[comp.misc] Experience repost

dehaan@let.rug.nl (Remmelt de Haan) (01/23/91)

A few days ago I wrote:
>I'm more or less a beginner at Unix and the Internet and I would like to
>invite other Internet users to mail me their weirdest experiences or
>greatest blunders. I intend to use it for a paper. The information will be
>treated confidentially (if necessary :-). I don't know if this is the right
>place for such a request and maybe I'm not the first one to ask, either.
>(No flames, please). If the responses are good, I'll post a summary on the
>Net. Also I would like to hear from Net-addicts (people who are down when
>the system down).

I've received 12 answers so far and about 80% is useful. I've noticed that some
of the people who mailed me approached me in their level of knowledge. I am
sure the anecdotes they told me were funny, but I didn't understand them too
well. I am a Unix *beginner* and not a programmer. The summary is also
intended for people who've, more or less, never worked with computers before.
So, to anybody who wants to respond from now on, treat me as if I know don't
know nothing about it.

I would like to hear a bit more from Net-addicts. So here a few extra questions
for users (the word 'user' gets a whole new meaning :-)
          (I'll bet I'm not the first who cracked that one)

1. How many hours a day are you hooked up to the Net
2. What is your main activity during a session
3. What is your level of knowledge; beginner, intermediate or wizard
4. How do people around you respond to your behaviour
5. Do you behave differently when 'talking' to others users (as opposed to
   talking face-to-face

Thanks again,

Remmelt de Haan
|Dept. of Computer Science|                                              |
|     Faculty of Arts     |   In the beginning the Universe was created. |
|  Groningen  University  | This has made a lot of people very angry and |
|     the Netherlands     |     been widely regarded as a bad move.      |
|    dehaan@let.rug.nl    |         THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY |