[comp.misc] Desktop Computer on its Side

luce@aurs01.UUCP (J. Luce) (04/12/91)

OK, so there are some reasons as to why one should not put the machine
on its side. However, I do it and have only a Hercules M/G clone
half-card  and HD Controller 1/2 card in slots. Everything works well
save for one thing: When I shut off the computer the CMOS (this is a
Hyundai 286-10 AT) loses all its data. When it's flat on a desk, it
doesn't. The connection to the MB is solid? Any ideas?

John Luce               | Life is the leading cause of death
Alcatel Network Systems | -----------------------------------------
Raleigh, NC             | Standard Disclaimer Applies
919-850-6787            | Mail? Here? Try aurs01!aurw46!luce@mcnc.org
                        |        or ...!mcnc!aurgate!luce
-------------------------------- or John.Luce@f130.n151.z1.fidonet.org

jeg@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (John E. Girard) (04/18/91)

I've heard these arguements about on the side versus flat for years
and I'm sure getting tired of them!  In the last 8 years I have worked
with Tandy, Compaq, XT, AT, various clones and Suns in all sorts of
positions and as long as the ventilation is not impaired, it makes
not difference.  The guy who loses CMOS on-the-side clearly has a
unique mechanical fault (or else there is a leak in his substrate :-)

Has anyone noticed that the same components go into tower cases as
go into desktop cases?  There aren't special motherboards for
"vertical markets" >:->

--
John Girard   New Science Associates, Inc.  jeg@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
VOICE: 415-968-3324 ************************** FAX: 415-968-0862

In article <1991Apr17.180001.28450@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> jeg@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (John E. Girard) writes:
> I've heard these arguements about on the side versus flat for years
> and I'm sure getting tired of them!

That's as may be, but (particularly with today's high density hard drives)
it does make a difference.

We have this problem occasionally with our 380 MB ESDI drives: format it
lying flat, turn it on its side, and it starts acting flakey. Turn it flat
again, it's OK. Gravity bends the arms a little, and with these high recording
densities you start hitting the wrong bits.

Just make sure you format the drive in the right orientation and don't try
to run the drive upside down (as it's possible to do with some hardcards,
apparently) it shouldn't be a problem.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com