[comp.misc] Prodigy Special Offer hits my mailbox...

jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu (Jamie Saker) (02/05/91)

This afternoon, I received an "entertaining" form letter in my U.S. Mailbox
from Fred Larson, Vice President of Prodigy Services Company.
Because of the discussions in various newsgroups about PRODIGY, I
thought I'd post the letter and hear what others have to say about
it.  I'd be especially interested in hearing PRODIGY user's and
ex-user's comments.

I'm considering taking up their offer, just to see what kind of
service and software they have set up... (what's that they say
about know thy enemy? :-)  )

Naturally, I have absolutely NO connection with PRODIGY, IBM or
Sears.

--------letter begins------------------------------------------------------
This is your invitation to join over a half-million computer users who have
discovered how PRODIGY(R) Service Membership lets them do things in a whole
new way - easily and conveniently.

Best of all, you can enjoy full Membership priviledges for 30 days and,
if you don't think it's as exciting as we say, you don't have to pay a
thing for that month's membership fee!

Dear Computer User:

In this letter, I'm going to tell you about something truly amazing.
To get an idea of how incredible the PRODIGY service is, imagine this:

The year is 1948. You've just purchased a TV set, a huge console
with a little screen. While you're watching "Arthur Godfrey's Talent
Scouts," you go through your mail. You find a letter describing something
called Cable TV.  "Over 100 channels," says the letter. "A network
for every interest."  "Beautiful color reception."

"Yes," you think as you squint at the fuzzy black and white image on
your new set, "This Cable TV sounds wonderful.  And it's about as
likely that we'll put a man on the moon."

Well, what I'm about to describe will make your computer seem like a
1948 Philco TV set. But that's where my analogy ends, because the
PRODIGY service is not something that's coming way off in the future.
It's here now, and toward the end of this letter, I'll even tell you
how you can try it without risk.

		First, you get connected...
		---------------------------

Getting started on the PRODIGY service is even easier than hooking
up to Cable TV. You simply "hook up" your computer, via a phone line
and modem, to our network. It's easy to do. And once you do, you'll
find you're connected to hundreds of features that can enhance your
enjoyment of the things that interest you most.

		Let's say, for instance, that
		-----------------------------
	you're interested in personal finance...

There are thousands of PRODIGY Service Members who are a lot like
you. You'll find them on our Money Talk Bulletin Board, where you can
exchange tips, ideas and viewpoints online. You'll also find advice
about taxes, real estate, personal investments and more, from sources such
as Julian Block, Robert Bruss, Brendan Boyd and "Changing Times" magazine.

So much for _talking_ about making money. The PRODIGY service also
lets you do something about it. If you're an investor, you'll use the
PRODIGY service to get stock quotes provided by Dow Jones News/
Retrieval almost as fast as your broker can. You can even track your
entire stock portfolio (up to 30 securities) automatically. There's
also a feature that gives you instant access to updated stories about
specific companies.

And with our online discount brokerage service, you can place buy and
sell orders long after your broker has gone home. With all of these
features, your investment decisions will be informed --- and timely.

But whether or not you're an active investor, you'll love our online
banking.* (*Bank fees may apply). Pay bills automatically (without
writing checks), see account balances when you want, transfer funds
and more. It's a terrific convenience.

	Now let's say you're interested in travel...

The PRODIGY service has a Travel Bulletin Board where Members (and our
online travel experts) exchange ideas. You can get a great tip here,
whether you're going to the Far East or the Midwest, travelling
alone or with your family. The Mobil Travel Guide(TM) helps you choose
what sights to see all across America. And you can get special Members-only
deals on tour packages and cruises.

When you know where you're going, you can book your own flights, hotels,
and rental cars with EAASY SABRE and find the lowest available
domestic and international airfares. And before you leave, check the
Accu-Weather(R) forecasts for more than 325 cities, foreign and domestic.

	...or just about anything else.
	-------------------------------

Like sports? The PRODIGY service can give you scores even _while_games_
_are_in_progress_, with information from SportsTicker. And try your
hand at our trivia quizzes and contests. (Last year, a Member won a
trip to the Super Bowl(TM) )

Entertainment? You'll find reviews on music, videos, movies and books,
including a column by Gene Siskel. On our Arts Club Bulletin Board,
you can "talk" to Members on just about any topic from Mailer to
Mahler to MGM to MTV. If you're going out, the Zagat Restaurant Survey
will provide descriptions of eateries by type of cuisine, price and
location. Staying in? Discover the gems at your video store (and
avoid the bombs) by consulting our Movie Guide, with descriptions of
over 13,000 films. And _Consumer_Reports_ Ratings can help you find the
autio and video equipment best suited to you.

You can even order electronic equipment online and get the guarenteed
lowest prices on many items. Or choose from a huge selection of CD's,
cassettes, and videos.

Into computers? Our Computer Club Bulletin Board has animated
discussions about hardware, software and online services, including
some really hot tips. The online Software Guide can give you input
on over 540 programs, so you can spend your money on the software
that's right for you. In fact, you can even spend _less_ money, because
when you order software on the PRODIGY service, you'll get some great
discount prices.

Have kids? Your PRODIGY Service Membership includes them, too (at no
additional charge). They'll find dozens of features, like an entire
encyclopedia (it would cost more than $700 if you bought it in hard
cover), online and updated quarterly. There's also the popular
geographical adventure game, "Where in the World is Carmen
Sandiego?". The WGBH show, NOVA, has a feature with fascinating science
experiments. _Weekly_Reader_(R) lets kids help write short stories.
And the SmartKids(SM) Quiz tests their knowledge on everything from
astronomy to zoology.

Just want to have fun? Let us entertain you. With games, contests,
humor and lots more. Some of our Members spend hours just using
Electronic Mail and Bulletin Boards. And why not? Membership
includes 30 free personal messages to other members per month
and you pay _no_access_charges_and_no_timed_usage_charges. More
on that in a moment.

	The PRODIGY service puts great values at
		your fingertips!
		----------------

If you think that big savings and big crowds have to go hand in hand,
think again. Think about shopping on the PRODIGY service!

Just press some buttons, or click your mouse, and get the _lowest_
_authorized_dealer_prices_ on name brand photographic equipment,
tableware and more. Save 20% off retail on men's apparel. Shop from
some of the world's best-known catalogs and department stores.
Take advantage of special deals for PRODIGY Service Members only.
And discover what may just be the world's easiest way to sho for and
send gifts. In some areas, you can even do your grocery shopping
online.

	If you think the PRODIGY service sounds incredible,
		wait until you see the value.
		-----------------------------

I mentioned earlier that, unlike other online services, we do not charge
for the time you spend on the service. In other words, you can access
all the features mentioned in this letter and the enclosed brochure
over regular phone lines for as long as you want.

