[comp.misc] Reading Core Science Texts for the Blind.

andyn@stpstn.UUCP (Andy Novobilski) (04/25/91)

The Forum column of the March '91 issue of IEEE Spectrum contained
a short article on a volunteer program entitled "Reading for the
Blind."  The article then points out that the RFB program has set
aside four of their 32 studios (Boston, New Haven, Philadelphia,
and Los Angeles) as "science studios."  It also points out that the
need for people that can read core science texts is very great.

Why do I write?  We (my wife and I) decided to check out the pro-
gram.  We went to the studio in New Haven, CT and were immediately
put to work.  They ask for several hours once a week, and have
both AM and PM recording times that span six days a week.  Also,
I believe any studio can read any text, so you don't have to be
near a science center to be able to read that type of text.

I would recommend it as a volunteer activity that is not time
intensive and provides a sense of giving back some of the knowl-
edge you have gained in books to someone who can't access the
material without help.  Think about it.

For more information you can contact their national headquarters
at (609)452-0606.
--
Andy Novobilski     | The Stepstone Corp.  | Object-Oriented Programming:
andyn@stepstone.com | 75 Glen Rd.          | TV Network scheduling based on

lev@slced1.nswses.navy.mil (Lloyd E Vancil) (04/28/91)

In article <6799@stpstn.UUCP> andyn@stepstone.com (Andy Novobilski) writes:
>The Forum column of the March '91 issue of IEEE Spectrum contained
>a short article on a volunteer program entitled "Reading for the
>Blind."  The article then points out that the RFB program has set
>aside four of their 32 studios (Boston, New Haven, Philadelphia,
>and Los Angeles) as "science studios."  It also points out that the
>need for people that can read core science texts is very great.

This service is provided free for those who submit the text to be read
and is very worth while.  I have a friend, Bob, who is blind, and a certified
Electronic Engineer.  Bob has a computer and a reader that allows it to
talk to him.  Last year, I loaned him my copy of PC magazine's PC POWERTOOLS
and he sent it off to these people.  They read it onto tape for him all
thousand plus pages!  It took about four months for them to read the
entire book onto cassette for him.

I also recommend it highly..

--
 | suned1!lev@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov | * S.T.A.R.S.!   .       +      o       |