[comp.misc] Tinkertoy and Mechanical Computers

lpress@isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) (01/12/91)

I have seen mention of a tic-tac-toe machine built of Tinkertoys.
Can someone give me a pointer to an article on this and any other
machines using unusual components for logic and/or memory?

Larry

jpenne@ee.ualberta.ca (Jerry Penner) (01/12/91)

In article <16352@venera.isi.edu> lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
>I have seen mention of a tic-tac-toe machine built of Tinkertoys.
>Can someone give me a pointer to an article on this and any other
>machines using unusual components for logic and/or memory?
>
>Larry

Check an issue of Scientific American in the May-August 1988 range.  Or
maybe a little later.  Sorry to be so inconcise.  But it's in the Computer
Recreations sometime in the second half of 1988 if I recall anywhere close
to correctly.

--
-------------
    Jerry Penner	alberta!bode!jpenne	Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us (Dan Hartung) (01/12/91)

lpress@venera.isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
>I have seen mention of a tic-tac-toe machine built of Tinkertoys.
>Can someone give me a pointer to an article on this and any other
>machines using unusual components for logic and/or memory?

Scientific American's computer columnsit, A.K. Dewdney, did a column
about this last spring (?).  Full description and a marvelously
detailed illustration showing exactly how it works!

--
:;:;:;:;:;:;:  Daniel A. Hartung         : Disclaimer:
 \|/ \|/ \|/   dhartung@chinet.chi.il.us : My opinions are married to me,
  |   |   |    Birch Grove Software      : forsaking all others.

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (01/12/91)

The Tinkertoy tic-tac-toe machine is in the Boston Computer Museum.
It wasn't operational during our visit in November.

jfb@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Jamie Bradford) (01/13/91)

In article <16352@venera.isi.edu>, lpress@isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
> I have seen mention of a tic-tac-toe machine built of Tinkertoys.
> Can someone give me a pointer to an article on this and any other
> machines using unusual components for logic and/or memory?
>
> Larry

In a book titled _The_Recursive_Universe_, the author (whose name I have
forgotten) discusses building a computer out of Life gliders and
glider guns.  The book is very Life-oriented, and good reading in general.

Jamie Bradford
jfb@naucse.cse.nau.edu