And all it costs is _just_$12.95_a_month_* (*Membership includes 30
free messages per month. Additional messages will be billed at only
$.25 each.) (plus tax) What's more, that monthly Membership fee is
for your whole family, so up to 6 members of your household can enroll
on the service and have access to as many of the features as _they_
like. You'll still pay just $12.95 a month!

And, for no additional charge, you'll get plenty of additional
Member benefits. Like a monthly newsletter. Invitations to free
seminars in your area. See the back of the enclosed Membership Card
for a complete list of benefits.

If everything I've described still sounds too good to believe, we've
	got a special offer to let you see for yourself -- without
		risking a penny for Membership!
		-------------------------------

To fully understand how incredible the PRODIGY service is, and all it
can do for you, you've got to see it in action. And I fully
understand that, while you may be interested, you may feel you don't have
enough information to lay down your money. Okay, don't.

Just return the enclosed Order Card. Or call the toll-free number on it.
We'll send you a PRODIGY Service Start-up Kit, complete with PRODIGY
software, FREE.

Then enjoy the service for a month by taking advantage of full
Membership priviledges. You've got a month to decide if PRODIGY Service
Membership is everything I've said it is.

If you agree, find.  Just pay your first bill when it comes, and your
Membership will continue. But if you don't agree, simply mark the
bill "cancel," return it, and your Membership and first month's
Membership fee of $12.95 will be cancelled.  The Start-up Kit is
yours to keep. Furthermore, even if you do continue, you can still
cancel whenever you like. _There's_never_an_obligation_or_commitment_
_to_continue_.

With nothing to lose, and so much to gain, why not take advantage
of our No-Risk Trial Offer today?

I look forward to welcome you as a Member.

Sincerely,

Fred Larson
Vice President

P.S. The back of the Order Card explains what your computer needs
to receive the PRODIGY service. We realize that not all computer
owners have a modem, so we have made an arrangement to provide a
Hayes(R) Personal Modem 2400 to those who need one for just $149.95
plus tax.  See the Order Card for details.

------------------------------END----------------------------------------------

|    Jamie Saker     jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu   Public Relations Director     |||
||   C&DC Consultant jsaker@orion.unomaha.edu  UNO Student Chapter of the     ||
||| "Go Hawkeyes!"   JSAKER@UNOMA1 (bitnet)    Assoc. for Computing Machinery  |
	    [Include your standard fool-proof disclaimer here]

cws9669@isc.rit.edu (C.W. Southern ) (02/06/91)

I will not even consider subcribing to Prodigy until they link up with
the rest of the networking world!!!!!  It might not look as nice but I will
stick with CompuServe.

--
    ______   ______
   /        /_____   Christopher Southern        INTERNET: cws9669@ultb.rit.edu

cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) (02/06/91)

In article <7569.27addc02@zeus.unomaha.edu> jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu (Jamie Saker) writes:
>This afternoon, I received an "entertaining" form letter in my U.S. Mailbox
>from Fred Larson, Vice President of Prodigy Services Company.
>Because of the discussions in various newsgroups about PRODIGY, I
>thought I'd post the letter and hear what others have to say about
>it.  I'd be especially interested in hearing PRODIGY user's and
>ex-user's comments.
>
>--------letter begins------------------------------------------------------

[Much of letter deleted]

>Best of all, you can enjoy full Membership priviledges for 30 days and,
>if you don't think it's as exciting as we say, you don't have to pay a
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>thing for that month's membership fee!
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
.
.
.

>If you agree, find.  Just pay your first bill when it comes, and your
>Membership will continue. But if you don't agree, simply mark the
                                                           ^^^^^^^
>bill "cancel," return it, and your Membership and first month's
 ^^^^
>Membership fee of $12.95 will be cancelled.  The Start-up Kit is
>yours to keep. Furthermore, even if you do continue, you can still
>cancel whenever you like. _There's_never_an_obligation_or_commitment_
>_to_continue_.

So the month's membership is free iff (if and only if) you decide that you
don't like Prodigy.  If you like Prodigy, they get to ream you for that
month's membership fee.  Interesting. It doesn't sound like that great
an offer.

					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) (02/06/91)

harumph.
	a whole lotta gee whiz.
	not a whole lotta reason anyone who can get 'here' (usenet/internet)
would be interested.

(on top of that, you're out in the cold unless you have an msdos or mac.)
chuck bridgeland---anarchoRepublican
	--don't forget, we surround _them_, not the other way around"
chuck@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu     hire me so I can quit this pit.

peb@Autodesk.COM (Paul Baclaski) (02/06/91)

In the [paraphrased] words of Frank Zappa:

    "Is that a real network, or a Sears network?"

In article <1991Feb5.230021.8317@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:
>	not a whole lotta reason anyone who can get 'here' (usenet/internet)
>would be interested.

Hmm.  Where's the Usenet/Internet encyclopedia (no -- the ability to ask
questions of zillions of experts is not the same thing).  Is there an
online store, stock quote service, airline guide, etc., on Usenet/Internet?

I don't have a Prodigy account because I don't personally happen to need
those things at the moment, but I can appreciate their value.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (02/06/91)

barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <1991Feb5.230021.8317@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:
>>	not a whole lotta reason anyone who can get 'here' (usenet/internet)
>>would be interested.
>Hmm.  Where's the Usenet/Internet encyclopedia (no -- the ability to ask
>questions of zillions of experts is not the same thing).  Is there an
>online store, stock quote service, airline guide, etc., on Usenet/Internet?

Prodigy has some interesting stuff not readily available on the net,
but is limited to computer & arts/entertainment BBSs, it could really
use a sports BBS, message length & content is severly limited, no
programs or gif's to download, a rather idiot user interface, & since
it reaches a wider population than the net, the general flavor of info
is a lot less academic.

On the otherhand, I have met some really interesting electronic pen
pals on Prodigy & there's no one on the net so far with whom I
regularly correspond.

I prefer the net, but will I always have access?  I mean, you just
don't dial in if your next employer doesn't support a new connection
(or your current employer is antagonistic about it)!  Prodigy is a
mediocre alternative, but not without some benefit.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.035111.9270@Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <1991Feb5.230021.8317@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (charles bridgeland) writes:
>>	not a whole lotta reason anyone who can get 'here' (usenet/internet)
>>would be interested.
>
>Hmm.  Where's the Usenet/Internet encyclopedia (no -- the ability to ask
>questions of zillions of experts is not the same thing).  Is there an
>online store, stock quote service, airline guide, etc., on Usenet/Internet?

But why would anyone, especially someone net.aware, spend $12.95 a month to
get those things from Prodigy (at their gawdawfully slow data rate) when
the same things are available from GEnie for only $4.95/month?

