[comp.misc] WANTED computer card punch chips

rratclif@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Raymond Ratcliffe) (04/25/91)

		       WANTED computer card punch chips

     Does anyone have or know of a source for computer card punch chips?
Yes, that's right, the little rectangular chips that collect in the
bins of those ancient punch card machines. My SO (Toby) has a need for
what she calls "lots" (i.e. "many pounds") of these chips. She uses
them to mark the water surface when running model ship hull experiments.

     Toby has tried punching chips using a card punch machine here
at DTRC, broke the punch machine, got the bill for the repair, and was
forced to conclude this method was not economic. So, if anyone is still
punching cards and has lots of chips to dispose of, we would like to
hear from you. Of course shipping to Bethesda, MD can be arranged.

Ray Ratcliffe  rratclif@oasys.dt.navy.mil

Toby Ratcliffe 301-227-1638
	       David Taylor Research Center
	       Code 1522
	       Bethesda, MD  20084

acarlson@laurel.math.umass.edu (Adam Carlson) (04/26/91)

In article <7330@oasys.dt.navy.mil> rratclif@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Ray Ratcliffe) writes:

>		       WANTED computer card punch chips
>
>     Does anyone have or know of a source for computer card punch chips?
>Yes, that's right, the little rectangular chips that collect in the
>bins of those ancient punch card machines. My SO (Toby) has a need for

Sorry I can't point you to a source, and actually be useful, but
instead, I'll instead give you a smidgeon of useless trivia.  Those
little computer card punch chips are actually called "chad".  (I got
this from a computer-term-a-day calendar.)  I also vaguely remember
something about them being banned because they are dangerous (they
could get in your eyes or something), but this is probably apocryphal.

You might want to check with a papermill, they still make tractor feed
paper, but they probably (hopefully) recycle.  Also a bindery might
have some.  Would long strips work as well for this project, a
shredder might do the trick.
--
Adam Carlson                  | It's good to know that if I behave
acarlson@math.umass.edu       | strangely enough, society will take