[comp.misc] The Jargon File Re: Re: Re: Re: Respect

gordon@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Gordon E. Greene) (03/24/91)

I for one am not interested in 19 parts of the jargon file.
Why not post it to Alt.jargon.file or Waste.of.bandwidth or some such?
Or at the very least, give it a constant subject line so my news reader can
auto-kill it.
--
--------- You can never have too many ferrets. -----------
gordon@rpi.edu    USERF023@RPITSMTS   USERF023@mts.rpi.edu

rudolf@curano.imp.com (Rudolf Kuenzli) (03/24/91)

In <A{}=Z=$@rpi.edu> gordon@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Gordon E. Greene) writes:

>I for one am not interested in 19 parts of the jargon file.
>Why not post it to Alt.jargon.file or Waste.of.bandwidth or some such?
>Or at the very least, give it a constant subject line so my news reader can
>auto-kill it.

Maybe some of your news readers will have interest in the 19 parts of
the jargon file und you simply don't know it. On the other side I am
interested in the files and I am sure in what ever newsgroup it would be
posted somebody like you would post a message like you did...

--
Don Curano The Magician 		  In real life: Rudolf Kuenzli
Mail Address: rudolf@curano.imp.com

In article <A{}=Z=$@rpi.edu> gordon@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Gordon E. Greene) writes:
> I for one am not interested in 19 parts of the jargon file.

I for one *AM*.

> Why not post it to Alt.jargon.file or Waste.of.bandwidth or some such?

because then people who want it won't get it.

> Or at the very least, give it a constant subject line so my news reader can
> auto-kill it.

/jargon/h:j

> --------- You can never have too many ferrets. -----------

I'll tell El Hrair-rah about you.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

hychejw@infonode.ingr.com (Jeff W. Hyche) (03/26/91)

Why don't you just post the updates and write a script file or a C
program to insert them?  It would be much easer on bandwithed and thouse
of us who like the jargon files can keep upto date and the rest don't
have to wade trought all 19+ postings of it.
--
                                  // Jeff Hyche
    There can be only one!    \\ //  Usenet: hychejw@infonode.ingr.com

dww@math.fu-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff) (03/26/91)

Sorry to waste bandwidth, but:

Thanks, Eric, for the Jargon file! Over here in ftp-free-Europe
we often wonder what all those jargon terms mean. Students ask
me all the time ("What is foobar", etc.) to define terms that I
don't have the foggiest idea what they are.

--
Debora Weber-Wulff
snail: FU Berlin, ZI Fachdidaktiken, Habelschwerdter Allee 45, W-1000 Berlin 33

jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) (03/26/91)

In article <SX8AI78@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <A{}=Z=$@rpi.edu> gordon@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Gordon E. Greene) writes:
>> I for one am not interested in 19 parts of the jargon file.
>
>I for one *AM*.
>
>> Why not post it to Alt.jargon.file or Waste.of.bandwidth or some such?
>
>because then people who want it won't get it.

but there are a whole lot of people who DON'T want it that got it...

I think the biggest complaint is the fact that it was crossposted to comp.misc.
Perhaps if Eric had only posted it to alt.folklore.computers, or equivalent
groups, there wouldn't have been a problem. comp.misc tends to be for specific
Q&A about computer hardware/software that doesn't seem to fit elsewhere in comp.
keep the jargon file in alt.whatever and most folks will be happy.

>--
>Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com
>+1 713 274 5180.  'U`  "Have you hugged your wolf today?"

Have *you* hugged *your* wolf today? (I have...:-)

| John Burton                                                        |
| G & A Technical Software                                           |
| jcburt@gatsibm.larc.nasa.gov                                       |
| jcburt@cs.wm.edu                                                   |
| Disclaimer: Hey, what can I say...These are *my* views, not those  |
|             of anyone else, be they employer, school, or government|

adlacy@unix2.tcd.ie (andrew denis paul lacy) (03/27/91)

YES! I am interested in the jargon file !!!

Even though it's 3/4 megabyte (sorry more even).

And what kind of news reader do people use out there, that it's so much
trouble to skip over the jargon file ???

Please do NOT post all new versions of the jargon file as context
diffs.! I use VAX, Unix, and PC. Unix is the only one I know of that
supports context diffs....and my a/c is not THAT big !

Does anyone have diff and patch for the PC..if so I would then humbly
accept diffs....but in the meantime; while MANY people out there
enjoy, and get much value from the JARGON file [which is FREE!], why
continue complaining ?   It really is VERY easy to skip over it if
you don't want to know.

Cheers, Andy!

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (03/28/91)

According to jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton):
>but there are a whole lot of people who DON'T want it that got it...

That's true of everything on Usenet.  Next argument?
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
   "All this is conjecture of course, since I *only* post in the nude.

In article <1991Mar26.131840.2140@news.larc.nasa.gov> jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) writes:
> but there are a whole lot of people who DON'T want it that got it...

The question needed here is whether the cost of sending it to comp.misc,
over the whole net, was more than sending it to alt.something and then sending
mailed copies to all the people who don't get alt.something. Given the
number of people participating in this project, it's a reasonable assumption
that this is the most cost-effective use of bandwidth... again, over the
whole net.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (03/29/91)

In article <adlacy.670069105@unix2.tcd.ie> adlacy@unix2.tcd.ie (andrew denis paul lacy) writes:
>YES! I am interested in the jargon file !!!
>
>Even though it's 3/4 megabyte (sorry more even).
>
>And what kind of news reader do people use out there, that it's so much
>trouble to skip over the jargon file ???

After all, it transmits for free, right?  I mean, we just walk from the
dorm to the campus computer center and log on, and the news has
magically arrived, right?  So all anyone has to do is skip the free news
they don't want to read!

Right.

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (03/31/91)

Could someone tell me where these FTP sites from which the Jargon file
can be snarfed are?  I seem to have lost the list I had.