[comp.misc] MACSYMA

cyh@cs.brown.edu (Chih-Yung Huang) (01/26/91)

Does anybody know a software called MACSYMA? I heaerd that it is some kind of
mathematical expert system which can solve some problems such as matrix,
tensors and a couple of O.D.E. The most important feature of it is that the
solution is represented by symbolic form rather than numerical one.
I am looking for one version of it which can be run at 80386 PC. Any
information, including price, producer, etc, will be highly appreciated.

                                          Chih-Yung Huang

heinz@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Alois Heinz) (01/28/91)

cyh@cs.brown.edu (Chih-Yung Huang) writes:

>Does anybody know a software called MACSYMA? I heaerd that it is some kind of
>mathematical expert system which can solve some problems such as matrix,
>tensors and a couple of O.D.E. The most important feature of it is that the
>solution is represented by symbolic form rather than numerical one.
>I am looking for one version of it which can be run at 80386 PC. Any
>information, including price, producer, etc, will be highly appreciated.

>                                          Chih-Yung Huang

here comes the address:

   Computer Aided Mathematics Group
   Symbolics, Inc.
   8 New England Executive Park, East
   Burlington, MA 01803

Macsyma needs a lot of memory, so I don't know if there exists a 80386 PC version.
I think it is not cheap also.

You may consider another package, called Maple, but I don't know if they have a
80386 PC version. The address is:

   Waterloo Maple Software
   160 Columbia Street West
   Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
   N2L 3L3

   Phone (519) 747-2373
   Fax   (519) 747-5284

We have got Macsyma and Maple on our Unix machines. Most of the time I am
using Maple.

Alois Heinz