[comp.misc] Jargon File Distribution -- an explanation for the simple

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (03/26/91)

In <3586@polari.UUCP> Bruce King wrote:
>   WHY CAN'T YOU FIGURE OUT FTP SITES ERIC?

If you had ever looked at the postings you're flaming me about, you'd realize
that I *have* figured out FTP sites.  The File is archived at two of them.

One of the things I have figured out is that *many people don't have FTP
access*.  Therefore, I have to distribute by mail or news as well.

Since this is a *public* effort, being conducted for *public* benefit and
intended to include the widest possible spectrum of feedback and opinion,
news seems appropriate.

I expect comp.society.folklore will pass and be created shortly.  If it
does, I will move any future postings there.  You and the rest of the
minority of grouchers can unsubscribe.  In fact, I'd consider it a kindness
if you did so.

Exasperated in Malvern...
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

jim@cssinc.UUCP (Jim McCorison) (03/29/91)

In article <1ZvM3X#3FMphr9mmtNz05VjlD96JdFR=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

>One of the things I have figured out is that *many people don't have FTP
>access*.  Therefore, I have to distribute by mail or news as well.

Eric, Thank you for your postings.  I am one of the above mentioned FTP-less
users who is very interested in having the opportunity to read Jargon.  I've
been toying with computers for over 20 years (started on a time shared PDP-8E,
yuch!). I know that there is a large volume of knowledge that I've yet to be
exposed to, and the accumulated Jargon knowledge of the world is a part of it
that sounds quite interesting.  I hope the grousing of a few won't dissuade you.

--
Jim McCorison 				Phone: 206-455-3507
jim@cssinc				Fax  : 206-646-9582