--
Scott Coleman                                                      tmkk@uiuc.edu

"Unisys has demonstrated the power of two. That's their stock price today."
       - Scott McNealy on the history of mergers in the computer industry.

wisniewski@fallout.uucp (02/07/91)

>>	not a whole lotta reason anyone who can get 'here' (usenet/internet)
>>would be interested.
>
> Hmm.  Where's the Usenet/Internet encyclopedia (no -- the ability to ask
> questions of zillions of experts is not the same thing).  Is there an
> online store, stock quote service, airline guide, etc., on Usenet/Internet?
>
> I don't have a Prodigy account because I don't personally happen to need
> those things at the moment, but I can appreciate their value.
> --
> Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.
>
> barmar@think.com

Barry,

I have purchased many books with advanced indexes that make up my
personal library.  It's cost exceedes over $700 and it doesn't go
out of date because referance books that I buy are very consistant
and added to as newer books come my way.
(How often does history change after two versions anyways?)

As to online stores, stock quotes, and airline guides:

I use local merchants so if something is wrong with my purchase, I
have a human being to go back an see.  I pay a little more, but
the service is much more than any ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS could
give me.

Ditto on the Stock Broker...

Ditto on the Travel agent and a free, comprehensive airline schedule
I receive when I travel.

Prodigy is just an excuse to use computers and make life's general
tasks more complex than they need to be.

As to Email, BBS style communications, and electronic networking,
these are provided to most of the general public looking for such
access via public or semi public access at minimal costs in most
major cities.  I don't believe that Prodigy has any inbound or
outbound gateway services.. it's an Island.

Service is worth what you pay for it and what you get back from it.

I'll take my almost free UUCP access, my local merchant infrastructure,
and my books (on CDrom and paper) against any $12.95 per month
subscription service that touts to give me same thing.

Games, public domain software, even Dr Demento, Don't be fooled by
cheap imitations, the internet is the real thing...

John Wisniewski
wisniewski@fallout.uucp

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb5.182439.12289@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Conway Yee) writes:

>So the month's membership is free iff (if and only if) you decide that you
>don't like Prodigy.  If you like Prodigy, they get to ream you for that
>month's membership fee.  Interesting. It doesn't sound like that great
>an offer.
>
>					Conway Yee, N2JWQ
>yee@ming.mipg.upenn.edu    (preferred)             231 S. Melville St.
>cy5@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (forwarded to above)    Philadelphia, Pa 19139
>yee@bnlx26.nsls.bnl.gov    (rarely checked)        (215) 386-1312

That's not quite right.  They prebill you for each month, so you would be
charged for your first PAID month's membership.  The first 30 days are free.

As an ex-Prodigy user, here are my thoughts.  The system is one big ad.  That's
fine and dandy.  If it helps keep the cost low, I don't mind looking at ads.
I even bought a few things off of Prodigy.  The problem is that there is
no payoff.  The message bases are terrible.  There is no organization to them
at all.  It's impossible to pick up reading where you left off previously.

Electronic mail?  Hah.  "Mail" implies a right to privacy which you don't have.
They go through most (if not all) letters you send in E-mail.  It takes longer
for someone to send mail on that system than to send mail in Internet.

Educational benefits?  There are none.  Anyone with half a brain doesn't look
in an encyclopedia after grade school.  Teachers hate them, and you can't
possibly write a decent paper using anything from an encyclopedia.

The on-line games are reminiscent of Commodore 64 public domain garbage.
Totally mindless crap.  I've seen BBS doors with better games.

One thing that really ticked me off as an IBM owner is the fact that IBM
supposedly has a hand in the system, but there was nothing on there for
Microchannel.  I have a hard enough time finding MCA stuff, and it would
seem to me that they would at least have an ordering thing on there for
that.

The bottom line:  Prodigy is a money-making opportunity for companies who
advertise on there.  There is no user-oriented anything on there.  The system
is one constant hard-sell.  If the advertising were used to deflect the cost
and make a profit for PrLE at the same time user beneficial
facilities were present, then I owuld have no problem.  Prodigy is more
concerned with how much money they and their businesses on-line can make
than giving the user anything worthile.

On a high-note, the on-line news was quite good.

Louis

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (02/07/91)

I received that free Prodigy kit card in the mail and sent it in.
I received a 3.5 disk and two 5.25 disk and a 30 day password
to use Prodigy.  At the end of the month, I wrote cancel
on the bill.  They sent me one letter asking me to try it again.
I didn't respond, and they never bothered me again.  Then,
two weeks later, I received another free kit card and sent it in.
Sure enough, I got another kit.  Same story again.  So, I got
two 3.5 disks for free as far as I am concerned.

The truly scary thing is that the Prodigy kit is on the top
fifteen software packages being sold for the IBM community.
Are IBM users that green?
--
John  M.  Adams   --***--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu     Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

In article <1991Feb6.185416.20695@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) writes:
>But why would anyone, especially someone net.aware, spend $12.95 a month to
>get those things from Prodigy (at their gawdawfully slow data rate) when
>the same things are available from GEnie for only $4.95/month?

Maybe things have changed since I used GEnie (3 or 4 years ago), but
doesn't GEnie have connect-time charges?  The figure $5/hour springs to
mind, so Prodigy beats GEnie if you would use the latter more than 1.5
hours/month.

Also, Prodigy is specifically aimed at the non-net.aware, who would
probably be put off by the traditional text-based GEnie interface.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Tech News Account) (02/07/91)

The complaint most people have about PRODIGY is NOT the services it offers,
but the actions they've taken:

(all of this is secondhand, but somewhat reliable)

From what I heard, PRODIGY removed a "alternate lifestyles" message section
because some fundie complained that homosexuality was immoral and a sin
against god...

The REAL interesting part is how prodigy is ALLEGED to have responded to
complaints about this action...

supposedly, they read people's private E-mail, and threatened to suspend the
access of the people who were behind the complaints about the deletion.

Anybody have proven FACTS about this stuff?

Personally, I don't like PRODIGY, because unlike every other publically
accessible network in the civilized world, they refuse to be interlinked with
the others... Bitnet,compuserve,Genie- Prodigy alone is snobbish.

                        My employer disagrees.

cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) (02/07/91)

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) writes:

> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
> >In article <1991Feb5.230021.8317@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> chuck@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (c
> >>	not a whole lotta reason anyone who can get 'here' (usenet/internet)
> >>would be interested.
> >Hmm.  Where's the Usenet/Internet encyclopedia (no -- the ability to ask
> >questions of zillions of experts is not the same thing).  Is there an
> >online store, stock quote service, airline guide, etc., on Usenet/Internet?
>
> I prefer the net, but will I always have access?  I mean, you just
> don't dial in if your next employer doesn't support a new connection
> (or your current employer is antagonistic about it)!  Prodigy is a
> mediocre alternative, but not without some benefit.

