[comp.misc] Memory Chips 1*1*80ns

asaxon@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Allan Saxon) (01/30/91)

Anyone know what the going (best) rate is for these (1*1*80ns) memory chips?
I'm looking for a mail-order company or anyone interested in selling the one
he/she has.

Things to look for
Tax - I'm in california so if the company is in California I have to add tax
Visa - I want to use my Visa and don't want to pay a % surcharge
Shipping - Speed not important, but cost....
Costomer service - Want someone I could call back if something went wrong.

Any overall best compay? anyone have experience? (with buying chips...)
	Thanks in advance
		Allan
| Allan Saxon           |  asaxon@jarthur.claremont.edu  |  (714) 625-1948  |
| Harvey Mudd College   |  asaxon@hmcvax.claremont.edu   |                  |

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (02/01/91)

In article <10555@jarthur.Claremont.EDU>, asaxon@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Allan Saxon) writes:
> Anyone know what the going (best) rate is for these (1*1*80ns) memory chips?
> I'm looking for a mail-order company or anyone interested in selling the one
> he/she has.

I have bought all my loose memory (not installed in boards) from
Microprocessors Unlimited.  They have an ad in every Computer Shopper,
Electronic Engineering Times, Byte, .... and I always get the
phone number from there when I need it.

They got my first order because they had absolutely the lowest advertised
prices (better than my clients get from Pioneer).  After I saw their
attitude, packaging, shipping, credit policy, I never considered
another vendor.

They prefer to take a credit card number as security, ship immediately,
and wait a few days for your check to arrive.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

PS - if your application is a bit strange, you need to know what you
want - the people who take orders can't be counted to recognize something
beyond their competence and bring in a knowledgable tech.  I encountered
this when there was a similar part number with a suffix that meant a
different pinout - I needed the strange one.  They resolved it quickly
to my satisfaction.

jb@falstaff.mae.cwru.edu (Jim Berilla) (02/02/91)

In article <3037.27a92782@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) writes:

[ Good things about Microprocessors Unlimited ]

I would recommend them also.  I've bought a lot of stuff from them, and
have never had a problem.  Their prices may not be the best, but close
enough that it's worth the extra few bucks to make sure that I get the
parts when I need them.  I've called them many times in the late afternoon
and gotten the chips the next morning (Braggs, Ok -> Cleveland, Oh).

One thing that may annoy some people is that they charge for everything.
It's all itemized on the invoice: the parts, the box it came in, the
self-addressed stamped envelope that they provide for you to mail your
check back to them, everything.  It doesn't bother me, at least I know
what I'm paying for, instead of a mysterious "shipping & handling" charge.

The other thing is that you have to know exactly what you want.  It
helps to know manufacturer and part numbers, and alternate parts that
can be used.  They check stock (quickly) while you're on the phone, and
can recommend substitutes, but you have to make the final decision.
They can tell you what kind of memory to put in an IBM or Compac, but
don't count on them knowing anything about an import clone.

One thing that I like is that they keep records of their customers.  I
call them up and tell them who I am, and they already know the shipping
address, phone number, and credit card number to charge if I forget to
send my check.  (They've never charged my credit card, even when I sent
my check a week and a half late.)

Ordering is really easy.  They answer their phone quickly, don't put you
on hold, take your order, check stock, and the whole process takes only
a few minutes.
I think this is a family run business.  They run it with low overhead
and do it very well IMHO.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for them, I'm just very satisfied with their service.

--
      Jim Berilla / jb@falstaff.cwru.edu / 216-368-6776
"My opinions are my own, except on Wednesday mornings at 9 AM,