[comp.misc] Can't Connect to SUMEX

paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) (01/15/91)

The last few times, I have tried to connect to the INFO-MAC archives,
I have had problems. After connecting to the site, and typing in
the appropriate username (ANONYMOUS0 and the password, it replies that
all connections are busy and to try back at a later time.

This has happened to me both in the middle of the day and late at night
on several occasions. Has SUMEX become that busy, or is there some sort of
problem?

				Nuno

--
Nuno M. Paixao    \\ PAIXAO@UG.CS.DAL.CA  \\  So I don't have an exciting
2319 Clifton St.  \\ DEXTER@AC.DAL.CA     \\  .SIGNATURE file.... If you

paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca (Nuno M. Paixao) (01/15/91)

>the appropriate username (ANONYMOUS0 and the password, it replies that
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^

Small typo --> That should be (ANONYMOUS).

				Nuno

--

ebrewer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ellen Brewer) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.020109.9548@cs.dal.ca> paixao@ug.cs.dal.ca
(Nuno M. Paixao) writes:
>The last few times, I have tried to connect to the INFO-MAC archives,
>I have had problems. After connecting to the site, and typing in
>the appropriate username (ANONYMOUS0 and the password, it replies that
>all connections are busy and to try back at a later time.
>
>This has happened to me both in the middle of the day and late at night
>on several occasions. Has SUMEX become that busy, or is there some sort of
>problem?

Quoting from Info-Mac Vol. 9 Issue 6:

>Date: Wed, 9 Jan 91 15:41:23 PST
>From: mtm@camis.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin)
>Subject: Administrivia
>
>[... From our sysadmin...]
>
>        We are installing a new ftp daemon on SUMEX-AIM which will limit
>the number of simultaneous anonymous ftp connections. We have been forced to
>this because the system load quite often gets high enough that normal
>usage comes to a standstill. Currently this is set up to allow 25 connections
>at a time, and anonymous logins are prevented after that until the number
>of connections again drops below 25. We are trying to find a way that this
>number can be raised during "off hours" so that possibly a hundred connections
>might be allowed in the middle of the night or on weekends. This will
>follow shortly, but presently, the limit is fixed at 25 round the clock.
>        We still wish to support the info-mac community, and hope that this
>does not cause undue hardships. As the limits will keep the system load to
>a reasonable level, file transfer performance should INCREASE significantly,
>allowing more transfers per unit of time, which should make life easier for
>the info-mac community in the long run.
>        I am asking that info-mac users be made aware of this policy, and
>to ask for everybody's cooperation to keep the ftp access open. They should
>keep their login time to a minimum, so that others will get a chance to use
>the service, and call during off hours (Pacific time) for the greatest
>chance of making a successful connection. This also implies that multiple
>connections per user is highly anti-social, and may lead to our taking
>even more anti-social actions to prevent this kind of activity.
>
>Thank you,
>
>mike - (Mike Macgirvin)       mtm@CAMIS.Stanford.EDU
>System Administrator          SUMEX-AIM Computer Facility
>
>[There also seems to have been a change to the password checker. It now
> looks to see if the password seems like a real mail address. -Bill]

Quoting from Info-Mac Vol. 9 Issue 7:

--
Ellen Brewer (ebrewer@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu)
"Non ignara mali, miseris succurrere disco."