[comp.misc] Tinker Toy Computer

rivero@dev8.mdcbbs.com (03/29/91)

Hi. In the Bostom computer museum is a charming device built
out of Tinker Toys(tm) and which apparently plays Tic-Tac-Toe.
One assumes it is powered by springs, weights, rubber bands, or
something. Point is, does anyone know where I can find the plans
to build a copy?

Thanks.

Mike

sfisk@NCoast.ORG (Steven Fisk) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Mar29.151405.1@dev8.mdcbbs.com> rivero@dev8.mdcbbs.com writes:
>Hi. In the Bostom computer museum is a charming device built
>out of Tinker Toys(tm) and which apparently plays Tic-Tac-Toe.
>One assumes it is powered by springs, weights, rubber bands, or
>something. Point is, does anyone know where I can find the plans
>to build a copy?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Mike

 Hi Mike,

   According to the October 1989 issue of Scientific American, the tinker
 toy computer you saw in the Boston Computer Museum was built by six students
 at MIT. The Computer is powered by a crank and uses around 48 rows of
 memory spindles to encode critical moves that might arise during a game
 of tic-tac-toe. The actual details of the computer's operation are too
 complex for me to go into detail here, but you might want to check your
 local library for the October 1989 issue of Scientific American. You might
 also be able to order a back issue or obtain information on who you could
 contact at MIT by calling Scientific American, Inc at (212) 754-0550.

 - Steve Fisk (Internet: sfisk@ncoast.org)