[comp.misc] Nixdorf Computer

zank@netcom.UUCP (Mathew Zank) (01/28/91)

Does anyone know any thing about the German Company called Nixdorf Computer?
are they a hardware company, if so what kind of systems do they make?
--
Matthew Zank - Eau Claire, Wi
*******************************

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (01/29/91)

zank@netcom.UUCP (Mathew Zank) writes:

>Does anyone know any thing about the German Company called Nixdorf Computer?
>are they a hardware company, if so what kind of systems do they make?
Yes, Nixdorf is a hardware company. They work a lot with niche things, like
point-of-sales systems and (I believe) ATMs.
--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>

kirchner@informatik.uni-kl.de (Reinhard Kirchner) (01/29/91)

From article <azzm99.8p5@wang.com>, by ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman):
> zank@netcom.UUCP (Mathew Zank) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know any thing about the German Company called Nixdorf Computer?
>>are they a hardware company, if so what kind of systems do they make?
> Yes, Nixdorf is a hardware company. They work a lot with niche things, like
                    ^^^^^^^^

definitly no. They are a complete systems company, they make whole systems
including hardware, software, application software, services and everything.

> point-of-sales systems and (I believe) ATMs.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This and many other things like bank terminals etc., but also small multi
user systems etc. They are large enough to have had 800 million DM loss
last year, and were taken over by Siemens for obvious reasons, so
we now have Siemens-Nixdorf-Computers here in Germany.

There is a lot to say about Nixdorfs strategy and its problems, but there
are Nixdorfers on the net who are more competent to do this.

Reinhard Kirchner
Univ. Kaiserslautern, Germany
kirchner@uklirb.informatik.uni-kl.de

aag@aber-cs.UUCP (Angela Gilham) (01/31/91)

Nixdorf per se no longer exists. The company was one of the
major European producers of hardware: everything from PC
clones to mainframes via ATMs, electronic supermarket checkout
systems and just about any other piece of hardware you can think
of. After posting a loss last year approximately equivalent to
the budget of a small third world country :-) they were bought
by Siemens (German, into computer hardware, defence hardware,
dedicated computerised engineering tools, software) last
autumn. Siemens are now trying to pull the company round.
The survival of Nixdorf as an independent entity is probably
unlikely; expect Siemens to incorporate what they think will
fit in with their core businesses and ruthelessly sell off or
close anything they either a) don't really want or b) think
doesn't stand a chance of making a profit.

Angela

E aag@aber.cs (UK)       \S  Ms A M Gilham               \V
M aag@cs.aber.ac.uk (inet)\N  Dept of Computer Science    \O  +44
A ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs-aag\A  University College of Wales,\I  970 622449
I           (uucp)          \I  Aberyswyth, Dyfed.          \C
L                            \L  SY23 3BZ. UK                \E

ORAKEL@rzmain.rz.uni-ulm.de (Framstag) (01/31/91)

> zank@netcom.UUCP (Mathew Zank) writes:
>
> >Does anyone know any thing about the German Company called Nixdorf Computer?
> >are they a hardware company, if so what kind of systems do they make?

Nixdorf was one of the biggest German computer companies and was bought
by Siemens last year. So, Nixdorf exists no more longer, but is part of
Siemens.

 Ulli Horlacher # Student consultant VAX/VMS and networks # University of Ulm
   orakel@dulruu51.bitnet # orakel@rz.uni-ulm.dbp.de # orakel@rz.uni-ulm.de
     "With mainframes you just can do nonsense, with PCs not even that."