[comp.misc] Closing a CompuServe Account

dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) (04/05/91)

I have a friend that has a CompuServe account that he doesn't use
and he wants to close it.  The problem is that he doesn't remember
his account number or password.  Any suggestions?

Douglas Krause                     One yuppie can ruin your whole day.
University of California, Irvine   Internet: dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu
Welcome to Irvine, Yuppieland USA  BITNET: DJKrause@uci.edu

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (04/06/91)

In article <27FC6BD2.4420@orion.oac.uci.edu> dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:
>I have a friend that has a CompuServe account that he doesn't use
>and he wants to close it.  The problem is that he doesn't remember
>his account number or password.  Any suggestions?

If s/he's still getting junk mail, I would say write to them and ask what
they need to know to close the account.  If not, it's probably already
closed.  Worst comes to worst, if the account was being paid via
credit card, cancel the card and get a new one;tell them you lost the
card.               -- Darren

--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages, FDTs -----

sam@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Sam Neely) (04/06/91)

In article <27FC6BD2.4420@orion.oac.uci.edu> dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:

>I have a friend that has a CompuServe account that he doesn't use
>and he wants to close it.  The problem is that he doesn't remember
>his account number or password.  Any suggestions?

Call CompuServe's customer service department.  Their number is
+1 800 848 8990 in the US, +1 614 457 8650 otherwise.

	- Sam

terry@jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) (04/07/91)

In article <49913@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:
> In article <27FC6BD2.4420@orion.oac.uci.edu> dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:
> >I have a friend that has a CompuServe account that he doesn't use
> they need to know to close the account.  If not, it's probably already
> closed.  Worst comes to worst, if the account was being paid via
> credit card, cancel the card and get a new one;tell them you lost the
> card.               -- Darren

I really suspect that writing CompuServe would accomplish this
quite nicely. (I have sent e-mail to the original requestor with
the address information.) Do you really want this person to start
lying about credit cards, and going through all of that hassle,
in order to accomplish their goals?
|  Terry Linhardt      The Lafayette Group      uunet!jgaltstl!terry  |

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (04/09/91)

In article <454@jgaltstl.UUCP> terry@jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) writes:
>I really suspect that writing CompuServe would accomplish this
>quite nicely.

Yup.  That's why I suggested it first.

>Do you really want this person to start
>lying about credit cards, and going through all of that hassle,
>in order to accomplish their goals?

That's what "worst comes to worst" means: If all else fails.
(And it really isn't that much hassle, which you would know if
you ever had a credit-card number stolen.)  I don't even think you
need to lie.  Just say "I suspect that in the future, a company I
gave my credit card number to may attempt to charge me for services
I have not received.  Please issue me a new card."  It's only
a hassle if you try to not pay for something already billed.
	     -- Darren

--

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain) (04/09/91)

Written in article <27FC6BD2.4420@orion.oac.uci.edu>
    by dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause):

> I have a friend that has a CompuServe account that he doesn't use
> and he wants to close it.  The problem is that he doesn't remember
> his account number or password.  Any suggestions?

Does he get billed?  They certainly have a phone number or at least an
address on the periodic statement they mail their paying customers.  I'm
sure they'd appreciate a short note letting them know not to expect any
more payments.

I would also imagine that he could simply stop paying those bills, and
CompuServe would take care of it automatically, note or no note.  (I
don't recommend this route, however...  they may exact revenge on his
credit report!)

Sheesh!  Just because we have modern technology doesn't mean the old
stuff's gone away!  Why, I'll bet that with a little work, your friend
could even locate a _typewriter_ to type the note with.  I admit they're
getting harder to find, but they _are_ out there!

> Douglas Krause                     One yuppie can ruin your whole day.

                                     One politician can ruin the rest of
                                     your entire life, and that of your
                                     grand-children!
--
=========== Opinions are Mine, Typos belong to /usr/ucb/vi ===========
"We're sorry, but the reality you have dialed is no longer in service.

michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) (04/11/91)

In article <27FC6BD2.4420@orion.oac.uci.edu> dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:
>I have a friend that has a CompuServe account that he doesn't use
>and he wants to close it.  The problem is that he doesn't remember
>his account number or password.  Any suggestions?

Stop paying the bill. They will cancel the service.

Michael
--
Michael Batchelor--Systems/Operations Engineer #compliments and complaints
WSHB - An International Broadcast Station of   #   letterbox@csms.com

news@rushpc (Usenet news administrator) (04/12/91)

In article <1036@wshb.csms.com> michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) writes:
>In article <27FC6BD2.4420@orion.oac.uci.edu> dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:
>>I have a friend that has a CompuServe account that he doesn't use
>>and he wants to close it.  The problem is that he doesn't remember
>>his account number or password.  Any suggestions?
>

>Stop paying the bill. They will cancel the service.
>
>Michael

This always works for me, utilities, rent....

