[comp.misc] Looking for Auspex customer experience

rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) (04/23/91)

We have a requirement in the near future for a Unix system to serve OS and
data to approximately 70 diskless workstations (at least some of which will
be Suns). We know that we will have at least 4 Ethernets, and that we will
have approximately 30-40GB of disk space on it (probably SCSI since IPI is
still twice as expensive). This is to be a dedicated server, i.e. no logins
except for administration.

Auspex is one of the possibilities for this system. I have all the literature,
and have been to presentations by a couple of Auspex's technical people at
the last Sun User Group meeting. What I need is to hear about real-life
experience with them from the customer base (a small group, I realize).

I need to know the following kinds of things:

    1. Your configuration:
       o how many of what workstations across how many nets, what local disk
         do they have, what do they depend on the server for?
       o the configuration of the Auspex itself: model, memory, number of
         I/O processors, total disk space, etc.

    2. Price/Performance:
       o probably most easily measured in subjective terms of response time,
         as well as getting data across the net. Also, how is its performance
         as a router between networks?
       o How did the price you paid compare with other systems you looked at,
         e.g. Sun, Solbourne, etc.? Do you feel its performance justifies any
         extra?
       o How reliable has the system been since you installed it? What level
         of percentage uptime do you have? (This is a major concern since it
         would be the single point of failure for every individual's desktop).

    3. Service:
       o software and hardware - how does the support compare to other major
         vendors you have experience with?

    4. Enhancements:
       o special software added to the basic OS for monitoring system/network
         load and throughput. I know they have this; how good is it, and how
         easy is it to use?

Other general experiences, and overall feelings about the systems, are welcome.

I will summarize to the net when the replies stop trickling in :-). If you
don't want to be quoted at all, or simply don't want your name used, please
let me know and I'll keep it out.

Thank you very much.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM

chl@cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) (04/23/91)

In <1991Apr22.181834.21186@nmt.edu> rmilner@zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) writes:

>We have a requirement in the near future for a Unix system to serve OS and
>data to approximately 70 diskless workstations (at least some of which will

>Auspex is one of the possibilities for this system. I have all the literature,
>and have been to presentations by a couple of Auspex's technical people at
>the last Sun User Group meeting. What I need is to hear about real-life
>experience with them from the customer base (a small group, I realize).

Another possibility is to use Interphase's NC300 (or NC400 for the 490)
coprocessor board (you need 1 for each ethernet). This has the advantage
that you can use it to reconfigure/upgrade your existing Sun servers,
whereas the Auspex is a "start again from scratch" solution (it is difficult
even to re-use your existing SCSI discs).

So may I hear opionions from netters as to how this product works out in
practice? Email and I will summarize (we are geting one on trial, so maybe I
can report on that as well).