If you're worried about not always having net access and want some sort of
place to go with your postings, email, and other stuff, why not try
Compu$erve?  CompuServe is the world's largest on-line service.  It has
everything Prodigy could have to offer and more (and you don't need to
have an MS-DOS or Mac to get on).  Besides that, CompuServe doesn't charge
EXTRA, EXTRA, EXTRA for email!  Sure, there are surcharges and stuff, but
the system tells you when you're about to do something that costs extra
(by marking a "$" before the option).  CompuServe makes Prodigy look
weenie.

Prodigy!  Humbug!

| C. Matthew Curtin             ! "This is a strange game.  The only way to   |
| P.O. Box 27081                ! win is not to play."  -Joshua               |
| Columbus, OH 43227-0081       !---------------------------------------------|
| cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp _______!______________Apple_II_Forever!______________|

randolph@office.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (02/08/91)

Louis Giliberto writes that Prodigy is one big ad, that there is no
e-mail privacy, and Prodigy's news service is good.

You know what this is?  TV without the pictures and sound!  Ugh, ack,
phew.

   nd t
 ou    ui
R Press  T  __Randolph Fritz  sun!cognito.eng!randolph || randolph@eng.sun.com
 ou    ui     Mountain View, California, North America, Earth
   nd t

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb6.234512.15712@Think.COM> barmar@think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:

>Maybe things have changed since I used GEnie (3 or 4 years ago), but
>doesn't GEnie have connect-time charges?

Indeed they have. GEnie now charges a FLAT RATE $4.95/month for non-prime
time access to their "star services" (a subset of their complete offering).
For other things, non-prime access is (I believe) $6/hr. I tried Prodigy under
their special trial offer, and cancelled it after loggin in a total of three
times (the last time was merely to show someone else how lame it was). I don't
subscribe to GEnie, but those I know who do subscribe agree that GEnie is a
MUCH better deal than Prodigy for everyone (with the possible exception of
rank beginner technophobes who can't figure out how to use Procomm PLUS).

--
Scott Coleman                                                      tmkk@uiuc.edu

"Unisys has demonstrated the power of two. That's their stock price today."
       - Scott McNealy on the history of mergers in the computer industry.

graff@mlpvm2.iinus1.ibm.com (Michael Graff) (02/08/91)

(My first posting seems to be lost in the net.  Sorry if this is a
duplicate.)

louisg@vpnet.chi.il.us (Louis Giliberto) writes:

> Electronic mail?  Hah.  "Mail" implies a right to privacy which you don't have.
> They go through most (if not all) letters you send in E-mail.  It takes longer
> for someone to send mail on that system than to send mail in Internet.

This is absolutely, unequivocally false.  You're confusing email with
the public message boards.  Many of the message boards are
"previewed", so some messages are rejected, and all messages are
delayed.  (I won't get into whether this previewing is good or evil
since it's been widely discussed elsewhere already.)

But private email sent directly to another subscriber is strictly
private, just like any other email service.

...Michael

drdave@buhub.bradley.edu (David L. Vessell) (02/08/91)

In <T42Zw2w163w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:

>If you're worried about not always having net access and want some sort of
>place to go with your postings, email, and other stuff, why not try
>Compu$erve?  CompuServe is the world's largest on-line service.  It has
>everything Prodigy could have to offer and more (and you don't need to
>have an MS-DOS or Mac to get on).  Besides that, CompuServe doesn't charge
>EXTRA, EXTRA, EXTRA for email!  Sure, there are surcharges and stuff, but
>the system tells you when you're about to do something that costs extra
>(by marking a "$" before the option).  CompuServe makes Prodigy look
>weenie.

Some of us don't have the cash to pay $7.00 an hour....

Who knows anything about GEnie?  Is it any good?  Does it have an Internet
link?
**dR.Dave**            ....making the world safe for intelligent dance music.
  David L. Vessell   Bradley Univ.  Peoria, IL   drdave@buhub.bradley.edu
           "Is there any escape....from noise?" --Negativland

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (02/09/91)

>Some of us don't have the cash to pay $7.00 an hour....
>
>Who knows anything about GEnie?  Is it any good?  Does it have an Internet
>link?

WARNING: PLUG ALERT...but since someone asked...

The World (world.std.com), a public access unix system (Sun4/280),
charges either $5/mo + $2/hr or $20/20-hrs (20/20 includes monthly,
paid in advance) for e-mail (internet, most anywhere), USENET (about
2000 groups), alternet access (ftp, irc, etc.)

	617-739-WRLD (9600/2400/1200), login as "new"

Also available throughout the US via compuserve's packet net, addt'l
$5/hr, create an acct and type "help compuserve".

END PLUG ALERT

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs@world.std.com          | uunet!world!bzs

gardner@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Mike Gardner) (02/09/91)

drdave@buhub.bradley.edu (David L. Vessell) writes:

>Some of us don't have the cash to pay $7.00 an hour....

>Who knows anything about GEnie?  Is it any good?  Does it have an Internet
>link?
>--
Does anyone have a local phone number list? i.e. what Cities can you make a
local call?
mgg

jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb11.061828.20234@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

   In article <T42Zw2w163w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:
   >have an MS-DOS or Mac to get on).  Besides that, CompuServe doesn't charge
   >EXTRA, EXTRA, EXTRA for email!  Sure, there are surcharges and stuff, but

   This is unfair to Prodigy.   Compuserve charges more than $12.50 per hour
   for any usable baud rate (if you call 1200 or 2400 usable) and so a mail
   message that takes 2 minutes to write costs over 40 cents (compared to
   Prodigy's 25 cents after the first 30 messages) to write and also costs
   money to read, perhaps around 8 to 10 cents if you deal with it in under
   30 seconds.

   Face it folks, 25 cents per e-mail message with 30 included in the
   price is actually a good deal when compared to past e-mail pricing
   trends.    Some new trends, including GEnie's unlimited e-mail (but no
   mailing lists) for $4.95/month, are better deals, and many here are used
   to the unusual deal of usenet/internet mail, but I am a bit surprised at
   the bad press Prodigy's gotten on this price change.

Face it folks, 25 cents per e-mail message is less than the price of
a stamp.  The chance of timely delivery is similar.

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb11.061828.20234@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>This is unfair to Prodigy.   Compuserve charges more than $12.50 per hour
>for any usable baud rate (if you call 1200 or 2400 usable) and so a mail
>message that takes 2 minutes to write costs over 40 cents (compared to
>Prodigy's 25 cents after the first 30 messages) to write and also costs
>money to read, perhaps around 8 to 10 cents if you deal with it in under
>30 seconds.

The two services are not comparable.  You are required to type messages online
with Prodigy.  You are limited to 4 "pages" of 40 column text.  With CompuServe,
you can use any number of telecomm packages to automate your sessions, including
software provided by CompuServe.  The speed of sending an receiving mail is
limited only by your modem speed.

