	   credit card readers,  I can easily believe that credit card
>	   transactions would be very easy to spoof.  What else?

Don't know.

>	4. Now the weird one,  use your imagination here.  I need ways in
>	   which cracking could be used to bring about someone's demise.
>	   Be real careful here.

Best way I know to crack someone and cause their total demise is
to use a baseball bat.  Works best from behind, they don't get
their arms in the way then.  Not too sporting of you, though.

>	5. Leads to non-net experts would be greatly appreciated.
>Dan Mercer
>NCR Network Products Division      -        Network Integration Services
>"MAN - the only one word oxymoron in the English Language"

Hey Dan, wait six months and you will be part of the phone company!

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                  floyd@ims.alaska.edu
Salcha, AK 99714                    paycheck connection to Alascom, Inc.