[comp.misc] Computer Insurance Companies

swansonc@grendel1.acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) (03/28/91)

I am comparison shopping for computer insurace companies like
"SAFEWARE" that advertises in Byte and other magazines.  Does anybody
out there have any experiance with any of these companies or even know
of any others.  Any phone numbers or addresses would be greatly
appreciated.

I do not need the information after 1 Apr, Mon.

	-Thank's in advance,
		-Chris

--
Chris Swanson, Chem/CS/Pre-med Undergrad, St. Olaf College, Northfield,MN 55057
 DDN: (CDS6)   INTERNET:  swansonc@acc.stolaf.edu  UUCP: uunet!stolaf!swansonc

harper@convex.com (David Harper) (03/29/91)

In article <SWANSONC.91Mar27205824@grendel1.acc.stolaf.edu> swansonc@grendel1.acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson) writes:

>I am comparison shopping for computer insurace companies like
>"SAFEWARE" that advertises in Byte and other magazines.  Does anybody
>out there have any experiance with any of these companies or even know
>of any others.  Any phone numbers or addresses would be greatly
>appreciated.

I don't know about other computer insurance companies but I have found
SAFEWARE to be extremely expensive.  Their premium is $235/year for $14K
worth of coverage.  My house coverage premium is only half again as much
and covers several times as much value.  The reason I went with SAFEWARE
in the first place was that I was using my computer for business purposes
and it was not covered on my homeowners insurance.  That is no longer
true and I am in the process of trying to cancel the SAFEWARE coverage.
When I originally called to cancel I was told that I would have to send
a letter indicating my intentions and that I would receive a refund for
the remaining time left on the policy (a little less than two months).
I subsequently received a letter from them indicating that they would go
ahead and cancel my policy on the renewal date due to nonpayment of
premium and that it would not affect my credit rating (!).  When I called
them about this to see why the policy was not canceled immediately (with
my refund) I was told that they would check into this and get back to me.
I'm still waiting...

neal@mnopltd.UUCP (04/27/91)

->>
->>
->>I am comparison shopping for computer insurace companies like
->>"SAFEWARE" that advertises in Byte and other magazines.  Does anybody
->>out there have any experiance with any of these companies or even know
->>of any others.  Any phone numbers or addresses would be greatly
->>appreciated.
->
->I don't know about other computer insurance companies but I have found
->SAFEWARE to be extremely expensive.  Their premium is $235/year for $14K

The card I just got in the mail indicates $129/yr for $14K.   Also, FYI
the underwriter is American Bankers Insurance Group in Miami.  According to
the '90 Best Insurance reports they have a B+ rating, with good current
liquidity.

This price beats all the regular commercial policies I have looked at.

Neal Rhodes                       MNOP Ltd                     (404)- 972-5430
President                Lilburn (atlanta) GA 30247             Fax:  978-4741
                             emory!mnopltd!neal
                         gatech!emory!mnopltd!neal

duncan@ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (04/30/91)

In article <211@mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:

>->I don't know about other computer insurance companies but I have found
>->SAFEWARE to be extremely expensive.  Their premium is $235/year for $14K

I have no experience with SAFEWARE, but that is largely because they would not
provide me with details regarding their policy.  A few years ago when I looked
into this, I called and asked to see what the policy covered.  After several
minutes of discussion with the person who answered he phone, they claimed some
information would be sent.  It never was and I never did business with them.

So I have not experience with them.  However, I would not buy insurance from
someone who won't let you look at (or discuss) the details of the coverage
until after you pay for it!

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (908-699-3910 (w)   609-737-2945 (h))