I use both regularly.  The only reason I use Prodigy is that I have friends who
use it and it isn't connected to any other service.  To write that "2 minute"
message, I generally have to waste more of _my_ time waiting for the brain-dead
Prodigy software to trudge over to e-mail.

I find Prodigy's censorship offensive and their marketing misleading in the
extreme.  I've offered my time to friends to show them show to use other
services rather than see them waste $13 a month.

burley@geech.ai.mit.edu (Craig Burley) (02/11/91)

[...]

I used to have Prodigy and like it (limitations notwithstanding), but I
canceled it because of the email fee fiasco.  Here are some points that
might help people understand the bad press they got:

1)  They did everything they could to avoid letting people know about this
    new service charge on a supposedly (and advertised as such) "flat rate"
    system -- and I'm told they've received some stiff fines for this
    kind of stuff.  For example, I didn't know anything about the impending
    email charges until somebody sent me email about it!  Meanwhile, they
    were trying their best to lock in people to 6-mo/12-mo/24-mo deals
    by raising their monthly rates.  The new rates, something like $13,
    a $4 increase, were perfectly reasonable, in my opinion; and if I hadn't
    gotten the email, I might well have taken the 24-mo option at, effectively,
    some $8-9 a month.  And then been locked in, without necessarily knowing
    about it, to a $.25 fee for each email beyond 30 per month PER
    HOUSEHOLD (yes, children's and spouse's emails included in the count!).

    The information on the increase was there, of course, some 5 or more
    menu levels deep -- if you wanted "New EMAIL features" described, or
    whatever they called it.  They never, to my knowledge, sent everyone
    email saying simply "starting in January 1991, here are new charges
    we're instituting for sending email".

    The term for their actions is "bait and switch", albeit on a different
    time scale than usually suggested by the term.  Note that their TV ads,
    after I knew about the upcoming email surcharge, continued to state
    explicitly or implicitly that the service was "flat rate", as did
    glossy advertising stuff I continued to receive from them.

2)  The reason they instituted email charges, they later explained (after
    getting lots of bad press for trying to hide the new charges), was
    because a "few people" were using huge distribution lists and sending
    lots of mail.  This happened for two reasons: a) the distribution lists
    and quantity of mail went up hugely when the new rates were discovered,
    of course, which might explain why their explanation lagged the
    decision to increase; b) they censor ALL their bulletin boards, and to
    such an extent that getting something actually posted is something
    worthy of treating yourself to a night on the town -- they rarely
    explain why they did it, and when you get the email saying your post
    was rejected along with the original post, there is no way to edit
    it and repost.  You gotta retype the whole thing.  Because of this,
    groups of people who wanted to freely converse (not just in the
    "alt" newsfeed sense, but in the "talk" or "rec" sense, largely
    missing in Prodigy bulletin boards) simply found each other in the
    bulletin boards and put each other on ever-larger mailing lists.

    For example, if there was one discussion on computers, and another
    on music, you likely wouldn't succeed posting a bulletin talking about
    both discussions and how computers and music interrelate -- both
    censors would reject the entire post because some of the material
    was inapplicable to the discussion at hand.

    The upshot is that by censoring posts and not providing easy ways
    to communicate effectively with lots of people with whom you've
    already established contact and common interests, they forced most
    anyone who used Prodigy heavily to use mailing lists and email
    heavily.  Needless to say, these people nearly live on Prodigy, and
    suddenly being told their activities were going to cost them in
    the neighborhood of $40-50 a month (for example) upset them when
    they'd committed so much time and made so many friends on this
    "flat-rate service".

3)  $.25 per Prodigy email message is absurd.  Each message is limited
    to four screens of 12 lines x 40 characters per line.  No graphics.
    No ability to have text pulled in from a file (so forget about
    encoding graphics and such unless you are willing to type it all in).
    And, unlike USMail, since the recipients aren't necessarily going to
    be using the machine every day, delivery is actually less reliable.
    Further, unlike USMail, if you move (as in change services), your
    mail doesn't get forwarded to you -- for example, if you start using
    Internet a lot, Prodigy doesn't forward your mail to it or any other
    net.  If you're going to charge for email at a price similar to the
    US Postal service, you'd better provide for email features roughly
    equivalent to USPS matter-mail features, and Prodigy ain't even
    close.  Internet mail is far better, and I don't think it's worth
    even $.05 per send, despite the flaky time-of-delivery, the
    insecurity (Prodigy has, I think, inherently more secure email
    delivery, by the way), and the lack of ease-of-use offered by USPS
    (sort of) and Prodigy.

    Despite this, if Prodigy had been up front about the decision, and
    not nasty to people who complained about it, I would have stuck with
    the service, at least long enough to see if they changed the
    rates to a more reasonable, say, $.03 per email beyond 100 per
    household per month.  If Prodigy had allowed inclusion of graphics,
    music, whatever, even if by simplying allowing significantly longer
    messages and input/output directly to your own system's files (so
    compressed MIDI files, for example, could be sent), I'd have been
    willing to pay $.08 per email beyond 100/house/month OR beyond
    2K characters in length.

4)  When people started complaining and sending email about the upcoming
    email charges, Prodigy responded in many cases by summarily canceling
    people's accounts.  They've gotten into legal trouble over this, too,
    I've heard.

5)  By raising monthly rates (ok), offering new long-term
    commitments at lower rates (ok too), and instituting email charges
    "in secret" (not ok, especially when combined with the previous two
    things), they showed what might happen in the future:

    Say you decide you don't care about email rates, because you and your
    family members don't send more than one message per day.  But you
    like the online encyclopedia.  You pay for a month at a time, then
    6 months from now, at which point your kids are fairly dependent on
    the online encyclopedia, you get an offer -- "we're raising our
    monthly rates $2 per month, but commit for 12 months and you'll get
    the same low rate you're now getting" -- a reasonable one, and you
    sign up.

    A month later, you get a bill for $30 -- not including the monthly
    rate which you prepaid for 12 months.  What's the $30 for?  Well,
    seems they decided too many people were accessing the online
    encyclopedia, so they instituted a new charge -- $1 per access
    beyond the first 5 accesses per household.  And, unbeknownst to you
    and your family, your kids ran up sizable charges by continuing to
    use the encyclopedia.

    So, you call Prodigy in a huff and ask why you weren't told about it.
    "Well, if you had looked under the menu item 'About Prodigy', selected
    menu item 'New Features', looked under 'New Graphics for Encyclopedia',
    and then selected 'Changes in Pricing', you'd have seen the info."
    You claim you didn't know to do this, and the response is "Did you look
    at the 'New' screen that keeps you informed as to what's going on?
    You should be doing that, and it had an item on these changes."  You
    go look, and find an entry "Prodigy has improved its On-line Encyclopedia
    by adding more graphics in entries -- see 'About Prodigy' for more
    info" and realize you wouldn't have looked even if you'd seen that
    blurb.

