[comp.misc] telnet list?

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar12.045642.6999@csn.org> sullivan@csn.csn.org (Steve Sullivan) writes:

   Is there a list of sites accepting telnet, showing
   the information they provide?  For example, rumor
   has it that various library card catalogs are available
   via telnet ... where?

Sadly enough there is no "libraries and librarians" newsgroup, those
folks all seem to be off on mailing lists somewhere.  I happen to know
that there are at least two of these listings.  Further discussion
should probably go to comp.misc, or if you get it look at PACS-L
(Public Access Computer Systems Forum), join it with a message to
LISTSERV@UHUPVM1.BITNET.

If you look at
	wuarchive.wustl.edu:/usenet/comp.archives/Index
you'll see a nice big list of the headers of all of the comp.archives
articles that they have stored there.  Grepping through that list for
"library", I find this that looks reasonable

comp.archives 900810.02 [bit.listserv.pacs-l] New Release of Internet Library List
comp.archives 901119.08 [comp.misc...] Internet library guide - additions requested
comp.archives 901203.22 [tcp-ip...] New release of Internet library guide
comp.archives 910223.10 [comp.misc...] Internet Library Guide

you can find the actual articles stored in that collection.

In the absence of any other clues, you should look in archie; I'm
pretty sure that the gentleman from MIT has described it recently, but
the short answer is "telnet quiche.cs.mcgill.ca; login: archie".
There are a lot of things that match "library", including for a start

	ariel.unm.edu:/library/internet.library
	ucdavis.ucdavis.edu:/pub/Internet.Resource.Guide/library_cat/

it should prove fruitful to ftp to these places and see what there is.

The one at ariel reads:

Internet- Accessible Library Catalogs & Databases

January 28, 1991

Dr. Art St. George, University of New Mexico
Dr. Ron Larsen, University of Maryland

Edited by Karen McKelvey, CERFnet

INTRODUCTION

Internet-Accessible Library Catalogs and Databases is coauthored by Dr.
Art St. George of the University of New Mexico and Dr. Ron Larsen of
the University of Maryland. Dr. St. George says this document, began as
an effort to provide additional service to the network community
locally. However, it became apparent that the library resources were of
broader appeal than that.
        It contains a listing of over 100 online library catalogs and
databases available within the United States and beyond. It contains
listings of U.S. and international library catalogs and databases,
dial-up libraries, Campus-Wide Online Information Systems, and bulletin
board systems. Each listing gives a brief description of the resource
and instructions on how to access it, as well as places to contact for
more information. Listings include such material as Columbia
University's online library catalog (CLIO), Pennsylvanias State
University online card catalog system (PENpages), and the Colorado
Alliance of Research Libraries (CARL) and its 25 individual resource
listings of libraries and information databases, such as the Metro
Denver Facts database.
        This catalog is an ongoing project. If you have any suggestions,
comments, or additions, please send them to Dr. Art St. George by
electronic mail to stgeorge@unmb.bitnet or stgeorge@bootes.unm.edu.
        This document is formatted and edited by Karen McKelvey of the
California Education and Research Federation Network (CERFnet)
(karen@cerf.net).  Carlos Robles of CERFnet also contributes to the
formatting of this document.

This one is quite comprehensive but rather difficult to read; more
like a compendium of whatever the system provider decided to send than
a uniform access instruction list.   Lots of details, enough
information to call up a librarian on the phone if you really needed to.

The second one looks a bit more disjoint; the Internet Resources Guide
(if you poke around a bit) has things organized in one item per file,
and there are lots of disclaimers.

There's a third one which I know about (how?  I just do) that is
produced by Billy Barron (billy@vaxb.acs.unt.edu).  archie doesn't
pick it up because archie doesn't understand VMS.  Look on
	vaxb.acs.unt.edu:LIBRARIES.TXT
This is pretty good on getting you in and out of a bunch of libraries.
It's real clear about what software the system is running and the
keystrokes needed to get to it.  There are generic instructions on how
to use each one, and not a lot of verbiage on what machine the catalog
is running on, phone numbers, times of operation, or anything like that.

            UNT's Accessing On-Line Bibliographic Databases

                By Billy Barron, billy@vaxb.acs.unt.edu

            (C) 1989, 1990, 1991 University of North Texas

                            Introduction

Over the last several years, most university libraries have switched from a
manual (card) cataloging system to a computerized cataloging system.  The
computerized cataloging systems provide users with easy to access and up-to-
date information about the books available in the library.  This ease of access
has been accomplished with the advent of local area networks, dialup
modems, and wide area networks.  For example, anybody on the University
of North Texas campus who has access to the Sytek Local Area Network or
the campus-wide Ethernet can access the UNT's library computer system.
Also, UNT has dialup modems.  Through these modems anybody with a
computer, a modem, and a telecommunication package, such as PROCOMM,
can access the library computer from home.  The wide area networks allow
users free access to other universities' library systems around the
world.

