[comp.misc] Prodigy bashing. was: Re: mail to Prodigy

davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) (04/02/91)

I see a lot of prodigy bashing. For a change here's a few words in
defense of prodigy.

In article <Mar.26.20.17.49.1991.9220@remus.rutgers.edu> rauscher@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) writes:
>Quite simply, prodigy sucks if you've ever used the internet.

    Hardly a reasonable comparison. OK, Prodigy is not internet, never was
    never will be, but it offers a host of usefull features that aren't
    available here: stock quotes, headline news, gulf war updates (surprisingly
    well done), Dow Jones news retrieval, and of course all the infamous
    comercial services.

>When I used it I remember:
>  1)  No "chat" mode to talk to other users

    I haven't noticed that here either, and probably wouldn't use it if it
    was available.

>  2)  One bandwidth-hogging advertisement per a screen
>  3)  A complete waste of ten dollars a month

    Well during one not entirely typical month I logged on nearly every day,
    checked the Gulf War update and the headline news (now I only buy the
    paper on Sundays and save a tree), then I checked the price of my stock
    (NCR of course), checked the Dow Jones news retrieval for the latest
    on AT&T's takover attempt, and checked "PC News". Also during the month
    I looked at consummer reports for info on watersaver toilets, and queried
    one of the BBS's for info on laser printers.

    That amounted to at least half an hour a day. Of course I could have
    done the same thing 'commercial free' on Compuserve for only about $150.
    For a savings of $140 a month I'll live with a few advertisements.

    Personally I've never run up against Prodigy's infamous censorship but
    I don't use Prodigy to post notices complaining about Prodigy. Most of
    the 'censorship' occured after Prodigy started charging for E-mail
    services when a few very vocal people started seriously abusing the
    system by flooding the BBS's and other user's personal mailboxes with
    "Boycott Prodigy" messages. I for one was happy to see some of those
    people get kicked off. I'll bet such tactics wouldn't have been dealt
    with kindly here either. Admittedly Prodigy did go overboard for a time
    in trying to squelch such practices.
--
Dave.Lord@SanDiego.NCR.com

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (04/03/91)

davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) writes:
>    Personally I've never run up against Prodigy's infamous censorship but
>    I don't use Prodigy to post notices complaining about Prodigy.

One of my Prodigy messages bounced due to "inappropriate content".
That content, as far as I could determine, was the word "sucks", It
was definitely not used in any way shape or form as a sexual
reference.  Any human I believe would have realized that and passed
the message.  I tried at least 4 ways to get a query to *P*
adminstration in an attempt to understand specifically why the message
was bounced.  I got no response at all.

The $10-15 per month "high cost" of prodigy is no doubt much less than
that required if you had to pay for a full-fledged Internet node.

I've enjoyed Prodigy, have some nice pen-pals & derived some useful
info.  It does serve a different clientele than Internet, so the
flavor of communication is certainly different.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>           bgeer%javelin@bambam.dsd.es.com           <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr1.181020.8836@SanDiego.NCR.COM> davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) writes:
>In article <Mar.26.20.17.49.1991.9220@remus.rutgers.edu> rauscher@remus.rutgers.edu (Rich Rauscher) writes:
>>Quite simply, prodigy sucks if you've ever used the internet.
>    Hardly a reasonable comparison. OK, Prodigy is not internet, never was
>    never will be, but it offers a host of usefull features that aren't
>    available here: stock quotes, headline news, gulf war updates (surprisingly
>    well done), Dow Jones news retrieval, and of course all the infamous
>    comercial services.

Check out clarinet, the commercial news and information service that
uses Usenet protocols.  See biz.clarinet.*

>>When I used it I remember:
>>  1)  No "chat" mode to talk to other users
>    I haven't noticed that here either, and probably wouldn't use it if it
>    was available.

Internet Relay Chat, realtime communication with hundreds of users in
dozens of countries (Australia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, France, Germany,
etc) I use it nearly everyday and so do thousands of other people.
See alt.irc for more information.

[...]
>    Personally I've never run up against Prodigy's infamous censorship but
>    I don't use Prodigy to post notices complaining about Prodigy. Most of
>    the 'censorship' occured after Prodigy started charging for E-mail
>    services when a few very vocal people started seriously abusing the
>    system by flooding the BBS's and other user's personal mailboxes with
>    "Boycott Prodigy" messages. I for one was happy to see some of those
>    people get kicked off. I'll bet such tactics wouldn't have been dealt
>    with kindly here either. Admittedly Prodigy did go overboard for a time
>    in trying to squelch such practices.

When they come after you aren't you going to wish there was someone
left to support you?  Although your own company may not like it when
an employee posts negative comments about it, there isn't much
that any organization can do about any postings that don't originate
from within it.

