[comp.misc] Looking for path to IBM-Australia

quodling@blumon.enet.dec.com (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar20.065518.24645@informix.com>, billd@infmx.informix.com
(William Daul) writes:
> I hope one of these groups might be the appropriate group.
>
> I would like to find out if it is possible to get email
> through to IBM-Australia.  If no one has the answer, could
> you suggest someone to contact who might know?
>
> Are they on BITNET?  If so, how would I send through
> the internet to them?
>
> Thanks,  --Bi((

The last time that I tired contacting a friend in IBM Australia, I was told
that for an IBM employee to have the ability to send and or receive mail
electronically from outside of the corporation would require high level
business approval. Apparently their gateway filters both incoming and outgoing
on a per user basis. (Someone from IBM may correct me, but that was the last
status about a year ago.) Boy, am I glad I work for a Networking company...

--
Peter Quodling		         Internet:     quodling@blumon.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation    UUCP: ...!decwrl!blumon.enet!quodling

drake@drake.almaden.ibm.com (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.082035.1@blumon.enet.dec.com> quodling@blumon.enet.dec.com writes:
>The last time that I tired contacting a friend in IBM Australia, I was told
>that for an IBM employee to have the ability to send and or receive mail
>electronically from outside of the corporation would require high level
>business approval.

Not at all true.  Any IBM employee can get access to the Internet with
the approval of their immediate manager.  One electronic signature; that's
it.

Addresses are of the form:  "userid@node.vnet.ibm.com", where "userid at node"
is the user's address on IBM's internal VNET network.

SO, if you have a need to contact an IBMer via e-mail, contact the IBMer
by other means to (1) get them to register if not already done, and (2)
find out their address.  Done!

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake@ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861