    You then are told that the agreement you signed either had fine print
    mentioning the new service charge or didn't guarantee a flat rate
    throughout the term of the agreement.

    And that if you cancel, you might (or might not) be refunded for unused
    time, but not for encyclopedia accesses already made.

    Based on the email fiasco, I see no reason why Prodigy wouldn't be
    capable (and willing) to perpetrate the above scenario.

Yes, the flat rate was great, and some of the features were decent, and,
the main reason I liked it, it was EASY TO USE -- as a hacker, that isn't
personally important, but as many of my friends and family are NOT
hackers, and I didn't have the heart to expect them to use Compu$erve
or others (which I know little about, honestly), that meant a lot to me.
And my wife could use it without asking many questions (her experience
with a little BASIC programming, using and making spreadsheets, and
with some WP programs, helped, of course).

And I have yet to get at all excited about trying Compu$erve.  I have a
problem paying connect-time rates on any system where I can't easily
control speed of access (as a ~60-75 wpm typist and a fast reader of
scrolling text, it's important to have a system that can keep up) and
where they charge you MORE for using a higher baud rate!

The relatives of mine who told me they were on Prodigy and convinced me to
get it have stopped doing email on it, and have taken to using GEnie*Star,
and I'm hoping to get some time to try it out -- but it's limited-time-access
at the (more than affordable) flat rate.

I really would have loved staying on Prodigy.  It had its problems, but this
email thing was much more than the final straw.  It was the tree that fell
and broke the camel's back!
--

James Craig Burley, Software Craftsperson    burley@ai.mit.edu

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (02/11/91)

From: jmc@DEC-Lite.Stanford.EDU (John McCarthy)
>Face it folks, 25 cents per e-mail message is less than the price of
>a stamp.  The chance of timely delivery is similar.

And when was the last time you wrote a letter, stuffed it an envelope
and put a stamp on it to convey one sentence like the above?

Face it folks, there's some large differences between e-mail and
postal mail. It lies somewhere between telephony and postal service,
closer to telephony in its informality. And flat rates are a big
feature in telephony (for non-business users.)

There's a very difficult economic question buried in here that's being
glossed over. For example, due to the automatic and non-physical
nature of the medium (e-mail), the nominal cost of carrying one more
message is almost nil (for modern networking, let's skip the historic
relic of modem delivery.) Put another way, an idle line-minute can
never be recovered.

--

U23379@uicvm.uic.edu (Henry Young) (02/12/91)

>  This is unfair to Prodigy.   Compuserve charges more than $12.50 per hour
>  for any usable baud rate (if you call 1200 or 2400 usable) and so a mail
>  message that takes 2 minutes to write costs over 40 cents (compared to
>  Prodigy's 25 cents after the first 30 messages) to write and also costs
>  money to read, perhaps around 8 to 10 cents if you deal with it in under
>  30 seconds.
>
>  Face it folks, 25 cents per e-mail message with 30 included in the
>  price is actually a good deal when compared to past e-mail pricing
>  trends.    Some new trends, including GEnie's unlimited e-mail (but no
>  mailing lists) for $4.95/month, are better deals, and many here are used
>  to the unusual deal of usenet/internet mail, but I am a bit surprised at
>  the bad press Prodigy's gotten on this price change.
>! Face it folks, 25 cents per e-mail message is less than the price of
>! a stamp.  The chance of timely delivery is similar.

oh?  I don't recall having to pay for every piece of mail I receive!
Besides I could write my note on my pc, upload it, and send it easy enough...

I was considering trying prodigy, but if they censure, forget it.  If they were
a foreign based service, I could see them getting away with it.  But This
is the US of A!  As long as they censure (except the most extremely obnoxious
users who abuse it), they should be avoided.  Likewise if some jerk were to
send me (or anyone) 10000+ notes, the receivers shouldn't be subject to
paying for unsolicited mail!  I don't use compuserve because they are
expensive, but I would rather pay a higher upkeep for fair service....

   Hum, They would probably be liable to lawsuits for this, especially if they
still charge someone for sending a note that gets "CANNED"!

Well, I've said my piece.

                         - Henry Young -

tomr@dbase.A-T.COM (Tom Rombouts) (02/12/91)

In article <7569.27addc02@zeus.unomaha.edu> jsaker@zeus.unomaha.edu (Jamie Saker) writes:
>This afternoon, I received an "entertaining" form letter in my U.S. Mailbox
>from Fred Larson, Vice President of Prodigy Services Company.
>Because of the discussions in various newsgroups about PRODIGY, I
>thought I'd post the letter and hear what others have to say about
>it.  I'd be especially interested in hearing PRODIGY user's and
>ex-user's comments.

    [ incredibly hyped introductory offer letter deleted ]

Despite what the letter stated, to "really see what Prodigy is",
read some of the recent articles in the computer press about people
having their accounts terminated for daring to protest sudden
changes in the Prodigy e-mail rules.  Compared to USENET, BIX or
GEnie, Prodigy is a (somewhat scary) joke.  IMHO, Prodigy is to
on-line services as McDonald's is to restaurants or USA Today is
to newspapers.

There have been many times when IBM has been unjustly criticized,
but the outcry over their recent Prodigy actions is _not_ one of
those times.  To get even higher on my soapbox, Prodigy has more in
common with The Home Shopping Club than it does with USENET or
Compu$Serve.

Tom Rombouts  Torrance 'Tater  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/12/91)

>In article <1991Feb11.061828.20234@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>   Face it folks, 25 cents per e-mail message with 30 included in the
>   price is actually a good deal when compared to past e-mail pricing
>   trends.    Some new trends, including GEnie's unlimited e-mail (but no
>   mailing lists) for $4.95/month, are better deals, and many here are used
>   to the unusual deal of usenet/internet mail, but I am a bit surprised at
>   the bad press Prodigy's gotten on this price change.

But it begs the question a bit.  They didn't want anyone posting anything
but the blandest stuff in the public forums.  Use mailing lists, they said.
Then the new pricing policy effectively prohibits mailing lists.

My biggest impression of Prodigy from my free month was how little of
the text of the messages/articles/etc were shown on the screen once
the room for the ever-changing-ad-at-the-bottom was taken, plus other
areas, plus the big, clunky font they used to display it as.  It was
around 16X40, as I recall.

Oh yeah, in an earlier posting Brad mentioned stuff Prodigy could do that
Usenet can't.  You can order groceries, for example.  I was sold by that
one.  For only seven dollars they'd pull my order off the shelves, bag it
and drive it out to me.  But it turned out that you were paying full list
price for everything, like Diet Cokes were $2.69 a six pack, instead of the
$1.50 typically at Kroger's.  And I sure all of my fellow Diet Coke-swilling
programmers out there can see that there's just no way you can justify that
extra $40-50 a month just to get your Cokes delivered...