One thing to remember, is that there are two distinct systems here.
There is the Internet (real time, high speed, global network), and
Usenet (batch information distribution system).  Usenet runs on top of
the Internet and other networks (eg. UUCP dialup phone lines). It has
no central control, you can't get kicked off, if someone is censoring
your feed, you get a feed from someone else (like uunet).  The Internet
however is the metanetwork of regional networks around the world, each
has their own operating policies.  What happens to Prodigy users
everyday cannot happen to Usenet users.  The difference between Prodigy
and the other commecial systems is that the Prodigy management wants to
have total control over what their users can get out of and put into
the system.  There is no true freedom.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony

lev@rsdps.gsfc.nasa.gov (Brian S. Lev) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr1.181020.8836@SanDiego.NCR.COM>, davel@booboo.SanDiego.NCR.COM (David Lord) writes...
>    Personally I've never run up against Prodigy's infamous censorship but
>    I don't use Prodigy to post notices complaining about Prodigy. Most of
>    the 'censorship' occured after Prodigy started charging for E-mail
>    services when a few very vocal people started seriously abusing the
>    system by flooding the BBS's and other user's personal mailboxes with
>    "Boycott Prodigy" messages. I for one was happy to see some of those
>    people get kicked off. I'll bet such tactics wouldn't have been dealt
>    with kindly here either. Admittedly Prodigy did go overboard for a time
>    in trying to squelch such practices.

I was recently reading the Letters to the Editor section of one of the main Mac
magazines (-User or -World, I *always* get them confused!), and there were some
comments in there from Prodigy users whose messages *did* get posted -- AFTER
someone had changed to wording and/or removed some text!  If I read the letters
correctly, none of these messages involved "Prodigy bashing" or sexual subject
matter.

I'm sorry -- despite the limits (sometimes) placed on message language and
content on the various nets, no one (in my knowledge) has gone so far as to
limit Email to what they liked -- or changed the wording of the sender!

I do not currently subscribe to Prodigy, and -- due almost completely to what
I've learned about their "editing" -- have no plans to try them out again (had
a test set-up for a while).

-- Brian Lev

|  Brian Lev/STX                           (301)286-9514   (FTS)888-9514     |
|  NASA Goddard Space Flight Center        DECnet: SDCDCL::LEV  (6153::LEV)  |
|  Advanced Data Flow Technology Office    TCP/IP: lev@dftnic.gsfc.nasa.gov  |
|  Code 930.4                              BITNET: LEV@DFTBIT                |
|  Greenbelt, MD  20771                    TELENET: [BLEV/GSFCMAIL]          |
|     X.400 Address: (C:USA,ADMD:TELEMAIL,PRMD:GSFC,O:GSFCMAIL,UN:BLEV)      |
|   "The ability of a network to knit together the members of a sprawling    |
|   community has proved to be the most powerful way of fostering scienti-   |
|   fic advancement yet discovered."  -- Peter Denning                       |
|     DISCLAIMER: THESE STATEMENTS ARE MY OWN AND *NOT* NASA'S OR STX'S!     |

kmccook@wrdis01.af.mil (Ken McCook) (04/13/91)

I've seen several articles on the net and in the press on this and similar
cases.  The sooner email is protected to the level of Snailmail by federal
law the better, IMHO!  If I was a Pottygy user and my account got terminated
because some jerk(s) didn't like my postings... well, I'd spend lots of time
planning evil things to do to them and hope my lawsuit set a new precedent, so
I'd have enough money from the award to buy a real computer to play with.

Ken

kingsley@hpwrce.HP.COM (Kingsley Morse) (04/18/91)

Does anyone know how to send email to a Prodigy user?

				Thanks,
				   Kingsley

dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com (Danny Low) (04/20/91)

>(Ken McCook)
>I've seen several articles on the net and in the press on this and similar
>cases.  The sooner email is protected to the level of Snailmail by federal
>law the better, IMHO!  If I was a Pottygy user and my account got terminated
>because some jerk(s) didn't like my postings... well, I'd spend lots of time
>planning evil things to do to them and hope my lawsuit set a new precedent, so
>I'd have enough money from the award to buy a real computer to play with.

Email already has the same protection as US Mail. The problem is the
law enforcement agencies have very few people who know the difference
between a floppy and a hard drive. They would not recognize email
if it was in front of their face. Also some of them seem to be trying
to set legal precedence with email that will allow them to snoop
more easily into email than they can with US mail.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
	     HP NPCD   dlow@pollux.svale.hp.com

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (04/20/91)

kingsley@hpwrce.HP.COM (Kingsley Morse) writes:

> Does anyone know how to send email to a Prodigy user?

Ask them for their postal address, compose the letter, add the
correct postage, and mail it.  Oh, email?  Become a Prodigy
user and do it via Prodigy?  Oh, you're not a Prodigy user?
Too bad; you can't send email from outside of Prodigy to a user
on Prodigy (the folks that run it won't let you, probably because
they'd have to get more folks to censor the mail).

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA