[comp.misc] How reliable is FTP-by-mail?

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean) (01/20/91)

In Article <LIBOVE.91Jan15112818@libove.det.dec.com>,
libove@libove.det.dec.com (Jay Vassos-Libove) writes:

>There are FTP-by-mail services offered in a number of places, one
>of which is bitftp@pucc.bitnet (ala bitftp%pucc.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
>for other mailers that understand arpa routing, and
>...!psuvm!pucc.bitnet!bitftp for simple UUCP routings), which allow
>ANYONE who can send mail (and that presumably includes anyone who
>can read/send news) to FTP files, WITHOUT flooding the whole @#$%#$
>world with gigantic postings.

   I've tried the mail servers at NIC.DDN.MIL and SIMTEL20, and
I've had problems with some parts getting lost in the mail. Is
there an FTP server that has a command like "RESEND PART XX"? Or,
how about an FTP-to-UUCP server? Anonymous-UUCP sounds a lot more
reliable than mail, although it might have its own problems.

zaphod@madnix.UUCP (Ron Bean)
{harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!zaphod