[comp.misc] Poem: The Last Bug

tomas@u30003.rsv.svskt.se (Tomas Ruden) (02/05/91)

A couple of years ago I saw a poem called "The Last Bug". The two first
lines was:

	But you're out of your mind, they said with a shrug
	The custumer's happy with one little bug

And then it went on describing the poor programmers struggle to
find the last bug. Is there someone that has the complete poem and
could mail it to me?

Thanks in advance.
--
Tomas Ruden,  ...!sunic!u30003!tomas or tomas@u30003.rsv.svskt.se

Don't blame the Swedish Tax Administration for my opinions

rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb04.171232.16218@u30003.rsv.svskt.se> tomas@u30003.rsv.svskt.se (Tomas Ruden) writes:

>A couple of years ago I saw a poem called "The Last Bug". The two first
>lines was:
>
>	But you're out of your mind, they said with a shrug
>	The custumer's happy with one little bug

                "But you're out of your mind,"
                They said with a shrug.
                The customer's happy,
                What's one little bug?

                But he was determined,
                The others went home,
                He spread out the program,
                Deserted, alone.

                The cleaning men came, the
                Whole room was cluttered
                With core dumps and punch cards.
                "I'm so close," he muttered.

                The mumbling got louder,
                "Simple deduction,
                I've got it, all right!
                Just change one instruction!"

                It still wasn't perfect
                As year followed year,
                And strangers would comment
                "Is that guy still here?"

                He died at the console
                Of hunger and thirst
                The next day he was buried,
                Face-down, nine-edge first.

                And the last bug in sight,
                An ant passing by,
                Saluted his tombstone,
                And whispered, "Nice try!"

baird@nosc.NOSC.MIL (John M. Baird) (02/14/91)

From article <10172@scolex.sco.COM>, by rosso@sco.COM (Ross Oliver):

> In article <1991Feb04.171232.16218@u30003.rsv.svskt.se> tomas@u30003.rsv.svskt.se (Tomas Ruden) writes:
>>
>>A couple of years ago I saw a poem called "The Last Bug". The two first
>>lines was:
>>
>>	But you're out of your mind, they said with a shrug
>>	The custumer's happy with one little bug

I also thought there was a verse that included a line like:
	He's not really dead, he's just working late
	(spoken by his widow)

or is that some other poem?

John Baird, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA USA