[comp.misc] mouldy floppy diskettes

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.104807.20341@bhpcpd.kembla.oz.au> quy@bhpcpd.kembla.oz.au (Ameuroceasifica) writes:
>Please advise the best way to clean mouldy floppy diskettes.
>The mould appears as dark stains on the visible portion of
>the plastics. The drive makes loud grinding noises when attempting
>but failing to read the disk.

	I'd say "throw it out." The mold has most probably bonded with
the plastic (like some molds do: see tupperware in back of fridge with
2 year old spaghetti noodles). Whatsmore, the grinding sound is most
probably said mold banging against drive head, greatly dirtying and possibly
damaging it.
	OK. What you should do:
		1) Get a drive cleaner and clean your drive head.
			Possibly, take your drive apart and clean the
			head with a Q-tip. It might be that the normal
			cleaners won't do a good job.

		2) Take your floppy out of the plastic cover/case and
			wash it gently with a sponge under cold water
			being careful not to put fingerprints or
			those spaghetti noodles on it. Put back in
			case.

	Do 2 only if you really need the info. A $2 disk isn't worth
a $200 drive.

	- jiro

ps. I disclaim any responsibility for any damage caused by above procedures.
Be careful!
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (04/14/91)

>>Please advise the best way to clean mouldy floppy diskettes.
>>The mould appears as dark stains on the visible portion of
>>the plastics. The drive makes loud grinding noises when attempting
>>but failing to read the disk.

From my experiences in the tropics, mold attacks the binder used in the
magnetic surface, and when it comes in contact with the head, the
material comes off and sticks to the head.  It may be possible to clean
the floppy enough to read it once.  Chances are in any case you will
have to clean your floppy drive head.  My rule is to not ever stick a
diskette in to a drive if you can see mold or fungus on the diskette.
Same is true for cassettes in a cassette player, reel-to-reel tapes,
etc.

--
John Dudeck                                        "Communication systems are
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                              inherently complex".