[comp.misc] it's turtles all the way down

evan@txsil.lonestar.org (Evan Antworth) (04/13/91)

There's an old story, perhaps apochryphal, that ends with the line
"It's turtles all the way down!". I know I have seen it in print
somewhere. Can someone either provide a published reference for it
or give a convincing rendition of it?

Thanks,

Evan Antworth
evan@txsil.lonestar.org

rjm@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robert J. McArthur) (04/15/91)

Stephen Hawkings, "A Brief History of Time", on one of the first pages.
--
Robert McArthur			Centre for Resource and Environment Studies
	     				     Australian National University

akbloom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Keith Bloom) (04/15/91)

rjm@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robert J. McArthur) writes:

>Stephen Hawkings, "A Brief History of Time", on one of the first pages.
>--

An older reference:  Carl Sagan, "Broca's Brain", 1978, ch. 24: Gott
and the Turtles.

Can anyone find an even older one?

sean@think.com (Sean Colbath) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr15.002132.29831@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> akbloom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Keith Bloom) writes:
>rjm@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robert J. McArthur) writes:
>
>>Stephen Hawkings, "A Brief History of Time", on one of the first pages.
>>--
>An older reference:  Carl Sagan, "Broca's Brain", 1978, ch. 24: Gott
>and the Turtles.
>
>Can anyone find an even older one?

Bertrand Russel.  The story went something like this:  Apparently he was
giving a lecture on cosmology somewhere.  A rather elderly woman came up to
him and said (Ann Elk voice here: Eh-hem!) that she thought that the world
rested on the back of a giant turtle.  Russel chided her, and asked her what
that turtle stood on.  Why, on the back of another turtle, of course.  And
that one?  "Oh, you can't fool me, Mr. Russel.  It's turtles all the way
down!"

Sean Colbath
sean@think.com					...harvard!think!sean
"...and now for something completely different..."

--

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr15.002132.29831@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>
akbloom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Keith Bloom) writes:

| rjm@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robert J. McArthur) writes:

| An older reference:  Carl Sagan, "Broca's Brain", 1978, ch. 24: Gott
| and the Turtles.
|
| Can anyone find an even older one?

I heard it attributed to Henry James.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?

mike@wang.com (Mike Sullivan) (04/15/91)

... Discussion of the origin of the line "It's turtles all the way down"
sean@think.com (Sean Colbath) writes:

>Bertrand Russel.  The story went something like this:  Apparently he was
>giving a lecture on cosmology somewhere.  A rather elderly woman came up to
>him and said (Ann Elk voice here: Eh-hem!) that she thought that the world
	       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>rested on the back of a giant turtle.  Russel chided her, and asked her what
>that turtle stood on.  Why, on the back of another turtle, of course.  And
>that one?  "Oh, you can't fool me, Mr. Russel.  It's turtles all the way
>down!"

"No No, That's A-n-n-E Elk.!"

"So here it is, my theory.  [ and what it is too. ]   EH-HEH-HEH-HEM"

"..."

--
  ________________________
 /                    __  \  | Michael J. Sullivan    | Caution: This message
 \________________________/  | FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN|may have been ********

zweig@cs.uiuc.edu (Johnny Zweig) (04/16/91)

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:

>In article <1991Apr15.002132.29831@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>
>akbloom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Keith Bloom) writes:

>| rjm@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robert J. McArthur) writes:

>| An older reference:  Carl Sagan, "Broca's Brain", 1978, ch. 24: Gott
>| and the Turtles.
>|
>| Can anyone find an even older one?

>I heard it attributed to Henry James.

I heard another version of the Bertrand Russel story -- only he is in India,
talking to some conference on Cosmology, and a man comes up afterwards and
says he is a devout Hindu and he knows that the world is supported on the
backs of four elephants. "But what are the elephants standing on?" asks
Russel. "On the back of a giant turtle." "But what is the turtle standing on?"
"On the back of another, even larger one." "But what is _that_ turtle standing
on?!?" "After that, sahib, it is turtles all the way down."

This version from a Comp-Sci teacher at the University of Oregon. I guess the
source of the second most famous turtle quote (the most famous being
"Cowabunga!" ;-) is one of those cosmic mysteries (urban legends) that is
unkowable....

-Johnny T

ddh@hare.cdc.com (Dan Horsfall) (04/16/91)

In article <MEISSNER.91Apr15003319@curley.osf.org>,
   meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) writes:
> In article <1991Apr15.002132.29831@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu>
> akbloom@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Keith Bloom) writes:
>
> | rjm@vulcan.anu.edu.au (Robert J. McArthur) writes:
>
> | An older reference:  Carl Sagan, "Broca's Brain", 1978, ch. 24: Gott
> | and the Turtles.
> |
> | Can anyone find an even older one?
>
> I heard it attributed to Henry James.
> --

I have Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" open in front of me at
this very instant, and I quote therefrom:

    "A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell)..."

It's the opening sentence of the first paragraph, Chapter 1, page 1.  The
early poster who recollected it being "near the front of the book"
understated his case somewhat :-).

--
   Horse
                                       +    Control Data Corporation

evan@txsil.lonestar.org (Evan Antworth) (04/18/91)

Thanks to all those who replied about the turtle story. As for the oldest
reference to the story, one person attributed to a myth, possibly Hindu.
The oldest published reference that anyone came up with is John Ross's PhD
dissertation "Constraints on Variables in Syntax", MIT, 1968.

--Evan

jwilson@ncratl.AtlantaGA.NCR.COM (Jeff Wilson) (04/19/91)

<1991Apr14.232710.8841@newshost.anu.edu.au>
<1991Apr15.002132.29831@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> <1991Apr15.021623.29256@Think.COM>
<b3x9vl.6k9@wang.com>

>"No No, That's A-n-n-E Elk.!"
>
>"So here it is, my theory.  [ and what it is too. ]   EH-HEH-HEH-HEM"
>
>"..."
That's Anne Elk Brackets Miss Brackets

Would you like to come home with me??

sdbeck@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (04/20/91)

In article <458@txsil.lonestar.org>, evan@txsil.lonestar.org (Evan Antworth) writes:
> Thanks to all those who replied about the turtle story. As for the oldest
> reference to the story, one person attributed to a myth, possibly Hindu.
> The oldest published reference that anyone came up with is John Ross's PhD
> dissertation "Constraints on Variables in Syntax", MIT, 1968.
>
> --Evan

Well, I know the origin of this one is in Indian mythology. However, I do *not*
know if it is Indian or Native American. If it really matters, I can find out,
although I seem to recall from my Indian Philosophies class last semester that
it is, indeed, Hindu.

Dan Becker
Macalester College
St. Paul MN

steves@hpuamsa.neth.hp.com (Steve South CRC) (04/22/91)

Readers of the Terry Pratchett Discworld novels will, of course, know that
there is only one turtle, called the Great A'Tuin. Some thinkers believe that
it (the sex has not yet been determined) is moving through the universe
at a constant pace (the 'steady gait' theory), while others believe that
many turtles are heading for the same place where there will be a unique
cosmic mating followed by the birth of further turtles. This is known as the
big bang theory.

Steve (Sodomy non sapiens) South