[comp.misc] Jargon file by Anonymous FTP

aem@aber-cs.UUCP (Alec D.E. Muffett) (03/03/91)

Hi - has anyone put the latest JARGON file up for anonymous FTP anywhere?

I can't get hold of it via news because our sites' CS department only
takes sci.* comp.* bit.* and a couple of others, for space reasons.
Hence I missed the postings to misc.misc/alt.f.c and I haven't seen it
since it it was last posted to comp.misc (in January).

This is doubly annoying since I submitted qute a bit of stuff (including
the TUNAFISH joke) and wanted to see if it had gotten in.

Can anyone help (pretty please ? 8) )

alec
--
JANET: aem@uk.ac.aber           INET:   aem@cs.aber.ac.uk or aem@aber.ac.uk
UUCP:  *!mcsun!ukc!aber!aem   BITNET:   aem%aber@ukacrl

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/06/91)

In article <2332@aber-cs.UUCP> aem@aber-cs.UUCP (Alec D.E. Muffett) writes:

>Hi - has anyone put the latest JARGON file up for anonymous FTP anywhere?

Hmmm.  Nobody answered this in 3 days.  I would think that it's of general
interest.  Here is the answer (as found in the comp.unix.questions FAQ):

    [much deleted]
    You can still find [the pronunciation guide] as part of the
    widely-distributed "Jargon" file (maintained by Eric S. Raymond,
    eric@snark.thyrsus.com) which seems like a much more appropriate
    forum for the topic of "How do you pronounce  /* ?"

    If you'd like a copy, you can ftp one from iuvax.cs.indiana.edu,
    (129.79.254.192), it's "pub/Pronunciation-Guide".

I have to disclaim any responsibility for lost time/sleep/etc due to
time spent browsing this file... :-)  (It's >500k)

--
		Dave Schaumann		dave@cs.arizona.edu
'Dog Gang'!  Where do they get off calling us the 'Dog Gang'?  I'm beginning to

In article <1040@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
>In article <2332@aber-cs.UUCP> aem@aber-cs.UUCP (Alec D.E. Muffett) writes:
>>Hi - has anyone put the latest JARGON file up for anonymous FTP anywhere?
>
>    If you'd like a copy, you can ftp one from iuvax.cs.indiana.edu,
>    (129.79.254.192), it's "pub/Pronunciation-Guide".

My apologies.  This is, in fact *only* the pronunciation guide.  The full
500K jargon file may be found at isca.icaen.uiowa.edu in /humor/jargon.

--
Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!