[comp.misc] Feb 3, 1991 statistics - Boston net.scamming in *.jobs.* groups

eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) (02/03/91)

STATISTICS UPDATE FEBRUARY 3, 1991    HEADHUNTERS SCAMMING ON USENET

Each count in the table below is the number of net.people trying
to use the net to sell mostly worthless information about
the Boston job market, or lack of same.

!-----------------------------------------------------------------!
!    NET.SCAMMER       ORGANIZATION             RAISON D'ETRE     !
!-----------------------------------------------------------------!

1   JOEL NAROD         HARVARD UNIVERSITY       UNKNOWN

This data is from my opinion and assessments about the boston
job market and Narod's intentions as reported by someone who
tried to get more detailed information out of him.

Thanks for your many email expressions of interest and appreciation.

--
/* Salaam, not Saddam. */
/* eli@spdcc.com  eli@pws.bull.com    617 932 5598  508 294 7556  */

herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (daniel lance herrick) (02/05/91)

In article <20814@know.pws.bull.com>, eli@pws.bull.com (Steve Elias) writes:
> STATISTICS UPDATE FEBRUARY 3, 1991    HEADHUNTERS SCAMMING ON USENET
>
> Each count in the table below is the number of net.people trying
> to use the net to sell mostly worthless information about
> the Boston job market, or lack of same.
>
> This data is from my opinion and assessments about the boston
> job market and Narod's intentions as reported by someone who
> tried to get more detailed information out of him.
>
> Thanks for your many email expressions of interest and appreciation.

Dear Steve,

Back last August, or thereabouts, in a discussion of contractor
marketing on misc.jobs.contract, Joel told us of his database of
information about employment ads in the Boston Globe.  I told him
that database would be valuable to other contractors in the Boston
area.  Joel disappeared from the net.  Recently he reappeared, saying
he had spent the intervening time programming the database to allow
him to provide inquiries into it to other contractors.

Joel is reporting real numbers about companies who have paid millions
of dollars for those ads in the Sunday Boston Globe.  There is no
misrepresentation.  The information he is posting is valuable in itself.
It would be more valuable if he would put three or four consecutive
weeks counts beside the corresponding counts for three months and a
year earlier.

The information about last week is easily verifiable or deniable -
go to a library somewhere around Boston and look at last Sunday's
Globe.  If there were, indeed, fewer than 80 (I don't remember this
week's number) employment ads containing the keywords he names, then
you can call him a liar and make it stick.

However, what I see is Joel has spent several hours carefully collecting
data out of the Sunday Boston Globe, and has been kind enough to freely
share some of that data with us.

On the other hand, you have vented your frustrations by calling him names.
Joel has done us a bigger service than you have.  If you are in the
Boston area and trying to find a job, there are many on the net who
will gladly help you change your jobhunting techniques to ones that
work better.  Joel Narod is one of them.  He has some very good
marketing advice to offer that he has freely posted before.

dan herrick
herrickd@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com

To the rest of you, I apologize for putting this personal communication
in such a widely distributed forum, but these attempts at character
assassination should be countered where they have been displayed.