--

Anyway, that should get you started.

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

SCOTT@SKLIB.USASK.CA (Peter Scott/Order Unit Manager/U of Saskatchewan Library/6016) (03/14/91)

GMT

 writes:

>   Is there a list of sites accepting telnet, showing
>   the information they provide?  For example, rumor
>   has it that various library card catalogs are available
>   via telnet ... where?

You might like to know that I hav written a utility for IBM PC users
which helps you find Telnet addresses quickly and easily. What follows
is a description of the utility, including the READ.ME file. If you
have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact me. You
should know that a new version of the utility is in progress and
will be ready in the next week or so:

                            **Announcing**

                               HYTELNET

I have just finished compiling a hypertext browser called HYTELNET,
which you load as a memory-resident, pop-up utility on your PC to give
you instant access to Telnet names and addresses.

The browser is basically a series of ASCII files connected by hypertext
links. The information on the addresses was gleaned from many sources,
the authors of which are mentioned below.

HYTELNET is available by anonymous ftp from Simtel20 and can be found in
the directory PD1:<MSDOS.HYPERTEXT>HYTELN11.ZIP.1

-or-

by anonymous ftp from wuarchive.wustl.edu, and can be found in the
directory /mirrors/msdos/hypertext as hyteln11.zip

I have included the READ.ME file for your information.

                          HYTELNET version 1.1
                              READ.ME FILE
                             December 23 1990

HYTELNET has been written specifically for those users who access the
VAX/VMS Telnet Utility via a modem or the ethernet on an IBM compatible
personal computer.

**Directory Instructions**

If you are running HYTELNET on a hard disk, copy all the files into a
separate directory.  Always load the HYTELNET program from this directory.

At the DOS prompt (in the HYTELNET directory), type HR to install the
program in memory. After it loads, hold the Ctrl key down and depress the
Backspace (<-) key.

**Operations**

Press Ctrl-Backspace to active the program
Press Arrow keys to operate the program
Press F1 key for help
Press ESC to terminate the program
Press Alt-T to remove the program from memory while the program is on
the screen.

It is a memory-resident program which should be called-up before you load
your communications program. Have it sit in the background until you need
to find a Telnet address. To invoke the program just hit the Control and
Back-space keys then follow the directions. When you have read the site
information either hit the Escape key to return the program to the
back-ground, or hit Alt-T to remove it from memory.

**Memory-resident conflicts**

Because the HyperRez program makes no stack calls, it is unaffected by the

One item to remember is that HR.EXE should be unloaded from memory in the
reverse order that it was installed. That means, if you load HR.EXE before
you load another program, then unload it after you unload that program.

Program size:        16065 bytes (HyperRez on disk)
Installed size:      59680 bytes (for program, text, and links)
ASCII file size:     Maximum size in 20K (set by text buffer)
Maximum recall:      Remembers Right-arrow jumps 64 levels deep

**Essential files for running the program**

Program:             HR.EXE  (HyperRez program)
Select hot-key:      HRK.EXE
Title ASCII file:    START.TXT
HyperRez F1 file:    HELP.TXT
Instructions:        READ.ME...this file!

**Acknowledgments**

The original documents which I adapted for this program were written by the
following people who deserve a very large vote of thanks from this author
and anyone who decides to use the program:

Billy Barron
University of North Texas
Internet address: billy@vaxb.acs.edu

Dr. Art St. George
University of New Mexico
Internet address: stgeorge@bootes.unm.edu

Judy Hallman
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Internet address: hallman@unc.bitnet

Marty Solomon
University of South Carolina
Internet address: solomon@univscvm

Diane Kovacs
Bucknell University
Internet address: kovacs@bknlvms

Dr. Ron Larsen
University of Maryland
Internet address: rlarsen@libr.umd.edu
This author takes full responsibility for any errors or omissions.

**Customizing**

You may wish to add your own SITE information or update those sites already
listed. See <CUSTOM> for instructions.

If you have any comments on the program or suggestions for improvement,
contact the author at the following addresses:

  |                    Peter Scott  .  Phone:    306-966-6016         |
  |             Order Unit Manager  .  FAX:      306-966-6040         |
  | Univ of Saskatchewan Libraries  .  ENVOY100: PA.SCOTT             |
  |                      Saskatoon  .  Internet: SCOTT@SKLIB.USASK.CA |
  |   Saskatchewan, Canada S7N OWO  .  an682@cleveland.freenet.edu    |