Oh yeah, one more thing.  Another Prodigy special, "Free Film."  Scrolling
by in the advertising area of your screen, something like "Get two rolls
of film for free!  Press [QUERY] now!"  "Hey great," you say, "free film."
You drive through a bunch of steps, then at the end it displays a little
invoice:
	Film			$0.00
	Shipping and Handling	$4.00

Press [NEXT] to complete your order!
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl

In article <BURLEY.91Feb11102932@geech.ai.mit.edu> burley@geech.ai.mit.edu (Craig Burley) writes:
>3)  $.25 per Prodigy email message is absurd.  Each message is limited

It isn't quite so absurd if you know how Prodigy is implemented.  My
understanding is that it is replicated database with a tree structured
hierarchy for passing on the changes.  In other words, if I send you
a mail message in California, that mail message also gets duplicated
at every other site in the country (since you can dial in anywhere).
That makes the mail traffic costs *horrendous* for mailing lists.
A bad design decision perhaps, but one they have to pay for nonetheless.
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.		|	Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com		|	Send Anything... Anywhere

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

dougs@baldwin.WV.TEK.COM (Doug Schwartz;685-2700;61-252;641-4115;Baldwin) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb11.061828.20234@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <T42Zw2w163w@bluemoon.uucp> cmcurtin@bluemoon.uucp (Matthew Curtin) writes:
>This is unfair to Prodigy.   Compuserve charges more than $12.50 per hour
>the bad press Prodigy's gotten on this price change.

Perhaps it's Prodigy's habit of cancelling the accounts of users who protest
their new pricing strategy that has many up in arms.
--
        Doug Schwartz           dougs@orca.wv.tek.com
        Tektronix

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (02/13/91)

In article <91042.101105U23379@uicvm.uic.edu> U23379@uicvm.uic.edu (Henry Young) writes:
>oh?  I don't recall having to pay for every piece of mail I receive!
>Besides I could write my note on my pc, upload it, and send it easy enough...
>
>I was considering trying prodigy, but if they censure, forget it.  If they were
                                               ~~~~~~~
>a foreign based service, I could see them getting away with it.  But This
>is the US of A!  As long as they censure (except the most extremely obnoxious
			          ~~~~~~~
>users who abuse it), they should be avoided.  Likewise if some jerk were to
>send me (or anyone) 10000+ notes, the receivers shouldn't be subject to
>paying for unsolicited mail!  I don't use compuserve because they are
>expensive, but I would rather pay a higher upkeep for fair service....
>
>   Hum, They would probably be liable to lawsuits for this, especially if they
>still charge someone for sending a note that gets "CANNED"!
>
>Well, I've said my piece.
>
>                         - Henry Young -
	I think when you say censure you mean censor. . .

(Merriam Webster 1974 says:)
1cen - sure \'sen-ch@r\ n 1. The act of blaming or condeming sternly 2. an
	official reprimand.

2censure vb cen - sured : cen - suring to find fault with and criticize
	as blame worthy.

1cen - sor \'sen-s@r\ n 1: one of two early Roman Magistrates whose duties
	included taking the census. 2: an official who inspects printed
	matter or sometimes motion pictures with power to suppress anything
	objectionable.

2censor vb to subject to censorship

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM

The problem is that discussion of whether Prodigy is a good deal or not
isn't truly germane to this forum.  If you think Prodigy is a bad deal,
do not subscribe.   It really is as simple as that.    That Prodigy
heavily controls message content is not censorship!  Prodigy considers
that a feature -- they spend a great deal of money paying people to do
it.   It is no more censorship than it is censorship for the letters page
editor of the New York Times to select and trim letters for publication
on that page.    If you consider this a *bad* feature, then don't subscribe.

If Prodigy misrepresented the e-mail charge, or misrepresented anything else
about its service, that's something germane to the EFF, although
misrepresentation of charges is plain ordinary consumer law, and nothing
particularly new takes place.

There is a spectrum of discussions that can exist online, ranging from
alt.sex to completely edited publications.   Some people like the complete
post-anything world of an alt group, but some people *hate* it.   I happen
to like things about the whole range, enjoying alt groups, comp groups and
moderated groups like comp.risks and rec.humor.funny (:-).

It is no sin to try to create anything along this spectrum if you are honest
about it.  Prodigy has been mostly honest, but they have had their faults
in this.   When I talk to online world Gurus, I find they have no confusion
about what Prodigy was offering.   So Prodigy clearly did get the message out
about what they are, but also it clearly did not get understood by some users.
I am not sure who to blame for that.

Prodigy should have the freedom to set up whatever service they wish, and
the EFF should work to give them that freedom.  Let the users decide if the
service is worth anything.

wcs) (02/13/91)

In article <44013@ut-emx.uucp> awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:
> The two services are not comparable.
> You are required to type messages online with Prodigy.
> You are limited to 4 "pages" of 40 column text.

I've seen Prodigy's stupid small screens, but does your contract
with them REQUIRE you to use their terminal emulator?

Could some enterprising hacker write an interface that at least
gives you a human-readable screen and text upload/download
using their protocols, or do they forbid that because you might turn
off the advertising?
Alternatively, could you use their tools in a Windows window
with some sort of cut+paste TSR pretending to be you typing?

Has anyone asked them to permit upgrades, even "censored" ones?
--
				Pray for peace;
					Bill

randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (02/13/91)

Newsgroups: comp.misc,comp.org.eff.talk,alt.censorship
Subject: Re: Prodigy Special Offer hits my mailbox...
Brad, I respect your experience in this area, but -- you're wrong,
wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
There, got that out.

Part of what we're working out here is exactly what censorship means
in the context of cyberspace.  And we still don't know.  So it's too
early to say whether or not Prodigy is "censoring" -- we haven't
worked out what censorship means here.

From what I have read here, Prodigy appears to have hidden policies in
addition to their stated policies.  The hidden policies seem to
involve control of user message content for Prodigy's commerical
goals.  If you don't like P's policies, and say so on their net, they
cut you off outright, if you use a service in a way P doesn't intend
they raise the price, and so on.

It's difficult for me to seriously defend these practices; in other
electronic media they have been outlawed in the USA.  Without those
laws, our telephone companies would strictly control what equipment is
connected to the public telephone network (Carterfone decision).  As
with any public business, a commericial BBS has responsibilities to
the public; just what those responsibilities are, and if they should
be defended by law is not yet clear.

It does seem clear to me that controlling message content on is
anti-competitive -- after all, Prodigy was stifling criticism of their
business practices by denying accounts.  Content controls have at
least the potential for becoming political censorship as well.  One
need only look at US television to realize that there is very definite
censorship on the part of advertisers.  I really have very little
patience with this; do we really want our BBS's turned into another
vast wasteland?