--

John Rushford
-------------

tmkk@uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.232609.172@rushpc> news@rushpc (Usenet news administrator) writes:
>In article <1036@wshb.csms.com> michaelb@wshb.csms.com ( WSHB Operations Eng) writes:
>>In article <27FC6BD2.4420@orion.oac.uci.edu> dkrause@orion.oac.uci.edu (Doug Krause) writes:
>>>I have a friend that has a CompuServe account that he doesn't use
>>>and he wants to close it.  The problem is that he doesn't remember
>>>his account number or password.  Any suggestions?
>>
>>Stop paying the bill. They will cancel the service.
>>
>This always works for me, utilities, rent....

One potential problem: Compu$urcharge doesn't send you a bill. CI$ normally
bills directly to one's credit card. What do you expect Doug's friend to do,
stop paying his VISA bills? That may get his VISA card revoked, which would
certainly stop the Compu$urcharge billing (the VISA people would of course
inform CI$ that the account had been closed) but I think the side effect of
losing the VISA might be a bit undesirable.

Doug, why not just have your friend call CI$'s VOICE customer service
line and ask them to close his account?

rtdickerson@lescsse.jsc.nasa.gov (russel dickerson) (04/15/91)

In <1991Apr12.181744.15931@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> tmkk@uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) writes:

>One potential problem: Compu$urcharge doesn't send you a bill. CI$ normally
>bills directly to one's credit card. What do you expect Doug's friend to do,
>stop paying his VISA bills? That may get his VISA card revoked, which would
>certainly stop the Compu$urcharge billing (the VISA people would of course
>inform CI$ that the account had been closed) but I think the side effect of
>losing the VISA might be a bit undesirable.

This was one of the chief reasons I cancelled my account.  Compuserve seems
to go out of their way to hide the real cost of service.  The online billing
only gives totals and they NEVER mail a statement.  I've found no way to
determine the cost of each component of the bill other than a SWAG.

And yes, all it took was a phone call to the 1-800 number to cancel.

--
Russell Dickerson          Internet: dickerson@vf.jsc.nasa.gov
Lockheed (LESC), A22       ===================================

schweige@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) (04/16/91)

In article <rtdickerson.671730747@node_25d97> dickerson@vf.jsc.nasa.gov writes:
>In <1991Apr12.181744.15931@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> tmkk@uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) writes:
>

>>One potential problem: Compu$urcharge doesn't send you a bill. CI$ normally
>>bills directly to one's credit card. What do you expect Doug's friend to do,
>>stop paying his VISA bills? That may get his VISA card revoked, which would
>>certainly stop the Compu$urcharge billing (the VISA people would of course
>>inform CI$ that the account had been closed) but I think the side effect of
>>losing the VISA might be a bit undesirable.
>
>This was one of the chief reasons I cancelled my account.  Compuserve seems
>to go out of their way to hide the real cost of service.  The online billing
>only gives totals and they NEVER mail a statement.  I've found no way to
>determine the cost of each component of the bill other than a SWAG.

>Russell Dickerson          Internet: dickerson@vf.jsc.nasa.gov

Actually, complete itemization of Compu$erve charges is available online in
the free (no charge) billing information area.  The 'billing detail' section
gives the connection times and duration for the individual services used
along with the associated charges.  The section also allows the user to
request a specific written statement of charges (this, however, does cost).

I have not, however, found a predetermined way to cancel an CompuServe account
online.

Jeff Schweiger

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

yuan1@husc9.harvard.edu (Nina Yuan) (04/16/91)

In article <2099@aldebaran.cs.nps.navy.mil> schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil (Jeffrey M. Schweiger) writes:

>Actually, complete itemization of Compu$erve charges is available online in
>the free (no charge) billing information area.  The 'billing detail' section
>gives the connection times and duration for the individual services used
>along with the associated charges.  The section also allows the user to
>request a specific written statement of charges (this, however, does cost).
>
>I have not, however, found a predetermined way to cancel an CompuServe account
>online.
>
>Jeff Schweiger
>

>--
>Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
>Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

Try typing GO FEEDBACK.  I believe one of the choices is " cancel
this account."  You'll then be presented with a list of possible
reasons for the cancelation - my favorite is "too expensive."  :)

      /\        /    /      /  \    /           N. H. Yuan
    /    \    /    /------/      \/             Harvard College

rtdickerson@lescsse.jsc.nasa.gov (russel dickerson) (04/16/91)

Unless they've changed since I cancelled about 7 months ago, the itemized
charges are only listed down to the connect time level.  The did not
show the "little" surcharges that were being added on behind the scenes (
ie the Telnet connect fees, etc).  I tried every option on the billing menu
and could not get that level of detail.

Of course, they might have seen the light and changed the system....

--
Russell Dickerson          Internet: dickerson@vf.jsc.nasa.gov
SSE System Project         X Windows & Motif on Apollo/PC/Mac
Space Station Freedom      Phone +1 713 283 5193

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (04/16/91)

I just called the 800 number and gave them my user ID and it
was closed immediately...no problems and the guy was VERY pleasant.

--
Vince Skahan   vince@atc.boeing.com  ...uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince

(what is there in the construction of mobile homes that seems
	to attract tornadoes ??? )