If you want to debate this on the grounds of libertarian property
rights theory, I would appreciate it if you pointed followups to
talk.politics.theory, where I expect no resolution.  Other than that,
I hope we get lots of intelligent comments.

russell@spdcc.COM (Tim Russell) (02/13/91)

wcs@cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:
>I've seen Prodigy's stupid small screens, but does your contract
>with them REQUIRE you to use their terminal emulator?
>
>Could some enterprising hacker write an interface that at least
>gives you a human-readable screen and text upload/download
>using their protocols, or do they forbid that because you might turn
>off the advertising?

    It's been done.  Look in <MSDOS.PRODIGY> on Simtel.  It's called
PRODHP13.ZIP, and makes Prodigy much more bearable to work with.
It allows upload of messages, a signature file, "printing" to a disk
file, gets rid of all those formfeeds in the printing, etc.

    Evidently Prodigy doesn't mind it, because they allow discussion
about it on the "About Prodigy" board.  I was really surprised at that,
since the software allows the user to print to a file, thus circumventing
their selective enabling of printing.

--
____
\TR/   Tim Russell

pwb@newt.phys.unsw.OZ.AU (Paul W. Brooks) (02/13/91)

Just a short note to all those debating Prodigy, and a few other topics:

As I assume Prodigy is just a U.S. based net, why does the rest of the
world have to sift through it? May I ask people to *not* just use
distribution: world as the default, but think whether anyone outside the
U.S. needs to carry all this stuff, and set distribution to 'us'?

This occurs quite often with country-specific messages.
Regards,
Paul Brooks        |   Internet: pwb@newt.phys.unsw.edu.au
School of Physics  |
Uni. of N.S.W.     |   If you have trouble sleeping, try lying on the end of

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.030202.9781@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:

>Oh yeah, in an earlier posting Brad mentioned stuff Prodigy could do that
>Usenet can't.  You can order groceries, for example.  I was sold by that
>one.  For only seven dollars they'd pull my order off the shelves, bag it
>and drive it out to me.  But it turned out that you were paying full list
>price for everything,

And, just to tie in a thread from misc.consumers, just think of all the
information about your buying habits Prodigy is collecting, storing, and then
selling to the highest bidder. And to think, they charge you a PREMIUM to
do so! From Prodigy's perspective, "What a Bargain!"

--

In article <7909@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) writes:
>Part of what we're working out here is exactly what censorship means
>in the context of cyberspace.  And we still don't know.  So it's too
>early to say whether or not Prodigy is "censoring" -- we haven't
>worked out what censorship means here.

Nor will we ever, since it's not really an issue here.  It depends on
your definition of censorship.  By mine, it is impossible for Prodigy
practice censorship, since that is the province of the government or
organized crime.   By your definition, it is censorship if somebody refuses
to let you use their property to express your opinions.  The two definitions
will have trouble meeting.

>From what I have read here, Prodigy appears to have hidden policies in
>addition to their stated policies.

Hidden only in the sense that they don't advertise them.  Everybody involved
in the online biz is pretty aware of what they are.

>It's difficult for me to seriously defend these practices; in other
>electronic media they have been outlawed in the USA.  Without those
>laws, our telephone companies would strictly control what equipment is
>connected to the public telephone network (Carterfone decision).  As

Prodigy is not a government approved monopoly, nor indeed a monopoly of
any kind.  At the rate it is losing money, (revenues estimate $55 million,
expenses well over $100 million) it may not be anything in the near future.

>with any public business, a commericial BBS has responsibilities to
>the public; just what those responsibilities are, and if they should
>be defended by law is not yet clear.

That is an interesting issue.  But Prodigy is not trying to be a BBS.
That's the source of all this problem.   I guess I sympathise with them
because in a sense every Prodigy discussion area is like rec.humor.funny.
I edit that newsgroup and have defined its editorial policy.  And I have
refused, rather adamantly in the past as some of you know, to allow
anybody else to dictate that editorial policy to me.

Likewise Prodigy, which is not trying to be a BBS, has an editorial policy,
and it's entirely up to their management what that should be.

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb11.061828.20234@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

>Prodigy's 25 cents after the first 30 messages) to write and also costs
>money to read, perhaps around 8 to 10 cents if you deal with it in under
>30 seconds.

30 seconds?  Give me a break.  It takes at least two minutes to get
past all the damn advertisements to get to mail.

>Face it folks, 25 cents per e-mail message with 30 included in the
>price is actually a good deal when compared to past e-mail pricing
>trends.    Some new trends, including GEnie's unlimited e-mail (but no
>mailing lists) for $4.95/month, are better deals, and many here are used
>to the unusual deal of usenet/internet mail, but I am a bit surprised at
>the bad press Prodigy's gotten on this price change.

You mean you like Prodigy?  I feel truly sorry for you.  I'd hate
to pay all that money for advertisements...hence I don't.  You
are right.  Genie is an *EXCELLENT* deal.
--

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb13.204146.20712@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

>In article <7909@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> randolph@cognito.Eng.Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) writes:
>>Part of what we're working out here is exactly what censorship means
>>in the context of cyberspace.  And we still don't know.
>
>Nor will we ever, since it's not really an issue here.  It depends on
>your definition of censorship.  By mine, it is impossible for Prodigy
>practice censorship, since that is the province of the government or
>organized crime.   By your definition, it is censorship if somebody refuses
>to let you use their property to express your opinions.  The two definitions
>will have trouble meeting.

That's an interesting definition you have there. Tell me, what do you call
the team of people whose job it is to bleep out the dirty words on Johnny
Carson? NBC refers to them as "censors" - what do you call them? Or are you
saying that NBC is organized crime? ;-)

--

zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Sameer Parekh) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb12.230101.17787@cbnewsh.att.com> wcs@cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:
>In article <44013@ut-emx.uucp> awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) writes:
>> The two services are not comparable.
>> You are required to type messages online with Prodigy.
>> You are limited to 4 "pages" of 40 column text.
>
>I've seen Prodigy's stupid small screens, but does your contract
>with them REQUIRE you to use their terminal emulator?
>
>Could some enterprising hacker write an interface that at least
>gives you a human-readable screen and text upload/download
>using their protocols, or do they forbid that because you might turn
>off the advertising?
>Alternatively, could you use their tools in a Windows window
>with some sort of cut+paste TSR pretending to be you typing?
>
>Has anyone asked them to permit upgrades, even "censored" ones?
	I doubt it.  They probably have checks that would be nearly
impossible to duplicate, but it can be tried. . .(But they may revoke
your subscription if you do that. . .oh. no.)

--
zane@ddsw1.MCS.COM